Decent bike shops in Perth ?

madrapper

Guest
As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
bike will occassionally see the shop too.
Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.

Much appreciated, TIA
Dave

PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
is next to nil :(

madrapper wrote:

> As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
> myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
> I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
> more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
> shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
> bike will occassionally see the shop too.
> Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
>
> Much appreciated, TIA
> Dave
>
> PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
> is next to nil :(

Where you living?

--
BrettS

Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
)

Cheers,
Dave

madrapper wrote:
> As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
> myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
> I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
> more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
> shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
> bike will occassionally see the shop too.
> Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
>
> Much appreciated, TIA
> Dave
>
> PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
> is next to nil :(

Bikes Are Us in Collie offers the lowest prices in WA. Obviously it's
too far out of your way for small items but if you're buying a new frame
or bike give Harry a call and you can save hundreds of dollars.

Marty

madrapper wrote:
> Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
> in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
> straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
> )
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Well I dont live near you but I can recommend two shops.
Glen Parkers-Stirling Hwy, Nedlands, for the roadie, perchance the dirt
Cyclemania-Charles St, North Perth, nice huys, have looked after me for
the last two years
IdealCycles down in Hilton, nr Freo has good raps

suss out WA MTB groups like WAMBA, http://www2.wamba.asn.au/
they will have more specific information perhaps

madrapper wrote:

> Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
> in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
> straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
> )
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I can recommend two near me. Lakes Bikes in Beeliar Drive,Success near
the freeway, or Ideal Cycles in Hilton. Both shops are owned by guys
who race and are honest guys. Steve from Ideal posts here occasionally.
http://www.idealcycles.com

--
BrettS

Kalamunda? Is that part of perth? :p

1 vote for Quantum in North Perth. Its fairly custom-bike/service oriented, but they can order in parts as required.

till

"madrapper" wrote

> As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
> myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
> I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
> more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
> shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
> bike will occassionally see the shop too.
> Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.
>
> Much appreciated, TIA
> Dave

Bike Force Malaga seems to be a pretty hard core mountain bike shop. I
don't know much about mountain bikes, but they had quite a few mountain
bikes on display which I would classify as the Shermann tanks of mountain
bikes!! I have never seen so much bottom bracket clearance before!!
I have only been there once, and they seemed honest and knowledgable.
They did a good job servicing my bike, the only reason I didn't go back was
that I am a roadie, and they didn't really have any roady stuff.

BruceA

madrapper wrote:

> I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
> more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd.

I'd also suggest you don't judge a book by its cover. My LBS looks
_exactly_ like that, but the owner rides a lot himself, used to be a
race mechanic, spent years building wheels and loves the sport. He just
happens to be trying to make a living in an area where his main market
is mum, dad and kids... Sure, he does not carry a lot of "fancy" stock,
but he knows what he is talking about and looks after me.

At least go and have a chat to them.

Brian.

I'm in Roleystone - in the hills south of where you are,
I'm happy with Cyclerama in Cannington (shopped with them when they owned
Fleet in Freo - long time!) and with Highway Cycles in Vic Park.

Highway Cycles is good for MTBs and Cyclerama is good for general stuff as
well as MTBs. Between them I don't have to hunt around too many other shops
for what I want.

Enjoy the hills! Lots of good MTBing to be had without the land restrictions
I read about from the Easterers...

Cheers,

Frank

"madrapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
> in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
> straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
> )
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

"madrapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Near Kalamunda for the time being - but prepared to go almost anywhere
> in Perth for a decent shop. (The roads are so cool here - they go
> straight where you need them to go and there is no traffic !!! Woohoo!
> )
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Balmoral Cycles in Vic Park seem to have had a change in ownership recently
and giving better service.

BruceA said:
Bike Force Malaga seems to be a pretty hard core mountain bike shop.
Actually its no longer bike force malaga, its malaga cycles or similar.

Jason(?) is an die-hard MTBer and complained that the BF focus didnt suit him or his intended market.

He is also a top bloke and a few of the other stores do call him for tips on forks, disc brakes etc, and he does a bit of service work for them on same.

till

John Beaverstock said:
Balmoral Cycles in Vic Park seem to have had a change in ownership recently and giving better service.
they havent changed owners. its just the owner isnt dealing with the customers so much, which was a very good business move.....:D

Gaz is a legend there though.

Try Tim Bennett at Kalamunda Cycles he is or was a National Mountain bike guy has a lot of upmarket mountain bikes and knows a lot about them.If you want stuff to look at try Highway Cycles. As bike mechanics we work on all types of bikes and fix anything.
we just need the time to fix it properly.

madrapper said:
As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd. Ideally I'd like to find a
shop with a clue about mountain bikes, although I'm sure the schmoad
bike will occassionally see the shop too.
Love to hear any recommendations or horror stories.

Much appreciated, TIA
Dave

PS :- I posted on http://www.wacyclingforums.com/ but the traffic there
is next to nil :(

I'm in Kensington (near the city).

Mechanic for the roadie and for the MTB is Joe at Cyclerama. I also buy parts there.

I also buy bits from Steve at Ideal in Hilton, and Glen Parker in Nedlands. It just depands on who has what at the time. They all look after cyclists pretty well.

If a bike has a problem when I am commuting (I work in the city) I'll deal with Fleet in the city.

Steve(bike shop **** = spend my money anywhere)A

On 6 Jul 2005 18:06:01 -0700, madrapper wrote:

> As the latest Sydneysider to jump ship and move to the west, I find
> myself looking for a respectable bike shop to give my business to.
> I've wandered into a couple of shops already but they seemed to cater
> more for the mum, dad & kids type crowd.

It's odd - mostly you see complaints about shops where the staff are
uninterested in helping anyone except their racing mates. It's unfair
to assume they're ignorant just because they're willing to help mere
mortals learn about and buy bikes.

And I thought only roadies became snobs as they improved :)

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

till! wrote:
> Kalamunda? Is that part of perth? :p
>
> 1 vote for Quantum in North Perth. Its fairly custom-bike/service
> oriented, but they can order in parts as required.
>
> till

You are joking, at least Pal&Panther down the road from them is an
actual shop rather than a whim of a service.

DD said:
You are joking, at least Pal&Panther down the road from them is an actual shop rather than a whim of a service.
Im not joking, not in the least.

I dont need the opportunity to browse *SHINY THINGS* while Im having my bike serviced by a couple of guys who are both pretty interesting and very good mechanics, but then perhaps you do!

till

till! said:
Im not joking, not in the least.

I dont need the opportunity to browse *SHINY THINGS* while Im having my bike serviced by a couple of guys who are both pretty interesting and very good mechanics, but then perhaps you do!

till
agreed.

sachs and aldo know what they are talking about and know it. They dont dazzle with "sales chatter". Spent many great arvos in there in the past talking shop on bikes.

How often do you do that at any other bike shop?

I wasn't assuming anyone was was ignorant at all - but I would like to
see evidence of regularly dealing with mountain bikes. I'm more
inclined to jump to a conclusion if I cant see a hint of suspension
anywhere. Definitely horses for courses, I'm just taking my time
investigating the possibilites.

Cheers,
Dave - not a racer, but sussing out what's available.