Death on the Streets by Robert Davis

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mseries, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?

    No. But I have a copy I'd be willing to lend to you (you are over in York frequently ISTR so it'd be
    easy to get it to you)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?
    >
    > No. But I have a copy I'd be willing to lend to you (you are over in York frequently ISTR so it'd
    > be easy to get it to you)
    >
    > Arthur

    I'd appreciate that Arthur, I am in York every day during the week, at the Science Park. Lets take
    this to email and arrange something. (mseries 1965 at hotmail dot com or the reply address)

    Martin

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Science Park. Lets take this to email and arrange something. (mseries 1965 at hotmail dot com or
    : the reply address)

    Didn't work for me. This post (like all of mine) has a valid and un-munged reply address.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Science Park. Lets take this to email and arrange something. (mseries 1965 at hotmail dot com or
    >> the reply address)
    >
    > Didn't work for me. This post (like all of mine) has a valid and un-munged reply address.
    >
    > Arthur

    Email on its way, the two addresses should work BTW

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:32:20 -0000, "MSeries" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    > Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?

    As it happens I lost mine and Bob sent me a new one, so I will see if I can find the old copy.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Arthur Clune wrote:

    > MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?
    >
    > No. But I have a copy I'd be willing to lend to you (you are over in York frequently ISTR so it'd
    > be easy to get it to you)

    Is it out of print? I'll ask him on Monday.

    Colin McKenzie

  8. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Colin McKenzie wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >
    >> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?
    >>
    >> No. But I have a copy I'd be willing to lend to you (you are over in York frequently ISTR so it'd
    >> be easy to get it to you)
    >>
    > Is it out of print? I'll ask him on Monday.
    >
    > Colin McKenzie

    Tell Bob that I met him at the Tour in 199?. My wife gave him a Guiness T Shirt !

  9. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > OK you got me... what's it about?

    From memory the subtitle is "Cars and the mythology of road safety" or something similar. It
    examines the beliefs that the work done in improving road safety is effective, e.g. introduction of
    compulsory seat belts, redesigning of accident black spots etc. He puts forward pretty convincing
    evidence that much of the work done has little or no effect and can often have a negative effect.

    This is from memory of reading it a good few years back. I think I'll read through it again if I can
    find it amongst all my boxes of books!

    Graeme

  10. MSeries wrote:

    > Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?

    There's a second hand one going for a fiver + p&p on Amazon.co.uk at the moment.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "If I knew I'd live this long, I would have taken better
    care of myself."

  11. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?
    >
    > There's a second hand one going for a fiver + p&p on Amazon.co.uk at
    > the moment.

    Yes I saw that, thats my next option if I can't get one on here. The seller
    hasn't been on there for very long so I'd rather not risk the hassle of having to
    claim my money back if he turns out to be dodgy.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 5 Mar 2004 13:12:20 -0800, [email protected] (Michael
    Green) wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >> Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want to sell ?
    >OK you got me... what's it about?

    It is a an interesting and well-researched (if slightly polemical) investigation
    of the road safety lobby, and the way in which they have managed to portray
    roads as safer because they are now so dangerous that the vulnerable are too
    scared to use them.

    The thesis of the book is essentially that much road safety policy is based
    on measuring the wrong things. So for example, a road which is so dangerous
    as to deter pedestrians entirely has a good safety record, while a road
    which encourages pedestrians and suffers a higher casualty rate as a result
    is seen as bad.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  13. > Does anyone have a copy of this book that they want
    > to sell ?

    Try a public library?

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.601 /
    Virus Database: 382 - Release Date: 29/02/2004