Debating between two bikes

wannatour

Oct 20, 2005
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APR-5500-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/X-Ray-Details.html

The Aprisa is on sale for 699 right now and the xray is supposed to be released in march with a 10 speed cassete and 2 front cogs for 999 I plan to use the bike for commuting 12 miles each way, recreational riding and Triathlons(never done a TRi gonna learn how to swim i just started riding and love it and was already a runner). I like the Cyclocross for the durability but would the different seat angles make a big difference in a triathlon? Can the Aprisa handle my commute? not a lot of bumps but some occasianal ones. Both will be an improvement to my trek mtb and borrowed RAliegh 550 technium with broken front shifter and 6 speed cassete (1980's or older?) I have never owned a road bike before and was set on the xray but the aprisa has a nice price. I appreciate any insite regarding geometry and the difference it makes

Anytime you're looking for a new bike, you should try and ride a few. That's tough with mail order. Any reason you've limited your search to just this one manufacturer? You can find some pretty good bikes sub-$1000 now. A good local bike shop can show you some bikes, help you get "fit" properly (which is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR) and provide you with service, club, training, and race info etc...As you progress in the sport(s) you will better be able to determine whether or not you need a dedicated time-trial bike for triathlon.

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Anytime you're looking for a new bike, you should try and ride a few. That's tough with mail order. Any reason you've limited your search to just this one manufacturer? You can find some pretty good bikes sub-$1000 now. A good local bike shop can show you some bikes, help you get "fit" properly (which is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR) and provide you with service, club, training, and race info etc...As you progress in the sport(s) you will better be able to determine whether or not you need a dedicated time-trial bike for triathlon.
I have stopped in at a few lbs and cannot find 105 components for sub 1000 I dont want to go with sora or tiagra as I want the bike for a long time and I test rode a sora and 105 bike and felt a huge difference in the ease of shifting.( could have just been in my mind) the technium and my trek sometimes have trouble shifting and it anoys the hell out of me. IBEX does have a 30 day guaranty so i would be out 70 bucks in shipping(both ways) if i didnt like it.

This time of year, depending on where you are, there should be lots of bikes with 105 under 1K. My wife just got a new Trek 1500 for under $900. Where are you located?

af2nr said:
This time of year, depending on where you are, there should be lots of bikes with 105 under 1K. My wife just got a new Trek 1500 for under $900. Where are you located?
I am in minnesota

All the major bike makers have 105 bikes for around $900. Maybe cheaper if ya find a good deal. Ya gotta ride a bike before ya buy it, unless you get a full custom made for your measurements.

Well said. Most people wouldn't drop $50 on shoes without trying them on. Pay a few extra bucks to buy from a knowledgeable shop. My first bike was a frame size too small. Although I was able to stretch the fit with a 130mm stem later on, it never did optimize my performance, and handling suffered some. I did turn it into my first TT bike though. If you find you like the sport, you'll soon start dreaming of different bikes, and if you specialize in road, tri, cyclocross, or whatever, you'll "find" the money to get the next machine. How many bikes will you need? My motto is: N+1 (N = the Number you have Now!) Plus test riding bikes is FUN! Have some fun!

Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P-3 SL
Bianchi Giro
Serotta CXII CS
Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp