Debbie Grater's story on being accused of causing Shaken Baby Syndrome

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Yahoo groups email list - People falsely accused of SBS
    Debbie Grater, Listowner Debbie's testimony

    I had been a child care provider for several years and never
    once imagined that anything would ever go wrong but this is
    my story of the day my life and the lives of those I love
    changed forever.

    It was December 15, 2000 a normal babysitting day for me
    until approximately 3:30 that afternoon. It was then I was
    catapulted into the world of false allegations of Shaken
    Baby Syndrome .

    I was caring for a 4-month old little boy for 9 days and on
    the 10th day he had been to the doctor's office that morning
    for a " Well Baby " check and routine immunizations which
    consisted of the DTaP, Hibiter, Hepatitis B, Prevnar and
    Polio. He was dropped off by his mother at roughly 10:00
    a.m. that morning. I was told by the mother there was infant
    Tylenol in the diaper bag if he needed it.

    I had changed his diaper and fed him and placed him in the
    infant seat and he was pretty content. At approximately 1:00
    p.m. he fell asleep and I placed him in the playpen in my
    daughter's room. The other children kept running through the
    hallway and continued to be loud and woke him up .I then
    moved him to my bedroom on a crib mattress on the floor so
    the other children would not wake him because my daughter's
    room only had a half door where my room had a full door and
    it would be quieter for him. I checked on him every 15 to 20
    minutes to make sure he was okay and did not have any fever.

    It was approximately 3:30 when I went to check on him and
    found him unresponsive and barely breathing. It was then I
    picked him up and took him to my husband's desk where I then
    called 911.

    The paramedics showed up and asked where he was at. She then
    scooped him up and ran him to the waiting ambulance. Within
    a few minutes there was a knock at the door and it was the
    police. The detective asked if he could talk to me for a few
    minutes about the condition of the child that day and the
    911 call. I said sure. I told him the child had been to the
    pediatrician that morning and given routine immunizations as
    well as the age of the child and any other information I
    could provide him with. Within a few minutes they were gone
    and I did not hear from them on whether or not they would be
    back in touch with me or not.

    It was roughly 9:50 p.m. and my husband and I were getting
    ready for bed when there was a knock at the door. It was the
    detective with two other gentlemen and they asked if they
    could talk to us. I allowed them to come in and the
    detective asked me if I could come down to the station and
    give them a statement in writing. I asked him if I could
    come down first thing in the morning since I was ready for
    bed and my kids were sleeping. He said we would like to do
    it now that it would only take about an hour.

    My husband was making a call to get someone to stay with the
    kids so he could go with me and the detective said it is ok
    you can stay here we will take your wife and bring her back
    this way you do not have to bother anyone. I voluntarily
    went to the station to give them a statement because I had
    nothing to hide and felt if I did not cooperate with them
    they would think I had something to hide.

    When I arrived at the station I was taken into a room and
    that is when I was asked the events of the day and what led
    up to me calling 911. At the conclusion of that statement
    and after I signed it I was getting ready to go back home
    and I asked the detective if he knew the status of the child
    because I had not heard anything from the parents on how he
    was doing because I was concerned about him.

    The detective called Children's Hospital to find out how he
    was and returned by telling me he was no longer in any
    danger of dying but did have a subdural and subarachnoid
    hematomas and retinal hemorrhaging. They also said he had a
    possible bilateral femur fractures which it turned out that
    he did not have any fractures. I was relieved to hear he
    was going to be okay but little did I know the worse was
    yet to come.

    The juvenile detective and the other two men present who
    were the county homicide detectives then began to ask me
    more questions. During this time there was no documentation
    of the conversation and the questions they were asking were
    no longer voluntary but accusatory statements wanting to
    know what I did to him that a child does not just sustain
    these injuries from nothing at all. They even asked how I
    changed a diaper too. I was asked the same things over and
    over and kept telling them I did nothing to him. By then I
    did not even know what time it was and just wanted to go
    home I was given a paper to sign before I left and then was
    taken home. It turns out that the paper I signed was a
    second statement. I was not even aware of until I got it
    from my attorney. When I got home my husband asked what was
    going on and what they had done to me . It was after 1:30 in
    the morning and he said I was very emotional.

