Decent cruising speed?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sky Fly, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    OK, a variation on the speed theme.

    After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to see how
    fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising speed was up to
    17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be bothered to check.

    It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment you
    get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Sky Fly muttered:

    [snipped...]

    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    Depends, but normally on the flat ~20-23 mph...

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a

  3. Stoatboy

    Stoatboy Guest

    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed?

    I live in Sheffield - there isn't any flat, so I don't have a cruising speed
    :(

    > Not that it matters - the enjoyment you get from cycling is more important than the speed
    > you go at.

    Thaas true :)

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    >
    > After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to
    > see how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising
    > speed was up to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be
    > bothered to check.
    >
    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    With no wind (I live in a flat area) I would cruise at 15 -17 mph on my hybrid.

  5. Roger Barker

    Roger Barker Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Sky Fly <[email protected]> writes
    >OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    >
    >After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to see
    >how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising speed was up
    >to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be bothered to check.
    >
    >It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment you
    >get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    Living in a totally flat area, I usually "cruise" at about the same speed as you, typically
    averaging between 16 and 17 mph for round trips of 15 to 25 miles.

    Bike - hybrid. Me - 56, and perhaps the odd pound or two too many round the middle... Mileage - 300+
    per month spring to autumn.

    --
    Roger Barker [email protected] Boston, UK

  6. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    Just measured my commute on the map with pencil & paper, which is exactly 11 miles, and it always
    takes 30-32 mins, so I guess I do a tad over 20mph (hybrid bike 23c tyres 120psi). I probably get a
    fair bit of wind assistance as there's quite a few busses & lorries on the route.

  7. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Bloody hell Bob, you'll cause a cyclone at that speed (chaos theory). I'm flat out maintaining about 35kph on the flat (which come to think of it is about the same). No wonder it's been so windy here lately.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Spider1977 wrote:

    > Bloody hell Bob, you'll cause a cyclone at that speed (chaos theory). I'm flat out maintaining
    > about 35kph on the flat (which come to think of it is about the same). No wonder it's been so
    > windy here lately.

    Not chaos theory but there really was a theory that in the US tornados are triggered by driving on
    the right. http://members.aol.com/gilcopub/tbit-8.html. Bob OTOH is presumably cycling on the left,
    being in the UK, and is very valiantly doing his bit to prevent tornadoes - with some success it
    would seen given their rarity here ;-)

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Spider1977 muttered:

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Sky Fly muttered: Depends, but normally on the flat ~20-23 mph...
    >
    > Bloody hell Bob, you'll cause a cyclone at that speed (chaos theory). I'm flat out maintaining
    > about 35kph on the flat (which come to think of it is about the same). No wonder it's been so
    > windy here lately.

    Well I do cycle a lo-pro triathlon/time trial bike and that sort of speed is on a good day on the
    tri-bars and cycling around Cambridge is pretty flat...

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a
    baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  10. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    I average about 21.5 over 26 miles, although that's versus traffic lights and traffic for about 6
    miles of the route. It's a pretty flat route, just some long undulations, but it's rather exposed to
    the wind - if you're it in the face, you really have to get down low and focus on pedalling
    technique.

    On the trainer, in the last week, I'm now doing 28 for 15 minutes, then about 25 for the rest of the
    hour. I've not tried cycling out on the road as hard as I have been now, so I don't know how well it
    will translate. I'm waiting for a new stem ATM, so I'm stuck on the trainer for another week, week
    and a half.

    --
    Callas

  11. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    >
    > After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to
    > see how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising
    > speed was up to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be
    > bothered to check.
    >
    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than

    On the commute to work through London, I generally cruise at about 18 mph (where possible - *sigh*),
    which comes down to about 14 mph average with breaks for red light stops/getting run over by bmw's.

    Mind you, that's only after five miles. Irritatingly, I always find riding on Thursdays and Fridays
    to be absolute hell - just don't have the energy most of the time. *really* looking forward to the
    time the commute becomes a doddle.

    Thomas

  12. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> of wrote:

    >OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    >
    >After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to see
    >how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising speed was up
    >to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be bothered to check.
    >
    >It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment you
    >get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.

