Decent bump in Snowdonia or elsewhere required

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pedt, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Pedt

    Pedt Guest

    Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend in
    March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.

    Zalina and Zinaida are not mountaineers so Tryfan's out of the question
    though I think Z&Z could well cope with Heather Terrace but might baulk
    at the last bit of the South Ridge to the summit and they do want to go
    to the top of something.

    Bit constrained as about 90 mins or so, 2hr at maximum I guess as I'll
    be driving an unfamiliar car, from Wrexham travelling each way as we
    have to be back within the day.

    Max somewhere around 8 miles and 1500ft ascent based on previous walking
    but could trade less distance for more height and vice versa.

    Rough ground and minimal paths OK for part of the route but anything
    like a bit of sustained scrambling is probably a bit of a no-no.

    Footwear not a problem and I've got a few assorted fleeces, waterproofs
    etc lurking to cover any lack in that direction for the UK in March.

    They want to see mountains, at least in the near distance, so Peak
    District is probably(?) out as an option - Zal has seen N Snowdonia so
    knows what mountains look like though they don't have them in the UA.

    I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.

    Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above
    then they'll be very gratefully received here.

    --
    Pedt

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:13:58 +0000, Pedt <"\"@
    @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> wrote:

    >Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above
    >then they'll be very gratefully received here.

    How about Moel Siabod? Not too far if you go by the normal route, and
    if you're lucky you get superb views of Snowdon.

    S.
    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Pedt <"\"@
    @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> writes

    >I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    >Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.
    >
    >Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above
    >then they'll be very gratefully received here.

    I'm sure that you know Snowdonia better than I do, but Moel Siabod and
    Arenig Fawr seem reasonable alternatives. Or Tal-y-Fan. But Creigau
    Gleision's a nice walk, with decent views.

    I guess the Llangollen Hills and Clwydian Range are not rugged enough.
    --
    Stewart Robert Hinsley

  4. Ysgrifennodd "Stewart Robert Hinsley" <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> mewn
    neges newyddion:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Pedt <"\"@
    > @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> writes
    >>
    >>I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    >>Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.
    >>
    >>Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above then
    >>they'll be very gratefully received here.
    >>

    > I'm sure that you know Snowdonia better than I do, but Moel Siabod and
    > Arenig Fawr seem reasonable alternatives. Or Tal-y-Fan. But Creigau
    > Gleision's a nice walk, with decent views.
    >
    > I guess the Llangollen Hills and Clwydian Range are not rugged enough.
    > --
    > Stewart Robert Hinsley

    I was going to suggest Siabod as my first choice.
    Second would be creigiau gleision from capel, which definately offers the
    best views of Snowdon, for least altitude, and down the Ogwen. But beware,
    it is much more of a slog than you'd imagine. Don't underestimate it, it's
    both rough and often pathless. Here's my route from last spring, returning
    via llyn cowlyd http://www.walkeryri.org.uk/Routes/gleision.htm , might give
    an indication of what to expect.
    Forgot about Tal Y Fan, but it's a nice little walk from Ro Wen or Aber.
    Rowen would probably make a more suitable circular (some info
    http://www.walkeryri.org.uk/Routes/talyfan2.htm and
    http://www.walkeryri.org.uk/Routes/talyfan.htm). Views are less mountainous,
    but lofty, and a glorious view of the Orme (and just about the Isle of Man
    last time i was up).

    HTH.

    T Dave R
    --

    Walking in Snowdonia
    www.walkeryri.org.uk

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

    Pedt <"\"@ @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> said...
    > I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    > Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.

    Sounds good - you get (hopefully) a decentish view of the horseshoe from
    that area an' all. What else is there? Clogwyn? Pen yr Ole Wen?
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  6. Pedt wrote:

    > Max somewhere around 8 miles and 1500ft ascent based on previous
    > walking but could trade less distance for more height and vice versa.

