Debate in Westminster hall about Road Fatalities

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>
>> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>[to Ekul Namsob:]

>>>So all an unlicensed driver has to do is enlist the ephemeral and
>>>temporary assistance of any old licensed driver while he fills up.

>> To which most drivers' response would be 'no'.
>> Luke

> Why would it? If the learner driver next door asked me to accompany him
> down to the filling station, assist him with filling up and then come
> straight home, why would I refuse?

Cos you're busy/watching telly/doing the ironing/******/otherwise engaged
and don't have the time to spare for such a nonsense errand?

Are you insured to drive his car?

clive

Clive George wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ekul Namsob wrote:

>>> To which most drivers' response would be 'no'.

>> Why would it? If the learner driver next door asked me to accompany
>> him down to the filling station, assist him with filling up and then
>> come straight home, why would I refuse?

> Cos you're busy/watching telly/doing the ironing/******/otherwise
> engaged and don't have the time to spare for such a nonsense errand?

That's no way to treat a neighbour I have known since he was a small boy.

> Are you insured to drive his car?

The answer to that last bit is "Yes - of course I am, I am insured
whilst driving *anyone's* car (with their permission)".

But who said anything about driving it?

In news:[email protected],
JNugent <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:

> Good job we don't smoke. But I suppose all lighters are butane-powered
> these days.

Nope, Zippos have not yet been banned on H&S grounds. However, if you
choose to run a Zippo on Super Unleaded, be very careful where you carry it,
as it can:

o make your kecks small distinctly odd, and
o impart interesting chemical burns to your anatomy

Do not ask me how I know this...

--
Dave Larrington
There ought to be a /La/ against it.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:12:37 +0000, JNugent
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>> [email protected] (Ekul Namsob)typed

>>>Before I passed my test, there would have been no occasion on which I
>>>would have wanted to buy fuel when a fully-licensed driver was not
>>>accompanying me.

>[to Ekul Namsob:]
>
>So all an unlicensed driver has to do is enlist the ephemeral and
>temporary assistance of any old licensed driver while he fills up. The
>way to get round that would be to have a recorded database audit trail
>back to every licence-holder for every drop of fuel sold - and a way
>of establishing which particular drops of petrol or diesel were in the
>combustion chamber at the moment of collision.

Oh my god! Not another population tracking database proposal. Do you
work for Nulabour?

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> JNugent <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
> to tell us:
>

>>Good job we don't smoke. But I suppose all lighters are butane-powered
>>these days.

> Nope, Zippos have not yet been banned on H&S grounds. However, if you
> choose to run a Zippo on Super Unleaded, be very careful where you carry it,
> as it can:
>
> o make your kecks small distinctly odd, and
> o impart interesting chemical burns to your anatomy
>
> Do not ask me how I know this...

Ouch!

:)

Mark wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:12:37 +0000, JNugent
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>>

>>>[email protected] (Ekul Namsob)typed

>>[to Ekul Namsob:]
>>
>>So all an unlicensed driver has to do is enlist the ephemeral and
>>temporary assistance of any old licensed driver while he fills up. The
>>way to get round that would be to have a recorded database audit trail
>>back to every licence-holder for every drop of fuel sold - and a way
>>of establishing which particular drops of petrol or diesel were in the
>>combustion chamber at the moment of collision.

> Oh my god! Not another population tracking database proposal. Do you
> work for Nulabour?

I think the person who proposed it might - even if unknowingly. I was
pointing out that to work (meaningfully), a simple ban on selling
petrol to anyone not producing a full licence would not be sufficient.
A database would be necessary in order to make it work.

x-no-archive:On 9 Dec, 19:39, Ian Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Use a proper threading newsreader, then. One that uses all the
> headers, not just an incomplete subset.

Thank you for the Ian.

Where would I get such a newsreader?

x-no-archive:On 10 Dec, 00:25, JNugent
<[email protected]> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding confrontational (not my aim at all), I wonder
> how much advice on usenet etiquette I could possibly need from someone
> posting to newsgroups through a web-based portal.- Hide quoted text -

What does that mean?

Why does it disqualify me from complaining about lazy snippers?

x-no-archive:On 10 Dec, 09:20, marc <[email protected]>
wrote:
> raisethe wrote:
> > x-no-archive:On 9 Dec, 18:25, marc <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> Which point was it you were replying to?

> > The point I replied to with all the dross attached to it.

> Which you snipped.
>

> >> If you're going to alter the subject of a thread, change the subject
> >> header

> > I'm not sure about that.

> Doesn't anyone know how to post properly anymore?
>
> I can find it disorientating when a subject
>
> > I've been following disappears from the discussion page.

