Death of a 3 speeder

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by [email protected], Apr 1, 2006.

  1. I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
    speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
    on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
    you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
    repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
    on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
    the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
    grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
    to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
    make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
    dike rider.

    Tags:

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
    > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
    > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
    > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
    > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
    > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
    > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
    > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
    > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
    > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
    > dike rider.

    kinda un-ceremonious don't you think?

  3. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
    > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
    > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
    > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
    > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
    > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
    > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
    > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
    > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
    > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
    > dike rider.

    Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
    NYC....

    /s

  4. JD

    JD Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
    > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
    > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
    > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
    > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
    > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
    > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
    > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
    > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
    > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
    > > dike rider.

    > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
    > NYC....
    >
    > /s

    It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
    knock off on them, shunning shitmano. My '78 Speedster has a rare
    "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
    one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.

    JD

    JD

  5. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
    > > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
    > > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
    > > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
    > > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
    > > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
    > > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
    > > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
    > > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
    > > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
    > > > dike rider.

    > > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
    > > NYC....
    > >
    > > /s

    > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
    > knock off on them, shunning shitmano. My '78 Speedster has a rare
    > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
    > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
    >
    > JD

    Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?

    /s

  6. JD

    JD Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    > > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
    > > > NYC....
    > > >
    > > > /s

    > > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
    > > knock off on them, shunning shitmano. My '78 Speedster has a rare
    > > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
    > > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
    > >
    > > JD

    > Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
    >
    > /s

    No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
    poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
    view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
    licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
    and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
    manufacturer was though.

    JD

  7. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > JD wrote:

    > > > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
    > > > knock off on them, shunning shitmano. My '78 Speedster has a rare
    > > > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
    > > > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
    > > >
    > > > JD

    > > Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
    > >
    > > /s

    > No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
    > poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
    > view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
    > licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
    > and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
    > manufacturer was though.
    >
    > JD

    Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
    SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
    they're always classy rides.

    /s

    /s

  8. JD

    JD Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    > > Scott Gordo wrote:

    > > > Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
    > > >
    > > > /s

    > > No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
    > > poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
    > > view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
    > > licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
    > > and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
    > > manufacturer was though.
    > >
    > > JD

    > Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
    > SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
    > they're always classy rides.
    >
    > /s

    It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
    gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
    (in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
    getter/short distance commuter.

    JD

  9. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > JD wrote:

    run. The 3

    I start

    me tell

    off to

    flat fix

    hours of

    minutes and

    I needed

    six will

    Dutch

    in

    SA

    for

    > > > No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
    > > > poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
    > > > view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA

    and
    > > > licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
    > > > and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
    > > > manufacturer was though.
    > > >
    > > > JD

    > > Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
    > > SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
    > > they're always classy rides.
    > >
    > > /s

    > It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
    > gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
    > (in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
    > getter/short distance commuter.
    >
    > JD

    With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
    Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  10. JD

    JD Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Scott Gordo wrote:

    > run. The 3

    > I start

    > me tell

    > off to

    > flat fix

    > hours of

    > minutes and

    > I needed

    > six will

    > Dutch

    > in

    > SA

    > for

    > and

    > > > Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
    > > > SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
    > > > they're always classy rides.
    > > >
    > > > /s

    > > It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
    > > gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
    > > (in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
    > > getter/short distance commuter.
    > >
    > > JD
    > >

    > With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
    > Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla

    There's a Speedster fanatic in the city I live in who has about a dozen
    of them. I met him at the local Schwinn dealer who has been in
    business with Schwinn through thick and now thin for years. They
    consign old bikes and usually have a few vintage Schwinns in the
    consignment rack. With the waning availability of old balloon tire
    Schwinns, the Schwinn three speeds are begining to get a lot more
    popular as utilitarian/cruiser bikes.

    JD

  11. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > run. The 3

    > > I start

    > > me tell

    > > off to

    > > flat fix

    > > hours of

    > > minutes and

    > > I needed

    > > six will

    > > Dutch

    > > in

    > > SA

    > > for

    > > and

    > > > It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
    > > > gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
    > > > (in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
    > > > getter/short distance commuter.
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > > >

    > > With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
    > > Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla

    > There's a Speedster fanatic in the city I live in who has about a dozen
    > of them. I met him at the local Schwinn dealer who has been in
    > business with Schwinn through thick and now thin for years. They
    > consign old bikes and usually have a few vintage Schwinns in the
    > consignment rack. With the waning availability of old balloon tire
    > Schwinns, the Schwinn three speeds are begining to get a lot more
    > popular as utilitarian/cruiser bikes.
    >
    > JD

    They're a lot easier to ride than those new Schwinn "Chopper" bikes
    too. Will any of those make it past mile 3? I think not.
    Hack-phooie!
    In all fairness, should really have "" around Schwinn too....
    /s