decent, cheap wheelset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SlowestCat3, Mar 31, 2007.

1. SlowestCat3

SlowestCat3 New Member

Is anyone familiar with the Campy's new version of the Vento wheelset? I'm looking to pickup a set of wheels for less than $300 and I've narrowed it down to these and the Fulcrum 7. Just from a "company" standpoint, I suppose I trust Campagnolo a lot more than Fulcrum but I know they're an "up and comer." Anyone with experience on the Fulcrum 7's? I weight 175# and plan on using the wheels for fast training and crit racing. The wheels must be Campy 10-speed compatible.

Many thanks....

Tags:

2. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Fulcrum and Campagnolo are one and the same company. Fulcrum is a "division" of Campy. Unlike the parent brand (understandably), Fulcrum makes wheelset that are Shimano compatible as well. Fulcrum=Campy by another name.

3. SlowestCat3

SlowestCat3 New Member

Thanks for the info. I had no idea....

4. daveornee

daveornee New Member

How about handbuilt New (2006) Campagnolo Centaur front, Chorus rear 32H with your choice of blue, red, or gold color Velocity Aerohead with OC rear for $300 plus shipping. Spokes are Sapim Race 14/15 DB and nipples are Sapim Polyax?
    dave at ornee dot net
    Western Springs, IL
    I have built over 1,000 wheels.

5. Kelderek

Kelderek New Member

Yes, Campy owns Fulcrum and you can see that a lot of "Campy solutions" have worked their way into the Fulcrum wheels. The G3 spoking that is visually obvious on a Vento wheel has it's counterpart on Fulcrums. They call it 2:1 spoking and works the same way: Double the amount of spokes on the "driving" side of the wheel to better take up the forces. You will get this advantage on a Fulcrum wheel as well. My local bike shop claims that Campy and Fulcrum wheels are compatible when it comes to performance, it's more matter of esthetics.

6. Wurm

Wurm New Member

SC3 -

I think you'd be very happy with any Campy or Fulcrum wheelset you buy. I've owned 4 sets ('02 Bora, '00 Nucleon, '00 Shamal, '03 Zonda) and have never had a single problem from any of those 8 wheels since my first sets (Nucleon & Shamal) in 2000, except that the rear Zonda now could use a slight truing since it's no longer perfectly straight, but it is really quite minor. I weigh 193-205 lbs., and I have ridden them over very rough roads here in upstate NY.

If you're looking for pre-built wheels, there are none better than Campy's.

7. jcthomasjr

jcthomasjr New Member

I have been using a pair of Campy Protons for over two years now and I like them very much. Are durable, light enough for me, and they look good. Frame is titanium with Chorus components. Not the lightest but has a nice ride that I am comfortable with and enjoy.

8. John M

John M New Member

I think that Dave Ornee'd deal is a better one than the stock built vento for fulcrum for a similar price. For his wheels, you can easily get a replacement spoke and will probably be lighter than vento or fulcrum 7.

9. Wurm

Wurm New Member

The thing with replacement spokes for Campy's is...you never need a replacement. :)

10. ndbiker

ndbiker New Member

I just purchased a used pair of Protons for $200. I've been using Mavic
    CXP 21's. The LBS was selling new Protons for $599 and these seemed in good shape so they seemed a good deal. I hope I'll notice an improvement in weight and quickness.