    Not all cyclists are speed freaks. My cruising speed is around 13-14 mph, average speed per the
    computer now in the 10.5-11 mph range. My daily ride either involves a lot of junctions or some off
    road instead, and a park where I go slower because there are plenty of pedestrians, so the average
    is a lot below cruising speed. I can't even do a sprint at the speeds some of the rest of you claim
    to achieve steadily. Even tucking in behind spouse to get a tailwind the best I could achieve was a
    mile at 17 mph, and it was damn hard work. But I enjoy it.
    --
    You can't have everything, where would you keep it? Steph Peters delete invalid from
    [email protected] Tatting, lace & stitching page

  13. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Thomas" <La de la de la> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > On the commute to work through London, I generally cruise at about 18 mph (where possible -
    > *sigh*), which comes down to about 14 mph average with breaks for red light stops/getting run over
    > by bmw's.
    >
    > Mind you, that's only after five miles. Irritatingly, I always find riding on Thursdays and
    > Fridays to be absolute hell - just don't have the energy most of the time. *really* looking
    > forward to the time the commute becomes
    > doddle.

    I put an old bike computer on my going to work bike, a road bike, and altered it to show KPH. When I
    set off I was climbing quite hard and only showing 15kph - Odd I thought, I'd been off the bike for
    a week but thought never mind. Down the hill I was doing 40kph and on the flat I was busting my bits
    to do 30kph - Of course I was bloody knackered when I got to work I looked up the speedo on the web
    and you have to re-set the wheel size setting as well - It was still on mph And I though it was some
    sort of computer! Normally it's 19/23mph for me on the flat no headwind twiddling away.

  14. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> of wrote:
    >
    > >OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    > >
    > >After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to
    > >see how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising
    > >speed was up to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be
    > >bothered to check.
    > >
    > >It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > >you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.
    >
    > Not all cyclists are speed freaks. My cruising speed is around 13-14 mph, average speed per the
    > computer now in the
    > 10.5-11 mph range.

    Actually, when you factor in stops and slowdowns, my average speed in an urban area is about
    12-13mph. The speed I quoted in the OP refers to what my speed would be if there was none of that.

    > I can't even do a sprint at the speeds some of the rest of you claim to achieve steadily. Even
    > tucking in behind spouse to get a tailwind the best I could achieve was a mile at 17 mph, and it
    > was damn hard work.

    > But I enjoy it.

    And scrub out anything else that's been said so far - that's the most important thing. I'm sorry if
    I'm giving the impression that the fast makes one superior - quite frankly, my more enjoyable rides
    are the ones where I've pootled along slowly enough to take in the surrounding scenery (while still
    keeping an eye on the road, of course!).

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  15. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Callas <[email protected]> wrote:

    : On the trainer, in the last week, I'm now doing 28 for 15 minutes, then about 25 for the rest of
    : the hour. I've not tried cycling out on the road as hard as I have been now, so I don't know how
    : well it will translate.

    Not very well IME. Speedos on trainers are useful in that they are consisent between sessions, but
    unless you've calibrated it very carefully it won't be close to an open-road speed (and that's
    before we get into the wind/hills/etc problems).

    Arthur

    PS Haven't seen you on the group for a while! Still got that 55 tooth big ring? Or have you got a
    more normal size one now?

  16. It's about 4 miles from work to home, but I do between 11 and 28 depending on my mood after work. On
    a good day I can average over 17mph but there are quite a few hills here in the ouskirts of
    Portsmouth, my average being taken down by Southwick hill road. I',m still abit overweight at 13st
    6lb (should be around 12st 10 for my build) and I've just turned 47. Don't really know if that's
    good, bad or indifferent as no-one else mentions there age...or weight ! Also, this is on a road
    bike. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, a variation on the speed theme.
    >
    > After a long period of eschewing the 'pedal like buggery' philosophy of cycling, I decide to
    > see how fast I could go on my hybrid and was pleasantly surprised to find that my cruising
    > speed was up to 17-18mph (flat route, little or no wind) from 15mph the last time I could be
    > bothered to check.
    >
    > It made me wonder - what is everyone else's cruising speed? Not that it matters - the enjoyment
    > you get from cycling is more important than the speed you go at.
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  17. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> of wrote:
    >"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> But I enjoy it.
    >
    >And scrub out anything else that's been said so far - that's the most important thing. I'm sorry if
    >I'm giving the impression that the fast makes one superior - quite frankly, my more enjoyable rides
    >are the ones where I've pootled along slowly enough to take in the surrounding scenery (while still
    >keeping an eye on the road, of course!).

