Decending position???

John-L

Apr 28, 2006
Hi,

I changed my bike a few months ago and I have noticed that when I take on a decent and go into an aero position either on the drops or tucked in on the tops when pedalling my knees/thighs are hitting my abdomen which is seriously affecting my pedaling efficiency?

Any suggestions what I could try to alleviate this??

Thanks

John.

John-L said:
Hi,

I changed my bike a few months ago and I have noticed that when I take on a decent and go into an aero position either on the drops or tucked in on the tops when pedalling my knees/thighs are hitting my abdomen which is seriously affecting my pedaling efficiency?

Any suggestions what I could try to alleviate this??

Thanks

John.
rasie your seat?

my thighs come up to my chest in that very low tuck position but not so much that my pedalling is affected.

climbo said:
rasie your seat?

my thighs come up to my chest in that very low tuck position but not so much that my pedalling is affected.
Ta for the reply, I'm reluctant to raise my seat as it seems pretty much the spot on height for me?

Push it forward then and use a longer stem. That way the hip angle is opened up. You need a steeper geometry to dial that position.

John-L said:
Ta for the reply, I'm reluctant to raise my seat as it seems pretty much the spot on height for me?

Albert 50 said:
Shorter cranks? Are they longer on the new chariot?
Nope cranks are same length and new bike is a 52cm old one was a 50cm?

John-L said:
How rude,

Its not a belly problem, its a ribcage problem!!!!!
ok just checking. bad luck, your problem is now a bit harder to fix.;)

Clearly the bike is the wong size!! :eek:

The frame is too big! The seat is too far back behing the crank (BB), the bars are too close to the crank, its the wrong style of frame for aero riding. :rolleyes: Is this a comfort road bike?

For now, try a zero offset seat post, to bring the hips forward, and raising (flipping) the stem to bring the sholders up a little. Try to have the bars close to level with the seat.

gclark8 said:
Clearly the bike is the wong size!! :eek:

The frame is too big! The seat is too far back behing the crank (BB), the bars are too close to the crank, its the wrong style of frame for aero riding. :rolleyes: Is this a comfort road bike?

For now, try raising the stem and have the bars level with the seat.
Hi.

Its a Trek full carbon road frame and was sized for me by a very experienced cycle shop,

Think I might take it back into them and try to work something out?

I edited below:
For now, try a zero offset seat post, to bring the hips forward, and raising (or flipping) the stem to bring the shoulders up a little. Try to have the bars close to level with the seat.
If you have short arms then the problem may require a stem riser. The 531mm top tube may be considerably longer than your old bike and the head/steerer tube do look rather short. Are you riding to a style that the bike is designed? Maybe a TT or Tri frame will fit better.

gclark8 said:
I edited below: If you have short arms then the problem may require a stem riser. The 531mm top tube may be considerably longer than your old bike and the head/steerer tube do look rather short. Are you riding to a style that the bike is designed? Maybe a TT or Tri frame will fit better.
Hi.

I changed from an 80mm stem to a 100mm stem on the bike just after I got it as my knees were hitting the bars when climbing out of the seat, so I dont think the stem is too long, it might be still too short if anything?

I'm doing normal road riding/racing, only get the problem when in the decents and want to work hard.

Thanks

John.

gclark8 said:
Not a longer/shorter stem, a higher stem, to bring your shoulders up. You need to be over the bike more, not behind it and stretched out. Its difficult to explain, look at some of these pix: http://www.trysport.com.au/bikes.htm
http://www.trysport.com.au/articles/main_articles_steepAngle.htm
They are some ugly bikes! Dont raise your stem if you intend to have an aero raing position. If your just cruising along then just do what feels comfy ( have the handlebars 3 feet above your saddle for all i care :eek: )

My eyes are scarred for life. Why would you put aerobars on your bike if they are 20cm's above your saddle? Dave zabriskie would be proud of those positions (sarcasm).

2 the OP:Its an issue that happens to all of us. When I get in the drops and slide back in the saddle I can easily smack my knees against my ribs. Usually its just a matter of straightening my elbows which lifts my chest slightly and im ready to go again.

good luck