Decathlon - road bike for 120

John Hearns

Guest
I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.

They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.

Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
or the basis for a project.
The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
steel, but I would actually bet on steel.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...s/Road_racing_bik/product_6374292/index.html#

ps. they have a lightweight sleeping bag for 20 quid.
It weights 810 grammes. Temperature range to 11C, so not for Everest
North Face.

John Hearns wrote:
> I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.
>
> They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
> Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
> The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.
>
> Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
> or the basis for a project.
> The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
> steel, but I would actually bet on steel.
> http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...s/Road_racing_bik/product_6374292/index.html#

And the 7.0kid is only GBP 89.. wonder if it is worth a trip over there
with Rachel..

...d

John Hearns wrote:
> I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.
>
> They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
> Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
> The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.
>
> Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
> or the basis for a project.
> The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
> steel, but I would actually bet on steel.
> http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...s/Road_racing_bik/product_6374292/index.html#
>
> ps. they have a lightweight sleeping bag for 20 quid.
> It weights 810 grammes. Temperature range to 11C, so not for Everest
> North Face.

I saw the bike on their website the other day. They seem to have
replaced the 7.1, 7.2 ... series with these Sport 1, Sport 2, Sport 3
models. I was hoping to get over to Surrey Quays today but it was not to be!

I'm sure it's excellent value for money even if many of the components
are likely rubbish. Being a French company they offer road bikes as well
as MTB's at the bottom end of their range which is a pleasant change. I
bought my daughter a 7.1 last year as she wanted a road bike, was too
big for the cheap 7.0 kid - the reason we went to Decathlon - and we
both have been very happy with it.

It's not a real LBS but there's a fine selection of bike PrOn for
browsing, there's a good selection of reasonable shirts and shorts and
the pane au chocolat's not too bad either!

Julesh

John Hearns posted:
> I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.
>
> They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
> Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
> The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.
>
> Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
> or the basis for a project.
> The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
> steel, but I would actually bet on steel.
> http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...s/Road_racing_bik/product_6374292/index.html#

We've had bikes from Decathlon before, mostly Mountain Bikes, as we used to
live literally round the corner in Eastwood Notts. They were all absolutely
excellent value for money. Even using 'cheap' components they lasted well,
I guess because they take a 'holistic' approach and seem to match
componentry better than many companies who use a smattering of 'good' stuff
with the cheap and hence get variability in component life.

Some of the bargains when they run sales are unbelievable, but are variable
and not normally advertised, so each trip can be an exercise in 'spot the
offer'. :)

The cafe was interesting and nutricious too ... ;)

--
Paul - *** mobile

(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

David Martin wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
>
>>I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.
>>
>>They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
>>Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
>>The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.
>>
>>Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
>>or the basis for a project.
>>The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
>>steel, but I would actually bet on steel.
>>http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...s/Road_racing_bik/product_6374292/index.html#

> And the 7.0kid is only GBP 89.. wonder if it is worth a trip over there
> with Rachel..

If anyone has comments on the 7.0kid, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm
thinking of introducing the apprentice to drops, and a lighter bike than
the one he's got now.

John Hearns wrote:
> I popped into Decathlon to get some spares over lunchtime.
>
> They're doing a road bike for £119. Triple front ring, seven on rear.
> Has down-tube shifters, I didn't recognise the make.
> The rear derallieur looks an ancient design.
>
> Still, for that price may make a good introductory bike for someone,
> or the basis for a project.
> The frame said 'Made in France' on it, I wasn't sure if aluminium or
> steel, but I would actually bet on steel.

I had a bike from Carrefour with Made in France on the stay; on
dismantling the headset (many times!) to replace it I found the forks
were stamped "China". But it did the job for a knock down price and
much of it is still going on my audax bike. By the time you add some
decent gears and STI's you would be better off with a Saracen Tour at
just over 200, but for a basic hack it looks OK, and is a lot cheaper
than the Raleigh and Saracen down tube shifter alternatives