    On the morning of December 16, 2000 I went to the hospital
    early in the morning due to the chest pains. I was having
    like anxiety or panic attacks. I spent several hours there
    before I came home with my husband under his care and was
    told if I got worse he was to bring me back to the
    hospital. We got home from the hospital and decided to lay
    down and take a nap because the kids were sleeping. It was
    around 4:00
    p.m. when there was a knock at the door.When we went and
    answered the door there were five officers here and
    they told my husband sorry we have to arrest your wife.

    The one county detective followed me into my bedroom when I
    went into get changed and get sneakers on. I then took my
    clothes to the bathroom because I was not changing in front
    of him. He stood out of the bathroom door asking me if I was
    ok. He even had the nerve to ask my husband why didn't you
    tell us your wife was like this? My husband replied to him I
    think you made a mistake here my wife is good with kids and
    she would not do something like this

    I never was even read my rights nor did I see an arrest
    warrant although they said that they had requested one be
    issued in the police criminal complaint.

    I was taken to the station and finger printed and
    photographed then taken to the judge and arraigned. Bail was
    set at $5,000. Once at the prison I was denied access due to
    lack of medical clearance. I was to be taken back to the
    hospital for an evaluation however the police took me back
    to the station and placed me in a holding cell and I was
    later transferred to a Inpatient facility for a psychiatric
    evaluation where I had to stay for 5 days beforeI could be
    released under the condition of the bail.

    Upon my release I began to research this so called "Shaken
    Baby Syndrome" and found out that many times over these
    adverse reactions to the vaccines were being misdiagnosed as
    Shaken Baby Syndrome and that SBS is only a theory and never
    proven to be a truly understood entity. By reading and
    researching these medical journals it was clear that the
    experts in the field could not even agree on what SBS
    actually is ! Even more shocking was that I discovered many
    Adverse Reactions to these vaccinations were able to mimic
    what is thought to be SBS. Upon further researching the
    vaccines I was shocked to see that Tens of Thousands of
    Children are damaged and even killed by vaccines. I had
    always thought vaccines were safe.

    I found that the ingredients in vaccines were nothing more
    than a witches brew of animal blood, toxic metals,
    neurotoxins, viruses, bacteria, and even pesticides ! Yes
    Pesticides! Thimerosal is a common ingredient in many
    vaccines is a registered pesticide with the (EPA)
    Environmental Protection Agency. Thimerosal is nearly 50%
    mercury as well and that a routine "Well-Baby-Visit" can see
    a child get injected with up to 62.5 mcgs of Mercury ! The
    EPA guidelines for acceptable Mercury exposure are 0.1 mcgs.
    of mercury per kilogram of body weight per day. The child in
    my case was given over 40 times the "safe" amount in a
    matter of minutes- directly into his bloodstream and shortly
    before he was dropped off at my home.

    As well this child had an indication of a possible
    neurological condition as his head size was abnormally
    large. The Physicians Desk Reference clearly states " that
    any child with an underlying neurological condition SHOULD

    Vaccines carry serious and sometimes fatal consequences and
    people need to know this so they can truly make an informed
    choice. They also need to know what to do to avoid legal
    pitfalls in choosing what gets put into their bodies or
    their children's body .

    I was left no choice but to take a plea agreement of "No
    Contest" to 2 years probation as I could have faced up to 15
    years in prison in the aforementioned case. I chose not to
    risk what a jury would decide as most people ( like myself
    at one time) believed vaccines were safe. I chose to secure
    that my children would grow up with their mother. I have
    picked up the pieces and moved on but this will always be
    with me no matter what. I continue to maintain my innocence
    and plan to make a difference by raising awareness and
    helping others in similar straits. The system needs help and
    parents/caretakers need to be informed. In my case I believe
    this child was damaged by vaccines, and so did some doctors.
    We also found out after the fact that he did indeed have an
    underlying problem that pre-dated my contact with him. If
    you would like to know more about my case you can contact me
    at the following e-mail address: [email protected]

    Sincerely, Debbie Grater

  2. Cbi

    Cbi Guest

    john wrote:
    > Yahoo groups email list - People falsely accused of SBS
    Debbie Grater,
    > Listowner Debbie's testimony
    > I had been a child care provider for several years .....

    Or so she says.

    I don't suppose you have a link to any of the court
    documents so we can see what other evidence she faced when
    she decied to plead no contest.