Decal question

Mikko Kosonen

Guest
Hello Just repainted my 92 Bianchi Rekord frame and received decal set from dealer. However these
are vinyl adhesive type and i was wondering what kind of final coat of laquer i should use with
these? I have used waterslide type decals before and these work like charm with any laquer type.
dont wanna ruin whole job with curling and wrinkled mess ;oP Any experiences? Cheers Mikko Kosonen

"Mikko Kosonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just repainted my 92 Bianchi Rekord frame and received decal set from dealer. However these are
> vinyl adhesive type and i was wondering what kind of final coat of laquer i should use with these?
> I have used waterslide type decals before and these work like charm with
any
> laquer type. dont wanna ruin whole job with curling and wrinkled mess ;oP Any experiences? Cheers
> Mikko Kosonen

Bianchi uses vinyl stickers with a clear coat currently on several models.

Test a piece of the vinyl with your clear before beginning, as some clears will dissolve the vinyl
carrier more rapidly than others. We're using Nason enamel with good results lately.

After painting, appply the stickers and then mist the sticker areas to seal the edges and prevent
the sticker from melting.When the mist coat has flashed follow with a full clear pass. Keep a light
touch there. As with all clears it is easy to overdo it.

If your paint has fully set ( takes four to eight hours) you will have to scuff the surface with 600
to get reasonable adhesion of your clear. It's better to plan ahead and shoot the clear a couple of
hours after painting and before the color coat has set.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mikko Kosonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just repainted my 92 Bianchi Rekord frame and received decal set from dealer. However these are
> > vinyl adhesive type and i was wondering what kind of final coat of laquer i should use with
> > these? I have used waterslide type decals before and these work like charm with
> any
> > laquer type. dont wanna ruin whole job with curling and wrinkled mess ;oP Any experiences?
> > Cheers Mikko Kosonen
>
> Bianchi uses vinyl stickers with a clear coat currently on several models.
>
> Test a piece of the vinyl with your clear before beginning, as some clears will dissolve the vinyl
> carrier more rapidly than others. We're using Nason enamel with good results lately.
>
> After painting, appply the stickers and then mist the sticker areas to seal the edges and prevent
> the sticker from melting.When the mist coat has flashed follow with a full clear pass. Keep a
> light touch there. As with all clears it is easy to overdo it.
>
> If your paint has fully set ( takes four to eight hours) you will have to scuff the surface with
> 600 to get reasonable adhesion of your clear. It's better to plan ahead and shoot the clear a
> couple of hours after painting and before the color coat has set.

A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.

[email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A biking companion of mine just recovered from his obsession with decals. He now has a nice old
> English touring bike repainted with NO DECALS at all. It looks wonderful and advertises nothing.

The best looking bike I have is a DL1 stripped of all paint and nickel plated. Maintenance free too!