    I am particularly fond of Cnicht, which is about the right size but may
    be at your driving limit as it is near Portmadog

    Chris

  7. Pedt wrote:
    > Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend in
    > March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.
    >
    > Zalina and Zinaida are not mountaineers so Tryfan's out of the question
    > though I think Z&Z could well cope with Heather Terrace but might baulk
    > at the last bit of the South Ridge to the summit and they do want to go
    > to the top of something.
    >
    > Bit constrained as about 90 mins or so, 2hr at maximum I guess as I'll
    > be driving an unfamiliar car, from Wrexham travelling each way as we
    > have to be back within the day.
    >
    > Max somewhere around 8 miles and 1500ft ascent based on previous walking
    > but could trade less distance for more height and vice versa.
    >
    > Rough ground and minimal paths OK for part of the route but anything
    > like a bit of sustained scrambling is probably a bit of a no-no.
    >
    > Footwear not a problem and I've got a few assorted fleeces, waterproofs
    > etc lurking to cover any lack in that direction for the UK in March.
    >
    > They want to see mountains, at least in the near distance, so Peak
    > District is probably(?) out as an option - Zal has seen N Snowdonia so
    > knows what mountains look like though they don't have them in the UA.
    >

    > I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    > Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.
    >
    > Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above
    > then they'll be very gratefully received here.
    >
    > --
    > Pedt

    As others have suggested, Moel Siabod from Pont Cyfyng is excellent and
    not too hard. Go up via LLyn y foel rather than along the main ridge.
    I've used this route to introduce 3 of my children and my wife to the
    joys of Snowdonia/climbing mountains, all are now hooked to a greater
    or lesser extent.

    Another possibility (weather permitting) is Snowdon via the Pyg track?
    Not overly hard (around 1800 ft ascent IIRC, no scrambling unless you
    take a wrong turn and end up on Crib Goch!) and the best views of the
    lot (weather permitting).

    Nearer to home. Moel Famau from Loggerheads is a good walk, and can be
    extended along the Offas Dyke path to either the north or south.

    John

  8. Rod Craddock

    Rod Craddock Guest

    "Pedt" <"\"@ @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend
    > in March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.
    >
    > Zalina and Zinaida are not mountaineers so Tryfan's out of the
    > question though I think Z&Z could well cope with Heather Terrace but
    > might baulk at the last bit of the South Ridge to the summit and
    > they do want to go to the top of something.
    >
    > Bit constrained as about 90 mins or so, 2hr at maximum

    That makes most things in Snowdonia a bit of a rush, tho as others
    have suggested Siabod is a nice shortish day. In the Clwydians you
    could get a much longer walk/shorter drive with views to die for. One
    I do is a nice circular of about 7miles. Start/finish at Pentre just
    outside Cilcain. Footpaths and lanes to Moel Lys y Coed, drop down to
    the carpark at the south side of Moel Lys Y Coed then follow theOffas
    Dyke Path back up to Moel Famau and down the Cilcain path.
    --
    Rod

    My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
    Just remove the weedy bits
    and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

  9. Rod Craddock

    Rod Craddock Guest

    "Rod Craddock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Pedt" <"\"@ @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend
    >> in March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.
    >>
    >> Zalina and Zinaida are not mountaineers so Tryfan's out of the
    >> question though I think Z&Z could well cope with Heather Terrace
    >> but might baulk at the last bit of the South Ridge to the summit
    >> and they do want to go to the top of something.
    >>
    >> Bit constrained as about 90 mins or so, 2hr at maximum

    > That makes most things in Snowdonia a bit of a rush, tho as others
    > have suggested Siabod is a nice shortish day. In the Clwydians you
    > could get a much longer walk/shorter drive with views to die for.
    > One I do is a nice circular of about 7miles. Start/finish at Pentre
    > just outside Cilcain. Footpaths and lanes to Moel Lys y Coed, drop
    > down to the carpark at the south side of Moel Lys Y Coed then follow
    > theOffas Dyke Path back up to Moel Famau and down the >Cilcain path.

    Oops sorry to follow up my own post but I've just seen the last
    sentence which should of course read
    'down to the car park at the South side of Moel Arthur'

    --
    Rod

    My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
    Just remove the weedy bits
    and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

  10. Rudi Winter

    Rudi Winter Guest

    Pedt <"\"@ @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> wrote on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:13:58 +0000:
    > Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend in
    > March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.

    The first thing that I thought of was Moel Siabod, too. But then,
    Dinas Mawddwy is easily reached from Wrexham, so you could do the
    Aran ridge
    http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/050501.html
    from Cwm Cywarch. The bit between the two main summits has a mountainy
    feel to it without being scrambly, and the views across Llyn Tegid
    towards northern Snowdonia are quite gratifying.

