Debbie Grater's story on being accused of causing Shaken Baby Syndrome

John

Guest
Yahoo groups email list - People falsely accused of SBS
Debbie Grater, Listowner Debbie's testimony

I had been a child care provider for several years and never
once imagined that anything would ever go wrong but this is
my story of the day my life and the lives of those I love
changed forever.

It was December 15, 2000 a normal babysitting day for me
until approximately 3:30 that afternoon. It was then I was
catapulted into the world of false allegations of Shaken
Baby Syndrome .

I was caring for a 4-month old little boy for 9 days and on
the 10th day he had been to the doctor's office that morning
for a " Well Baby " check and routine immunizations which
consisted of the DTaP, Hibiter, Hepatitis B, Prevnar and
Polio. He was dropped off by his mother at roughly 10:00
a.m. that morning. I was told by the mother there was infant
Tylenol in the diaper bag if he needed it.

I had changed his diaper and fed him and placed him in the
infant seat and he was pretty content. At approximately 1:00
p.m. he fell asleep and I placed him in the playpen in my
daughter's room. The other children kept running through the
hallway and continued to be loud and woke him up .I then
moved him to my bedroom on a crib mattress on the floor so
the other children would not wake him because my daughter's
room only had a half door where my room had a full door and
it would be quieter for him. I checked on him every 15 to 20
minutes to make sure he was okay and did not have any fever.

It was approximately 3:30 when I went to check on him and
found him unresponsive and barely breathing. It was then I
picked him up and took him to my husband's desk where I then
called 911.

The paramedics showed up and asked where he was at. She then
scooped him up and ran him to the waiting ambulance. Within
a few minutes there was a knock at the door and it was the
police. The detective asked if he could talk to me for a few
minutes about the condition of the child that day and the
911 call. I said sure. I told him the child had been to the
pediatrician that morning and given routine immunizations as
well as the age of the child and any other information I
could provide him with. Within a few minutes they were gone
and I did not hear from them on whether or not they would be
back in touch with me or not.

It was roughly 9:50 p.m. and my husband and I were getting
ready for bed when there was a knock at the door. It was the
detective with two other gentlemen and they asked if they
could talk to us. I allowed them to come in and the
detective asked me if I could come down to the station and
give them a statement in writing. I asked him if I could
come down first thing in the morning since I was ready for
bed and my kids were sleeping. He said we would like to do
it now that it would only take about an hour.

My husband was making a call to get someone to stay with the
kids so he could go with me and the detective said it is ok
you can stay here we will take your wife and bring her back
this way you do not have to bother anyone. I voluntarily
went to the station to give them a statement because I had
nothing to hide and felt if I did not cooperate with them
they would think I had something to hide.

When I arrived at the station I was taken into a room and
that is when I was asked the events of the day and what led
up to me calling 911. At the conclusion of that statement
and after I signed it I was getting ready to go back home
and I asked the detective if he knew the status of the child
because I had not heard anything from the parents on how he
was doing because I was concerned about him.

The detective called Children's Hospital to find out how he
was and returned by telling me he was no longer in any
danger of dying but did have a subdural and subarachnoid
hematomas and retinal hemorrhaging. They also said he had a
possible bilateral femur fractures which it turned out that
he did not have any fractures. I was relieved to hear he
was going to be okay but little did I know the worse was
yet to come.

The juvenile detective and the other two men present who
were the county homicide detectives then began to ask me
more questions. During this time there was no documentation
of the conversation and the questions they were asking were
no longer voluntary but accusatory statements wanting to
know what I did to him that a child does not just sustain
these injuries from nothing at all. They even asked how I
changed a diaper too. I was asked the same things over and
over and kept telling them I did nothing to him. By then I
did not even know what time it was and just wanted to go
home I was given a paper to sign before I left and then was
taken home. It turns out that the paper I signed was a
second statement. I was not even aware of until I got it
from my attorney. When I got home my husband asked what was
going on and what they had done to me . It was after 1:30 in
the morning and he said I was very emotional.

