Decent affordable bike rack?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DaveInPA, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DaveInPA

DaveInPA New Member

I need a bike rack capable of carrying two bikes that will work on my 2004 Mazda 6 and my fiancee's 2005 Mazda 3. Who makes a decent one that won't break the bank?

Tags:

2. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Because you mention it's use on different cars and price being a consideration, I assume you're looking for a trunk mount rack. The Saris Bones typically receives good reviews, but Saris and others make some less expensive models as well. Personally, I would scour your local classifieds or craigslist for someone selling a used rack (or two: one for each car).

I owned a trunk mount rack for a while, but dreaded installing and removing the rack multiple times per week (for fear of it being stolen off my car). I ended up installing a hitch on my car and bought a hitch mount bike carrier.

3. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I've used a Rhode Gear strap on rack ( trunk mount) for many years, but I'd much prefer to have a hitch mount bike rack for the same reason as Scotty Dog.

I see a lot of the Saris trunk mount carriers being used, my LBS sells the Saris Solo for $50 and the Bones Series start at $130. I haven't used one myself, but they do look well constructed.

4. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

Get the "Bones" you won't be disappointed.

5. rhart00

rhart00 New Member

I recently picked up the Saris Bones based on recommendations of others. Haven't used it yet, but from what i hear, everyone seems pretty satisfied with it.

6. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Just to clarify, there isn't anyway to secure most trunk mount bike racks, at least the type that strap on. It doesn't take long for someone to drive up by your car and unhook your rack.

So, I always end up taking my rack off the car and putting it in the trunk before I start my bike ride. Then when I return I have to put it back on the car to haul my bike back home. Not a huge deal, but I get a little tired of it. I also have to make sure my car is clean because the pads of the rack rest directly on the car's paint, and the rack pads tend to grind any dirt into the paint leaving dull spots.

A rack that uses a trailer hitch receiver can be secured using key locking style hitch, just like when you pull a trailer, so it's pretty secure. Hitch racks can also typically carry more weight safely and don't come into contact with the paint job on your car.

Just food for thought.....