    From Dinas Mawddwy, you could also go up the Maesglase ridge to the
    west: if views of mountains are more important than immediate ruggedness,
    then Waun Oer would be another option for a clear day, when the
    whole Snowdonia panorama is visible:
    http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/05053064bwWaunOerPano.jpg
    It's a bit longer than what you indicate but has less ascent, although
    there is a bit of a dip halfway that adds to the total ascent. Once
    you're out of hearing distance of the A470, it feels very remote up there.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  11. Pedt

    Pedt Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, at 23:05:53 on Thu, 12
    Jan 2006, Dafydd Ap Arwyn <[email protected]> wibbled
    >Ysgrifennodd "Stewart Robert Hinsley" <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> mewn
    >neges newyddion:[email protected]
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Pedt <"\"@
    >> @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> writes
    >>>
    >>>I'm inclined to go to Capel Curig then walk via Craig Wen over Creigiau
    >>>Gleision coming back via either Llyn Crafnant or Llyn Cowlyd.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone who can offer any other possible suggestions to fit the above then
    >>>they'll be very gratefully received here.

    >> I'm sure that you know Snowdonia better than I do, but Moel Siabod and
    >> Arenig Fawr seem reasonable alternatives. Or Tal-y-Fan. But Creigau
    >> Gleision's a nice walk, with decent views.
    >>
    >> I guess the Llangollen Hills and Clwydian Range are not rugged enough.

    Probably would have got away with either of them if one of the two
    hadn't seen the Snowdonia bumps ;-)

    >I was going to suggest Siabod as my first choice.

    The thud in the background is me hitting myself for totally forgetting
    about Siabod :-(

    >Second would be creigiau gleision from capel, which definately offers the
    >best views of Snowdon, for least altitude, and down the Ogwen. But beware,
    >it is much more of a slog than you'd imagine. Don't underestimate it, it's
    >both rough and often pathless.

    You're not wrong there, boggy as well though you can avoid most of it
    until descending from the North top.

    The walk in also has quite good potential for confusion in mist if you
    turn off the Crafnant track as soon as you get out of the trees and go
    Clogwyn Cigfan and Llyn y Coryn to Crimpiau rather than up to the col
    then left onto Crimpiau.

    --
    Pedt

  12. Pedt

    Pedt Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, at
    01:49:19 on Fri, 13 Jan 2006, [email protected] wibbled

    >As others have suggested, Moel Siabod from Pont Cyfyng is excellent and
    >not too hard. Go up via LLyn y foel rather than along the main ridge.
    >I've used this route to introduce 3 of my children and my wife to the
    >joys of Snowdonia/climbing mountains, all are now hooked to a greater
    >or lesser extent.

    Would definitely be via Llyn-y-Foel. Much more interesting and it's a
    bit of grind straight up onto the main ridge otherwise (and the same for
    the slopes up from Capel).

    >Another possibility (weather permitting) is Snowdon via the Pyg track?

    Depends a bit on how busy the Pen-y-Pass car park is likely to be. I'm
    inclined not to go there though for the lack of escape routes other than
    turning back. With only one day I think I'd prefer something that could
    be amended part way through into something else IYSWIM.

    --
    Pedt

  13. Pedt

    Pedt Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, at 20:19:05 on Sat, 14
    Jan 2006, Rudi Winter <[email protected]> wibbled
    >Pedt <"\"@ @\""@user-unknown.mx2.org.uk> wrote on Thu, 12 Jan 2006
    >21:13:58 +0000:
    >> Having just got back here I find I'm getting visitors for a weekend in
    >> March who want to do a day's walking whilst visiting.

    >The first thing that I thought of was Moel Siabod, too. But then,
    >Dinas Mawddwy is easily reached from Wrexham, so you could do the
    >Aran ridge
    >http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/050501.html
    >from Cwm Cywarch. The bit between the two main summits has a mountainy
    >feel to it without being scrambly, and the views across Llyn Tegid
    >towards northern Snowdonia are quite gratifying.
    >
    > From Dinas Mawddwy, you could also go up the Maesglase ridge to the
    >west: if views of mountains are more important than immediate ruggedness,
    >then Waun Oer would be another option for a clear day, when the
    >whole Snowdonia panorama is visible:
    >http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/05053064bwWaunOerPano.jpg

    Thanks for those ideas, hadn't considered that neck of the woods. I
    shall get my maps out.

    --
    Pedt