Decathlon Road Bikes

Colin

Guest
I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
come across their cycling specific website...

www.decathloncycle.com

....with detailed specs of their bikes in english. They look an
absolute bargain...

For example...
Model 7.4(with shimano 105 groupset) 900euros around 600pounds
Model 9.1(with shimano ultegra groupset) 1000euros around 675pounds

I was wondering if anyone has bought any of their bikes and if they
are any good? Also and input if these would be good bikes to buy (I
have done a few triathlons and my mountain bike just doesn't cut it) I
would be greatful!

Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
channel anyway...

Colin

On 15/9/04 11:28 am, in article
[email protected], "Colin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> www.decathloncycle.com

They look very good, don't they. Especially the kids versions. I like the
B-twin coming with rack, kickstand, lights and bell for 179 euro in 24".
That could be my daughters next bike (in a couple of years).

I like the way they do a couple of small road bikes in 650c. Great idea and
a great price too.

...d

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:28:02 -0700, Colin wrote:

> I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
> come across their cycling specific website...

Cycling Plus have done reviews of their bikes in recent months.
They have a new website with reviews on.
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/Biketestdetails.asp?id=644

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

> I like the way they do a couple of small road bikes in 650c. Great idea and
> a great price too.

How easy is it to find 650 tyres tho'?

I am a confirmed Decathlon addict - every time I go to France or London I
make a beeline for the place.

Their Penta Racing own brand clothing is miles cheaper than any other
quality brands.

Their sales are amazing, I picked up a full Windtex winter jacket in april
for 30 EUROS and a pair of windtex gloves in Paris the day before the TDF
finished for 8 euros!! I also managed to pick up a pair of cofidis bib
shorts a few days after the david millar affair came to light for only 35
euros.

I recently saw a ksyrium elite front wheel in their canada water store for
£88!!!!

I cant speak for their bikes since I have never ridden or owned one but they
look perfectly well made to me and use pretty generic shimano/campag kit so
I would image they are perfectly fine.

I would go for it - you are sure to get a bargain.

hth

Chris

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
> come across their cycling specific website...
>
> www.decathloncycle.com
>
> ...with detailed specs of their bikes in english. They look an
> absolute bargain...
>
> For example...
> Model 7.4(with shimano 105 groupset) 900euros around 600pounds
> Model 9.1(with shimano ultegra groupset) 1000euros around 675pounds
>
> I was wondering if anyone has bought any of their bikes and if they
> are any good? Also and input if these would be good bikes to buy (I
> have done a few triathlons and my mountain bike just doesn't cut it) I
> would be greatful!
>
> Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
> britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
> channel anyway...
>
> Colin

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I am a confirmed Decathlon addict - every time I go to France or London I
> make a beeline for the place.

I've yet to make it to any of the UK stores, but have stepped foot in a
significant proportion of the French ones. My Decathlon cycling shoes,
while now falling apart (Foam coming out on side of one shoe) are still
amazingly comfortable. I was intending to replace them last Easter but
the store we tried was a smaller one and didn't stock the full range.
Their own brand cycling mitts are also still going strong after about 6
years wear and easily outlasted the Altura ones that I bought at the
Cycle Promotions event in Edinburgh. The gel oozed out of the pads after
about a month of wear and it took some time to remove the various sticky
bits from by bike.

If they'd stocked the 7.4 when I was shopping for a new bike last
summer, I'd have had one, but at that point they didn't hold that range
in the UK.

Jon

>Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
>britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
>channel anyway...

Yup - in Bordeaux, Vernon got a pair of basic cycle shorts for 9 Euros. The
same shorts in the UK are £7.99

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
> come across their cycling specific website...
>
> www.decathloncycle.com
>
> ...with detailed specs of their bikes in english. They look an
> absolute bargain...
>
> For example...
> Model 7.4(with shimano 105 groupset) 900euros around 600pounds
> Model 9.1(with shimano ultegra groupset) 1000euros around 675pounds
>
> I was wondering if anyone has bought any of their bikes and if they
> are any good? Also and input if these would be good bikes to buy (I
> have done a few triathlons and my mountain bike just doesn't cut it) I
> would be greatful!
>
> Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
> britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
> channel anyway...

Are you sure you are comparing like with like between Euro and Sterling
prices - they are listing the 9.1 at 570 quid in the UK stores (assuming the
spec is the same)

Have to agree that they look good value and from a ride around a Decathlon
store in France in the summer these bikes felt good (just failed to manage
to buy one and slip it into the car before SWMBO noticed .....!)

RG

Colin vaguely muttered something like ...
> I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
> come across their cycling specific website...
>
> www.decathloncycle.com
>
> ...with detailed specs of their bikes in english. They look an
> absolute bargain...
>
> For example...
> Model 7.4(with shimano 105 groupset) 900euros around 600pounds
> Model 9.1(with shimano ultegra groupset) 1000euros around 675pounds
>
> I was wondering if anyone has bought any of their bikes and if they
> are any good? Also and input if these would be good bikes to buy (I
> have done a few triathlons and my mountain bike just doesn't cut it) I
> would be greatful!
>
> Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
> britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
> channel anyway...
>
> Colin

We've bought childrens MTB's and a BMX from Decathlon and can't really fault
them. Very good prices for what you get .. ;)

We used to live round the corner from Decathlon and Ikea in Giltbrook,
Nottingham, and used them as our LBS .. very good stock, very good service
and no qualms about refunds/replacements/swaps if things broke quickly or
were wrong.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

> Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
> britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
> channel anyway...

Their own glasses are excellent value. 12 euro in France £8 in UK (Dudley).
Seems a very similar price to me. I think the French shops used to be a lot
cheaper, but no longer. Buy 2 pairs - it saves changing lenses.

John

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am looking to buy a road bike in the next few months and have just
> > come across their cycling specific website...
> >
> > www.decathloncycle.com
> >
> > ...with detailed specs of their bikes in english. They look an
> > absolute bargain...
> >
> > For example...
> > Model 7.4(with shimano 105 groupset) 900euros around 600pounds
> > Model 9.1(with shimano ultegra groupset) 1000euros around 675pounds
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has bought any of their bikes and if they
> > are any good? Also and input if these would be good bikes to buy (I
> > have done a few triathlons and my mountain bike just doesn't cut it) I
> > would be greatful!
> >
> > Also looking at the decathlon uk store it looks again that its ripoff
> > britain compared to europe. sigh . well I like going across the
> > channel anyway...

> Are you sure you are comparing like with like between Euro and Sterling
> prices - they are listing the 9.1 at 570 quid in the UK stores (assuming the
> spec is the same)
>
> Have to agree that they look good value and from a ride around a Decathlon
> store in France in the summer these bikes felt good (just failed to manage
> to buy one and slip it into the car before SWMBO noticed .....!)
>
> RG

The cunning lot at decathlon UK put in small print in the price that
for the 9.1 at 570 quid, the cost of the transmission kit is on top!
yikes!