    You didn't give that impression, but collectively and unintentionally this newsgroup does. Those
    interested enough in cycling to read and post here are also keen cyclists, so generally fitter and
    faster than the average cyclist I see riding around. Or else those who aren't so fast keep quiet.
    Reading this group can be a bit intimidating for a new or returning cyclist because it gives a
    misleading impression.

    Steph fatslowbirdonabikehavingfun

  18. Roger Barker

    Roger Barker Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> of wrote:
    >>"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> But I enjoy it.
    >>
    >>And scrub out anything else that's been said so far - that's the most important thing. I'm sorry
    >>if I'm giving the impression that the fast makes one superior - quite frankly, my more enjoyable
    >>rides are the ones where I've pootled along slowly enough to take in the surrounding scenery
    >>(while still keeping an eye on the road, of course!).
    >
    >You didn't give that impression, but collectively and unintentionally this newsgroup does. Those
    >interested enough in cycling to read and post here are also keen cyclists, so generally fitter and
    >faster than the average cyclist I see riding around. Or else those who aren't so fast keep quiet.
    >Reading this group can be a bit intimidating for a new or returning cyclist because it gives a
    >misleading impression.

    It can also be a bit depressing for "mere mortal" keen cyclists! I would be ecstatic if I could
    break "evens" just once in my life, and now I read about all these folk who do it on a daily basis
    commuting to work. I think one person was even managing it on a full sus mtb... :-(

    --
    Roger Barker [email protected] Boston, UK

  19. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> writes:

    > It's about 4 miles from work to home, but I do between 11 and 28 depending on my mood after work.
    > On a good day I can average over 17mph but there are quite a few hills here in the ouskirts of
    > Portsmouth, my average being taken down by Southwick hill road. I',m still abit overweight at 13st
    > 6lb (should be around 12st 10 for my build) and I've just turned 47. Don't really know if that's
    > good, bad or indifferent as no-one else mentions there age...or weight !

    Well, I'm also 47, 6'2", 13st 1lb (this morning), and if I was averaging 17mph on any of my bikes
    I'd be pleased at this moment; I used to be able to do a lot more, but at present I'm tending to
    average about 15mph on road, a little less off.

    ;; when in the shit, the wise man plants courgettes

  20. Roger Barker wrote:

    > It can also be a bit depressing for "mere mortal" keen cyclists! I would be ecstatic if I could
    > break "evens" just once in my life, and now I read about all these folk who do it on a daily basis
    > commuting to work. I think one person was even managing it on a full sus mtb... :-(

    Ok, in an attempt to re-introduce the element of 'cycling for the rest of us'...

    I've just started cycling again after a few years off and go out about once a week for 30 - 40
    miles. Would do more if I could, but my job's a bit busy a the moment - and I can't commute because
    I need to drive during the day for work.

    I hover about the 19-20kph (12-13mph) range overall and it's not very hilly round here. I don't go
    all out for speed, but I don't hang around either - I just try to 'make progress', as they taught me
    on my driving course many years ago.

    Being an old git of 45 and weighing 18 stone (I'm 6ft 3) probably doesn't help the celerity too much
    (Fi! on all who cry "I'm a bit overweight at 7
    1/2 stone...". I am getting a bit fitter, but I strongly suspect that the stats won't be improving
    that much over the next thirty years - it's not all that different from what I used to do when I
    was ten years younger. In the end, I like the idea of pure speed, but it's awfully tiring and you
    don't get the chance to look at things properly on your way.

    Of course, this will all change when that £7000 carbon racing bike I'm going to win out of Cycling
    Plus arrives - wonder when they're going to announce my prize?

    David