deaths change RAAM rules

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Callistus Valerius, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. The 2006 Race Across America (RAAM), one of the world's most physically
    demanding cycling events, will feature a new solo division requiring
    cyclists to take mandatory rest stops.

    The new category comes in the aftermath of two deaths in the past three
    years. There had been no fatalities in the event's first 21 years.

    After starting at the Embarcadero on San Diego Bay the past three years, the
    June 11 and 13 starts will be moved to the Oceanside Pier for logistical
    purposes.

    Riders in the Solo Category will be required to rest for 40 hours during the
    race. With the winners typically requiring at least nine days to cycle
    3,000-plus miles to Atlantic City, N.J., top cyclists will average about
    four hours of rest per day.

    Riders may rest at any of 20 designated control points along the course.
    Cyclists will be required to rest for two hours at five mandatory control
    points spread across the country.

    "There are several reasons we're making changes, not the least is to
    de-emphasize sleep deprivation," RAAM race director Jim Pitre said.

    While saying he didn't think mandatory rests would have prevented the
    fatalities in 2003 and 2005, Pitre said the deaths were a factor in the new
    rules.

    "We do know, generally speaking, riders will be more alert on the road and
    that's a positive," he said.

    In an effort to appease long-time RAAM purists, soloists may still pedal
    across the country without taking required stops. That class will be called
    the Nonstop Record Category and will offer prize money only if the men's or
    women's world records are broken.

    The Solo Category is expected to offer $10,000 to the winners.

    Reaction among cyclists to the mandatory-rest class has been mixed.

    Mike Trevino of San Diego, who finished second in 2004 and was riding second
    again last year when he dropped out with a shoulder injury, said he was "a
    little disappointed."

    "It's the antithesis of the intent of RAAM and why it started (24) years
    ago," Trevino said. "I don't know if it makes the race any safer. One person
    might need two hours' sleep to be safe, another might need five hours."

    Trevino said he's undecided if he'll enter the 25th anniversary of RAAM in
    June. If he does, he said he'll compete in the Nonstop Record Category.

    Tags:

  2. amit

    amit Guest

    Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > The 2006 Race Across America (RAAM), one of the world's most physically
    > demanding cycling events, will feature a new solo division requiring
    > cyclists to take mandatory rest stops.

    which division has the drug tests ?

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The 2006 Race Across America (RAAM), one of the world's most physically
    > demanding cycling events, will feature a new solo division requiring
    > cyclists to take mandatory rest stops.
    >
    > Riders may rest at any of 20 designated control points along the course.
    > Cyclists will be required to rest for two hours at five mandatory control
    > points spread across the country.
    >
    > "There are several reasons we're making changes, not the least is to
    > de-emphasize sleep deprivation," RAAM race director Jim Pitre said.

    > In an effort to appease long-time RAAM purists, soloists may still pedal
    > across the country without taking required stops. That class will be called
    > the Nonstop Record Category and will offer prize money only if the men's or
    > women's world records are broken.

    This whole article is full of fun stuff, including the paras from the
    past RAAMer who was against the changes ("spirit of the event"?).

    But what we really need to know, Callistus: will this completely spoil
    RAAM for you?

    In my opinion, this makes RAAM's solo class slightly less stupid.

  4. On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:02:54 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >This whole article is full of fun stuff, including the paras from the
    >past RAAMer who was against the changes ("spirit of the event"?).
    >
    >But what we really need to know, Callistus: will this completely spoil
    >RAAM for you?

    I also want to know if they still allow slings to hold up the riders'
    heads. To me, that's the essence of RAAM. That's weird wild stuff.

    So will they? Maybe Callistus knows.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > The 2006 Race Across America (RAAM), one of the world's most physically
    > demanding cycling events, will feature a new solo division requiring
    > cyclists to take mandatory rest stops.
    >
    > The new category comes in the aftermath of two deaths in the past three
    > years.

    <snip>

    Dumbass -

    I am against the new rules. We need to lobby FRed Across America to
    stay in its original form, allowing social Darwinism to take its
    course.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  6. >
    > This whole article is full of fun stuff, including the paras from the
    > past RAAMer who was against the changes ("spirit of the event"?).
    >
    > But what we really need to know, Callistus: will this completely spoil
    > RAAM for you?
    >
    > In my opinion, this makes RAAM's solo class slightly less stupid.

    We call ourselves "raamsters" not "raamers". The more mandatory sleep
    the better.

  7. > >This whole article is full of fun stuff, including the paras from the
    > >past RAAMer who was against the changes ("spirit of the event"?).
    > >
    > >But what we really need to know, Callistus: will this completely spoil
    > >RAAM for you?
    > >

    > I also want to know if they still allow slings to hold up the riders'
    > heads. To me, that's the essence of RAAM. That's weird wild stuff.
    >
    > So will they? Maybe Callistus knows.
    >
    > JT

    Creative ways of dealing with Shermer's neck, is in the spirit of the
    event http://www.ultracycling.com/training/neck_pain.html

  8. Callistus Valerius wrote:

    > We call ourselves "raamsters" not "raamers".

    Dumbass -

    "Freds"

    will do just fine.

    thanks,