decent, cheap wheelset?

SlowestCat3

Mar 26, 2007
Is anyone familiar with the Campy's new version of the Vento wheelset? I'm looking to pickup a set of wheels for less than $300 and I've narrowed it down to these and the Fulcrum 7. Just from a "company" standpoint, I suppose I trust Campagnolo a lot more than Fulcrum but I know they're an "up and comer." Anyone with experience on the Fulcrum 7's? I weight 175# and plan on using the wheels for fast training and crit racing. The wheels must be Campy 10-speed compatible.

Many thanks....

Fulcrum and Campagnolo are one and the same company. Fulcrum is a "division" of Campy. Unlike the parent brand (understandably), Fulcrum makes wheelset that are Shimano compatible as well. Fulcrum=Campy by another name.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea....

Tech72 said:
Fulcrum and Campagnolo are one and the same company. Fulcrum is a "division" of Campy. Unlike the parent brand (understandably), Fulcrum makes wheelset that are Shimano compatible as well. Fulcrum=Campy by another name.

SlowestCat3 said:
Is anyone familiar with the Campy's new version of the Vento wheelset? I'm looking to pickup a set of wheels for less than $300 and I've narrowed it down to these and the Fulcrum 7. Just from a "company" standpoint, I suppose I trust Campagnolo a lot more than Fulcrum but I know they're an "up and comer." Anyone with experience on the Fulcrum 7's? I weight 175# and plan on using the wheels for fast training and crit racing. The wheels must be Campy 10-speed compatible.

Many thanks....
How about handbuilt New (2006) Campagnolo Centaur front, Chorus rear 32H with your choice of blue, red, or gold color Velocity Aerohead with OC rear for $300 plus shipping. Spokes are Sapim Race 14/15 DB and nipples are Sapim Polyax?
dave at ornee dot net
Western Springs, IL
I have built over 1,000 wheels.

Yes, Campy owns Fulcrum and you can see that a lot of "Campy solutions" have worked their way into the Fulcrum wheels. The G3 spoking that is visually obvious on a Vento wheel has it's counterpart on Fulcrums. They call it 2:1 spoking and works the same way: Double the amount of spokes on the "driving" side of the wheel to better take up the forces. You will get this advantage on a Fulcrum wheel as well. My local bike shop claims that Campy and Fulcrum wheels are compatible when it comes to performance, it's more matter of esthetics.

SC3 -

I think you'd be very happy with any Campy or Fulcrum wheelset you buy. I've owned 4 sets ('02 Bora, '00 Nucleon, '00 Shamal, '03 Zonda) and have never had a single problem from any of those 8 wheels since my first sets (Nucleon & Shamal) in 2000, except that the rear Zonda now could use a slight truing since it's no longer perfectly straight, but it is really quite minor. I weigh 193-205 lbs., and I have ridden them over very rough roads here in upstate NY.

If you're looking for pre-built wheels, there are none better than Campy's.

I have been using a pair of Campy Protons for over two years now and I like them very much. Are durable, light enough for me, and they look good. Frame is titanium with Chorus components. Not the lightest but has a nice ride that I am comfortable with and enjoy.

SlowestCat3 said:
Thanks for the info. I had no idea....

I think that Dave Ornee'd deal is a better one than the stock built vento for fulcrum for a similar price. For his wheels, you can easily get a replacement spoke and will probably be lighter than vento or fulcrum 7.

The thing with replacement spokes for Campy's is...you never need a replacement. :)

jcthomasjr said:
I have been using a pair of Campy Protons for over two years now and I like them very much. Are durable, light enough for me, and they look good. Frame is titanium with Chorus components. Not the lightest but has a nice ride that I am comfortable with and enjoy.
I just purchased a used pair of Protons for $200. I've been using Mavic
CXP 21's. The LBS was selling new Protons for $599 and these seemed in good shape so they seemed a good deal. I hope I'll notice an improvement in weight and quickness.