On the morning of December 16, 2000 I went to the hospital
early in the morning due to the chest pains. I was having
like anxiety or panic attacks. I spent several hours there
before I came home with my husband under his care and was
told if I got worse he was to bring me back to the
hospital. We got home from the hospital and decided to lay
down and take a nap because the kids were sleeping. It was
around 4:00
p.m. when there was a knock at the door.When we went and
answered the door there were five officers here and
they told my husband sorry we have to arrest your wife.

The one county detective followed me into my bedroom when I
went into get changed and get sneakers on. I then took my
clothes to the bathroom because I was not changing in front
of him. He stood out of the bathroom door asking me if I was
ok. He even had the nerve to ask my husband why didn't you
tell us your wife was like this? My husband replied to him I
think you made a mistake here my wife is good with kids and
she would not do something like this

I never was even read my rights nor did I see an arrest
warrant although they said that they had requested one be
issued in the police criminal complaint.

I was taken to the station and finger printed and
photographed then taken to the judge and arraigned. Bail was
set at $5,000. Once at the prison I was denied access due to
lack of medical clearance. I was to be taken back to the
hospital for an evaluation however the police took me back
to the station and placed me in a holding cell and I was
later transferred to a Inpatient facility for a psychiatric
evaluation where I had to stay for 5 days beforeI could be
released under the condition of the bail.

Upon my release I began to research this so called "Shaken
Baby Syndrome" and found out that many times over these
adverse reactions to the vaccines were being misdiagnosed as
Shaken Baby Syndrome and that SBS is only a theory and never
proven to be a truly understood entity. By reading and
researching these medical journals it was clear that the
experts in the field could not even agree on what SBS
actually is ! Even more shocking was that I discovered many
Adverse Reactions to these vaccinations were able to mimic
what is thought to be SBS. Upon further researching the
vaccines I was shocked to see that Tens of Thousands of
Children are damaged and even killed by vaccines. I had
always thought vaccines were safe.

I found that the ingredients in vaccines were nothing more
than a witches brew of animal blood, toxic metals,
neurotoxins, viruses, bacteria, and even pesticides ! Yes
Pesticides! Thimerosal is a common ingredient in many
vaccines is a registered pesticide with the (EPA)
Environmental Protection Agency. Thimerosal is nearly 50%
mercury as well and that a routine "Well-Baby-Visit" can see
a child get injected with up to 62.5 mcgs of Mercury ! The
EPA guidelines for acceptable Mercury exposure are 0.1 mcgs.
of mercury per kilogram of body weight per day. The child in
my case was given over 40 times the "safe" amount in a
matter of minutes- directly into his bloodstream and shortly
before he was dropped off at my home.

As well this child had an indication of a possible
neurological condition as his head size was abnormally
large. The Physicians Desk Reference clearly states " that
any child with an underlying neurological condition SHOULD
NOT BE VACCINATED."

Vaccines carry serious and sometimes fatal consequences and
people need to know this so they can truly make an informed
choice. They also need to know what to do to avoid legal
pitfalls in choosing what gets put into their bodies or
their children's body .

I was left no choice but to take a plea agreement of "No
Contest" to 2 years probation as I could have faced up to 15
years in prison in the aforementioned case. I chose not to
risk what a jury would decide as most people ( like myself
at one time) believed vaccines were safe. I chose to secure
that my children would grow up with their mother. I have
picked up the pieces and moved on but this will always be
with me no matter what. I continue to maintain my innocence
and plan to make a difference by raising awareness and
helping others in similar straits. The system needs help and
parents/caretakers need to be informed. In my case I believe
this child was damaged by vaccines, and so did some doctors.
We also found out after the fact that he did indeed have an
underlying problem that pre-dated my contact with him. If
you would like to know more about my case you can contact me
at the following e-mail address: [email protected]

Sincerely, Debbie Grater

john wrote:
> Yahoo groups email list - People falsely accused of SBS
Debbie Grater,
> Listowner Debbie's testimony
>
> I had been a child care provider for several years .....

Or so she says.

I don't suppose you have a link to any of the court
documents so we can see what other evidence she faced when
she decied to plead no contest.