> How do you know it has disappeared and not just ended? Do you spend your
> life in a haze of disorientation due to Usenet threads ending?

Dunno, but I can't really make much sense of any part of your reply.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=newsreader>

--

Tim

raisethe wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>At the risk of sounding confrontational (not my aim at all), I wonder
>>how much advice on usenet etiquette I could possibly need from someone
>>posting to newsgroups through a web-based portal.- Hide quoted text -

> What does that mean?

It means I shan't be taking lessons in usenet posting from anyone
posting via the web.

> Why does it disqualify me from complaining about lazy snippers?

It doesn't. Neither does it entitle you to have any notice taken of
your recommendations.

JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>
> > JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>[to Ekul Namsob:]

> >>So all an unlicensed driver has to do is enlist the ephemeral and
> >>temporary assistance of any old licensed driver while he fills up.

> > To which most drivers' response would be 'no'.

> Why would it?

Because most drivers have no good reason to help an unlicensed driver
buy fuel and have better things to do. For instance, I'd rather be
cycling or rambling on uk.rec.cycling.

> Don't you think your scheme is starting to sound a little over-complex?

It's not my scheme.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

x-no-archive:On 13 Dec, 00:36, JNugent
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It means I shan't be taking lessons in usenet posting from anyone
> posting via the web.

Yes, I got that bit, but what is it about posting directly onto a
google group that has ****led you? Surely those using newsreaders are
similarly inconvenienced by lazy snippers, or am I missing something?

On 12 Dec, 23:07, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Where would I get such a newsreader?

> <http://www.google.com/search?q=newsreader>
>
> --

Thanks. Sorry, I should've googled or wikipeed before doing that post.

x-no-archive:On 13 Dec, 03:20, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <06754929-f1a0-4fc0-ae37-8f2247d93089
> @i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, raisethe
> [email protected] says...
>
> > Where would I get such a newsreader?

> http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am suffering from a
Vista OS and I don't think it will work with that.

Nevertheless, at least I now know what a newsreader is and can
investigate whether or not its worth getting one.

raisethe wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>It means I shan't be taking lessons in usenet posting from anyone
>>posting via the web.

> Yes, I got that bit, but what is it about posting directly onto a
> google group that has ****led you? Surely those using newsreaders are
> similarly inconvenienced by lazy snippers, or am I missing something?

It's the way that the thread becomes jumbled (for the Google poster as
well as others) and all the extraneous "see quoted material/text"
stuff (which could/should be trimmed out by the poster, since it
serves absolutely no function outside Google).

Ekul Namsob wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Ekul Namsob wrote:

>>>To which most drivers' response would be 'no'.

>>Why would it?

> Because most drivers have no good reason to help an unlicensed driver
> buy fuel and have better things to do. For instance, I'd rather be
> cycling or rambling on uk.rec.cycling.

Most people have a general incentive to assist people they know as
friends/neighbours or relatives. I wouldn't hesitate.

>>Don't you think your scheme is starting to sound a little over-complex?

> It's not my scheme.

Oh, OK.

raisethe wrote:
> x-no-archive:On 13 Dec, 03:20, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <06754929-f1a0-4fc0-ae37-8f2247d93089
>>@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, raisethe
>>[email protected] says...
>>

>>>Where would I get such a newsreader?

>>http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

> Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am suffering from a
> Vista OS and I don't think it will work with that.
>
> Nevertheless, at least I now know what a newsreader is and can
> investigate whether or not its worth getting one.

Thunderbird will work with Vista, and it's free.

<http://www.mozilla.org>

But how do you send email? You may well already use Outlook Express,
which also works (quite well) as a newsreader.

JNugent wrote:
> raisethe wrote:
>> x-no-archive:On 13 Dec, 03:20, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> In article <06754929-f1a0-4fc0-ae37-8f2247d93089
>>> @i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, raisethe
>>> [email protected] says...

>>> http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

>> Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am suffering from a
>> Vista OS and I don't think it will work with that.
>>
>> Nevertheless, at least I now know what a newsreader is and can
>> investigate whether or not its worth getting one.

> Thunderbird will work with Vista, and it's free.
>
> <http://www.mozilla.org>
>
> But how do you send email? You may well already use Outlook Express,
> which also works (quite well) as a newsreader.

If using Outlook Express or Thunderbird, I recommend not using the same one
as email program as well. Too much risk of posting with your email address
in clear as sender !

Also, recommend the plug-in for Outlook Express called Quote-Fix; it
auto-fixes a few problems which Outlook Express tends to insert into news
postings.

I find Outlook Express completely acceptable as a news reader, and then use
Thunderbird for email.
OE's only major shortcoming is lack of very sophisticated filtering for
heavily trolled newsgroups.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,