death penalty in Arnold´s land

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by el Ingles, Jan 17, 2006.

1. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Am I the only one to wonder at the execution of a 76 year-old man who was blind , añmost deaf , confined to a wheelchair had diabetes and cronic heart problems ? If you wanted to really punish the SOB then letting him live would probably be the nastiest thing you could do : so is Arnold trying to use the death penalty to restore his flagging electoral popularity ?

Tags:

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

He's being executed for ordering the murder of witnesses while he was behind bars. I'm not a death penalty supporter, but I have no sympathy for this man.

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Arnold is not using the death penalty to bolster his ratings, but granting this guy clemency would probably have lowered them and that may have played part in his decision.

We don't want to "do the nastiest thing we can do", we want violent subhuman scum convicted of the most atrocioius crimes imaginable to be executed as the proper punishment. Blind, diabetic, parapalegic vermin are still vermin.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

What I don't wonder about is the execution of a man who strangled his son's girlfriend because she was talking about his criminal activities, and then orchestrated the shotgun murder of three more people, including a 17 year old girl, while he was in jail.

I'm not a death penalty advocate either, but in this case I have no problem with the outcome.

5. Dondare

Dondare New Member

As I understand it, laws in Merrycar are made by Senators who are elected by the great unwashed to represent them. The death penalty exists there because it is what the Merrycan people want. The Guvner is also elected by the people to represent them and therefore to carry out their wishes. In a democracy, the Guvner has to obey and enforce the law.

Except for the bit about having a licence to ride motorbikes, it would seem.

6. CrippledCheatah

CrippledCheatah New Member

quite simply put, if you don't like the laws, i highly recommend you don 't break them.
    i personally don't like the death penalty, but in some cases, its justified. but what i find funny is that the repubs (GOP's) are pro-life, they are trying to abolish abortion. how can you be a death penalty advocate and pro-life advocate at the same time? :cool:

7. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You could be elected senator yourself in several states. :rolleyes:

8. 1988dist3champ

1988dist3champ New Member

And the Dems. are pro abortion and anti death penalty:cool:.

9. Cod

Cod New Member

That's a very crude definition of democracy. By that reasoning the majority are always right. Does that make Hitler a democrat, given that the majority of germans at the time supported his antisemitic ravings? A true democracy represents a broad range of views, and avoids extremes at both ends of the spectrum.

10. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

:D :D :D

Anybody notice the lack of attention this guy's execution got? I think this was because of two reason.
    1: The argument of "Give him life without parole. That way he can't harm anyone else." doesn't cut here since he was in for life before he ordered the other murders.
    2: It was Golden Globes night.

11. cali-largeguy

cali-largeguy New Member

I live in Fresno where the 3 murders took place. Trust me, we had it covered by the local stations. The scumbag deserved to die irregardless of the fact that he's old, diabetic, etc. He got that way by being alive long enough for his body to start failing. Something the 17 year old he had killed will never know about.

12. JDub7

JDub7 New Member

Think about it for a moment: The State took a man, strapped him down and then killed him. The question is not so much whether this killing is justified based upon the man's vicious criminal past, but rather whether it is ethical (or moral) for society to perform such an act?

Are we (in the form of our Government) on a higher moral ground than the convicted when we execute a man? Many (at least in the posts so far) would argue that the answer is yes because the condemned man was evil. This logic requires that one assume it is less wrong to kill a "bad person" than to kill a "good person"? But if that were the case, wouldn't it require us to look at the character of the murder victim in determining whether a convicted killer should be put to death? Kill a "good person" go to jail - kill a "bad person" go to the death chamber. ("Well yes, you did kill that fellow, but lucky for you he really was a rotten guy, so we're only going to sentence you to life in prison.") That is a slippery and dangerous slope.

My thought is that killing this man, no matter how evil he is, simply is not ethical. Each time we choose to execute someone, we loose a little piece of our humanity and contribute to the coarsening of our society.

13. BimmsAndBices

BimmsAndBices New Member

He should have been executed years ago, after he killed his first victim(s), before he was crippled and blind and deaf and killed more people. But no, they get appeal after appeal after appeal to prolong their pathetic, worthless life, while wasting actual human being's money. Good riddance to a piece of shit.

14. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

That kind of talk scares me. The appeal process is absolutely necessary because we don't always convict the right person.

15. BimmsAndBices

BimmsAndBices New Member

Your right, the appeal process is necessary. I think eveyone should get one, or two if absolutely needed. But I don't think that prisoners need to keep getting them after their second appeal is lost, that being the third time they are proven guilty. This guy just used it as a loophole to keep alive. Probably a religious guy and wanted to delay his trip to Hell.

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

If you execute a killer your are a murderer,in some views.
    If you eat animals your are a murderer,in some views.
    If you eat palnts only,you are also taking life and are a murderer, in some views I suspect.

Who has the moral high ground to say where the line should be drawn? Plants have a basic nervous system.Bacteria are struggling to survive.They live,reproduce and adapt to attack.

My opinion, senseless, needless killing is murder.
    Now debate what is senseless.

17. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

I agree with you about the appeals process. It is necessary, especially when you consider that a lot of criminals get a public defender who was probably not first in his class and has few connections and little money. Mistakes do happen.
    What troubles me is when it takes too long. Take tookie. Nevermind the books, the Nobel prize, snoppy dogg dogg... He was convicted, he did it, no question. But after 20 years all of his appeals have been rejected because...well because he was guility. But, supporters state saying 'tookie is innocent, he didn't do it. This was wrong with the trial, that was wrong with the jury.' Well now people, who know nothing of the facts of the case, start saying; "You can't execute this man, there are questions about his guilt. The trial wasn't fair." Now it makes the state look like they rushed to judgement and put the guy to death five minutes after the trial.

And as far as Clarence was concerned, he should have been executed when he was healthy.
    Anyone know that Clarence has a heart attack a couple of years ago, and THEY REVIVED HIM!!!:eek: DOH!

18. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Not really correct, as implying that they're pro abortion means that they'd want everyone to have an abortion. They are in favor of individuals being able to make their own decision on abortion rather than having the government make it for them.

It's like calling someone "pro religion" for wanting freedom of religion. He might choose to be an athiest, but the important thing is that the choice was his to make.

19. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

This mo' fvcker more than deserves to die for the crimes he committed. Being blind, deaf and confined into a wheelchair... c'mon...

20. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

If we can draw a line then it should be down to the reasons for murder. Take survival for instance, we kill animals in order to eat and live. In prehistoric times this was murder for survival. If you get into a situation where you are in a life or death situation, during war, in prison riot or similar then you have a lawless state where you may be killed unless you kill your assailant.

These may be classed by some people as murder. But to most rational thinkers, murder is pre-meditated and driven by emotion, not need. Murder is carried out by people who want to kill, not people who need to kill.

The latest execution was not a matter of need. He was no threat to anyone.

This is where i draw the line.