rec.bicycles.rides archive · Public discussion

Deathride vs. Climb to Kaiser

Started by Jeffss · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,963 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides archive
Published
8 March 2004
Last activity
8 March 2004
Original author
Jeffss
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,963
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How does the Climb to Kaiser compare to the Death Ride?
    I have read the stats but would like to hear people's
    opinions. Looks smaller, more relaxed and tougher.
    Thanks Jeff

  2. jeffss said:

    How does the Climb to Kaiser compare to the Death Ride?
    I have read the stats but would like to hear people's
    opinions. Looks smaller, more relaxed and tougher.
    Thanks Jeff

    From the club riders who have done both, Kaiser is longer,
    hotter, and steeper. Kaiser has about 40 continuous miles of
    climbing, and there's a pretty substantial section at 18%.
    Temperatures over 100F are commonplace.

    I plan to do Kaiser this year, but not the Death Ride. I do
    my own version of the Death Ride, with about a dozen others.
    We have Markleeville to ourselves.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  3. [email hidden] (jeffss) wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    How does the Climb to Kaiser compare to the Death Ride?
    I have read the stats but would like to hear people's
    opinions. Looks smaller, more relaxed and tougher.
    Thanks Jeff

    By far the better ride is Climb To Kaiser. I rode DR from
    1988 thru 2000, and it has turned into a circus. When I
    first went to Markleeville in '88, there were just under 500
    riders. I saw it grow into a full-fledged 3-ring circus with
    over 3250 riders in the mid-90's.

    By contrast the CTK is must better covered by support
    workers, and is much nicer riding territory. There is one
    piece of stiff climbing - Big Creek Grade, ave 14% - but
    it's only about 4 miles long. There are 3 other climbs of
    substance, Wildcat at ± mile 21 [about 2-2.5 miles @ about
    10-12%], Tollhouse at ± mile 37 [longish, varying gradients,
    but around 6-8% ave.], and then after Big Creek Grade you
    top it off with Kaiser Pass Road [about 7 miles, nothing
    much to speak of at the bottom; the "good stuff" starts when
    the road narrows about 2 miles from the top! Not real steep
    though.] You end up with about 10k feet of climbing over a
    60 miles stretch [mile 21 to the top], and then another 3k
    feet of climbing on the descent; I understand it's the same
    ridge line that the road snakes over 3 different times;
    nothing to write home about.

    I've ridden CTK the past 2 years and the heat has never been
    a factor. There's a mass start at 0530, well before the
    valley starts to warm up. On the way back there's only about
    20 miles on the valley floor and that would be later in the
    afternoon [or early evening if you climb with the dexterity
    that I do!].

    Fresno Cycling has a limit on the ridership of about 300
    IIRC, which yields *OUTSTANDING* support on the road, and at
    the rest stops.

    --
    Doug Goodwin YMMV

    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold
    it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress
    up, get out training and when you come back, you then know
    how cold it is. --Sean Kelly

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.