Decent bike shops in Perth ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by madrapper, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. madrapper

    madrapper Guest

    As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
    myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
    I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
    shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
    bike will occassionally see the shop too.
    Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.

    Much appreciated, TIA
    Dave

    PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
    is next to nil :(

    Tags:

  2. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    madrapper wrote:

    > As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
    > myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
    > I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    > more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
    > shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
    > bike will occassionally see the shop too.
    > Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
    >
    > Much appreciated, TIA
    > Dave
    >
    > PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
    > is next to nil :(

    Where you living?

    --
    BrettS

  3. madrapper

    madrapper Guest

    Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
    in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
    straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
    )

    Cheers,
    Dave

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest

    madrapper wrote:
    > As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
    > myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
    > I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    > more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
    > shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
    > bike will occassionally see the shop too.
    > Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
    >
    > Much appreciated, TIA
    > Dave
    >
    > PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
    > is next to nil :(

    Bikes Are Us in Collie offers the lowest prices in WA. Obviously it's
    too far out of your way for small items but if you're buying a new frame
    or bike give Harry a call and you can save hundreds of dollars.

    Marty

  5. Gumby

    Gumby Guest

    madrapper wrote:
    > Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
    > in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
    > straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
    > )
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    Well I dont live near you but I can recommend two shops.
    Glen Parkers-Stirling Hwy, Nedlands, for the roadie, perchance the dirt
    Cyclemania-Charles St, North Perth, nice huys, have looked after me for
    the last two years
    IdealCycles down in Hilton, nr Freo has good raps

    suss out WA MTB groups like WAMBA, http://www2.wamba.asn.au/
    they will have more specific information perhaps

  6. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    madrapper wrote:

    > Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
    > in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
    > straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
    > )
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    I can recommend two near me. Lakes Bikes in Beeliar Drive,Success near
    the freeway, or Ideal Cycles in Hilton. Both shops are owned by guys
    who race and are honest guys. Steve from Ideal posts here occasionally.
    http://www.idealcycles.com

    --
    BrettS

  7. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Kalamunda? Is that part of perth? :p

    1 vote for Quantum in North Perth. Its fairly custom-bike/service oriented, but they can order in parts as required.

    till

  8. BruceA

    BruceA Guest

    "madrapper" wrote

    > As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
    > myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
    > I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    > more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
    > shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
    > bike will occassionally see the shop too.
    > Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
    >
    > Much appreciated, TIA
    > Dave

    Bike Force Malaga seems to be a pretty hard core mountain bike shop. I
    don't know much about mountain bikes, but they had quite a few mountain
    bikes on display which I would classify as the Shermann tanks of mountain
    bikes!! I have never seen so much bottom bracket clearance before!!
    I have only been there once, and they seemed honest and knowledgable.
    They did a good job servicing my bike, the only reason I didn't go back was
    that I am a roadie, and they didn't really have any roady stuff.

    BruceA

  9. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    madrapper wrote:

    > I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    > more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd.

    I'd also suggest you don't judge a book by its cover. My LBS looks
    _exactly_ like that, but the owner rides a lot himself, used to be a
    race mechanic, spent years building wheels and loves the sport. He just
    happens to be trying to make a living in an area where his main market
    is mum, dad and kids... Sure, he does not carry a lot of "fancy" stock,
    but he knows what he is talking about and looks after me.

    At least go and have a chat to them.

    Brian.

  10. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    I'm in Roleystone - in the hills south of where you are,
    I'm happy with Cyclerama in Cannington (shopped with them when they owned
    Fleet in Freo - long time!) and with Highway Cycles in Vic Park.

    Highway Cycles is good for MTBs and Cyclerama is good for general stuff as
    well as MTBs. Between them I don't have to hunt around too many other shops
    for what I want.

    Enjoy the hills! Lots of good MTBing to be had without the land restrictions
    I read about from the Easterers...

    Cheers,

    Frank

    "madrapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
    > in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
    > straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
    > )
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

  11. "madrapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
    > in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
    > straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
    > )
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    Balmoral Cycles in Vic Park seem to have had a change in ownership recently
    and giving better service.

  12. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Actually its no longer bike force malaga, its malaga cycles or similar.

    Jason(?) is an die-hard MTBer and complained that the BF focus didnt suit him or his intended market.

    He is also a top bloke and a few of the other stores do call him for tips on forks, disc brakes etc, and he does a bit of service work for them on same.

    till

  13. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    they havent changed owners. its just the owner isnt dealing with the customers so much, which was a very good business move.....:D

    Gaz is a legend there though.

  14. ronni51

    ronni51 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Try Tim Bennett at Kalamunda Cycles he is or was a National Mountain bike guy has a lot of upmarket mountain bikes and knows a lot about them.If you want stuff to look at try Highway Cycles. As bike mechanics we work on all types of bikes and fix anything.
    we just need the time to fix it properly.

  15. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I'm in Kensington (near the city).

    Mechanic for the roadie and for the MTB is Joe at Cyclerama. I also buy parts there.

    I also buy bits from Steve at Ideal in Hilton, and Glen Parker in Nedlands. It just depands on who has what at the time. They all look after cyclists pretty well.

    If a bike has a problem when I am commuting (I work in the city) I'll deal with Fleet in the city.

    Steve(bike shop tart = spend my money anywhere)A

  16. On 6 Jul 2005 18:06:01 -0700, madrapper wrote:

    > As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
    > myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
    > I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
    > more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd.

    It's odd - mostly you see complaints about shops where the staff are
    uninterested in helping anyone except their racing mates. It's unfair
    to assume they're ignorant just because they're willing to help mere
    mortals learn about and buy bikes.

    And I thought only roadies became snobs as they improved :)

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  17. DD

    DD Guest

    till! wrote:
    > Kalamunda? Is that part of perth? :p
    >
    > 1 vote for Quantum in North Perth. Its fairly custom-bike/service
    > oriented, but they can order in parts as required.
    >
    > till

    You are joking, at least Pal&Panther down the road from them is an
    actual shop rather than a whim of a service.

  18. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Im not joking, not in the least.

    I dont need the opportunity to browse *SHINY THINGS* while Im having my bike serviced by a couple of guys who are both pretty interesting and very good mechanics, but then perhaps you do!

    till

  19. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    agreed.

    sachs and aldo know what they are talking about and know it. They dont dazzle with "sales chatter". Spent many great arvos in there in the past talking shop on bikes.

    How often do you do that at any other bike shop?

  20. madrapper

    madrapper Guest

    I wasn't assuming anyone was was ignorant at all - but I would like to
    see evidence of regularly dealing with mountain bikes. I'm more
    inclined to jump to a conclusion if I cant see a hint of suspension
    anywhere. Definitely horses for courses, I'm just taking my time
    investigating the possibilites.

    Cheers,
    Dave - not a racer, but sussing out what's available.