decent entry-level road bike under $400?

Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> SMS wrote:
> >
> > which she'll almost certainly be a lot happier with on the sort of ride
> > she's doing, with the steel frame, quill headset, non-compact frame, and
> > rack.

> Rack, sure. Not that it's hard to find one for just about any bike.
> I wouldn't value that included feature more highly than the price of
> an aftermarket rack.

Also, in this price range, you're virtually guaranteed at least dropout
rack mounts and often seat stay rack mounts.

> As for the compact frame thing-- what the heck difference does that
> make as long as the bike fits? The orientation of the top tube has no
> effect on the relative locations of pedals, saddle, bars, contact
> patches, and steering axis. How would you even know the difference
> when riding?

As an avid cyclocrosser, SMS values the virtue of being able to shoulder
a bike as easily as possible. That's why he has his steel frames custom
modified with manipulated top tubes to offer a more natural shoulder
rest.

On May 12, 12:21 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marian wrote:
> > Provided the person in question is willing to eat the cost of a $1100
> > round trip air ticket and bring me lots of expensive goodies like
> > pretzels and cheesy poofs I would be so grateful for these difficult
> > to obtain goodies (add Krispy Kreme and a corn beef sandwich on rye to
> > the list please)

> Sounds like you're looking for America in China!

Nah, just the occasional junk food explosion.

> FWIW, you can't get a good corned beef sandwich in California (at least
> Northern California) and have the be content with the Asian food and
> save the corned beef cravings for trips to the east coast. I can't get
> Cheese Doodles out here either, which I think is what you mean by cheesy
> poofs. Krispy Kremes are closing out here, the fad is over.

What?!? No. Say it ain't so... how can a fad for sugar coated fat
end???

> OTOH, you can probably easily get 牛肉燒餅 and 蔥油餅 where you are,
> while most people in the U.S. would have a hard time finding these
> delicacies.

last character looks sort of like 饼 so I'm guessing (I don't really
read traditional) that these are fried bread products of some kind and
that one of them is made with beef.

Marian wrote:

>> FWIW, you can't get a good corned beef sandwich in California (at least
>> Northern California) and have the be content with the Asian food and
>> save the corned beef cravings for trips to the east coast. I can't get
>> Cheese Doodles out here either, which I think is what you mean by cheesy
>> poofs. Krispy Kremes are closing out here, the fad is over.

> What?!? No. Say it ain't so... how can a fad for sugar coated fat
> end???

IMVAIO, Krispy Kreme donuts sucked. Too small and too sickeningly sweet,
and relatively expensive though heavily discounted if you plan ahead. We
have one small donut shop near me that is good, they don't use
commercial pre-made donut mix, but make their donuts from scratch. The
line is out the door on weekends. We probably get that craving about
every four months or so, but they really are not a health food. At least
with the Chinese donuts (油條) you're dipping them in soybean milk (甜豆
漿), or putting them into rice porridge (米粥).

>> OTOH, you can probably easily get 牛肉燒餅 and 蔥油餅 where you are,
>> while most people in the U.S. would have a hard time finding these
>> delicacies.

> last character looks sort of like 饼 so I'm guessing (I don't really
> read traditional) that these are fried bread products of some kind and
> that one of them is made with beef.

Difficult to translate, but the first one is sometimes called a Chinese
hamburger or Pita Bread w/Simmered Beef.

The second one is green onion pancake or scallion cake.

The local famous place for these dishes near me, A&J, doesn't even put
them on the English menu which is very annoying. I did a cheat sheet for
those of us whose Chinese is not great, especially under pressure to
order from a rude and impatient wait-staff.

"http://nordicgroup.us/dianxin/ajdianxin.pdf"

Oh, to keep this on-topic, I guess it should be stated that this is the
sort of food that a road biker should eat, especially on sub-$400 road
bikes.

Steve

"http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com"
Experts Agree, Coffee Is Good Food--Drink Lots

"http://bicyclelighting.com"
Earth's #1 source for bicycle lighting information

On May 11, 5:44 pm, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 12, 4:56 am, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 11, 2:12 pm, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm mostly being a pain in the ass with this response, but if she's
> > > also willing to eat the cost of a plane ticket (around $1100 round
> > > trip) she can come visit me in the tropics, bring me books and cheese
> > > and olives and cheesy poofs and pretzels (I'd pay seriously big bucks
> > > for the pretzels) and get a Shimano 105 equipped Giant aluminum frame
> > > for around $450.

> > > -M

> > The person in question wants a NEW bike. Not a used bike like your
> > Giant. Or a used bike similar to yours that is readily available in
> > her area for $450

> Ummm, I was talking about a new bike.
>
> Provided the person in question is willing to eat the cost of a $1100
> round trip air ticket and bring me lots of expensive goodies like
> pretzels and cheesy poofs I would be so grateful for these difficult
> to obtain goodies (add Krispy Kreme and a corn beef sandwich on rye to
> the list please) such that a Shimano 105 equipped Giant frame would
> run a mere $450 (after the 'olive' and 'English reading materials'
> rebates are applied).
>
> -M- Hide quoted text -

Which model of new Giant bike are you referring to? You seem to be
very vague with specific details.

Marian wrote:
> On May 12, 12:21 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Marian wrote:
>>> Provided the person in question is willing to eat the cost of a $1100
>>> round trip air ticket and bring me lots of expensive goodies like
>>> pretzels and cheesy poofs I would be so grateful for these difficult
>>> to obtain goodies (add Krispy Kreme and a corn beef sandwich on rye to
>>> the list please)

>> Sounds like you're looking for America in China!

> Nah, just the occasional junk food explosion.

I remember leading a bicycle tour (in California) when I had a sign-up
from someone that lived in North Miami Beach. I jokingly told him that
he had to bring me a corned beef sandwich from the Rascal House--and he did.

"http://youtube.com/watch?v=79lkd-kxVO4"

Alas, this venerable institution will be closing to make way for yet
another condominium complex.

On May 14, 10:26 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 11, 5:44 pm, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 12, 4:56 am, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The person in question wants a NEW bike. Not a used bike like your
> > > Giant. Or a used bike similar to yours that is readily available in
> > > her area for $450

> > Ummm, I was talking about a new bike.

> > Provided the person in question is willing to eat the cost of a $1100
> > round trip air ticket and bring me lots of expensive goodies like
> > pretzels and cheesy poofs I would be so grateful for these difficult
> > to obtain goodies (add Krispy Kreme and a corn beef sandwich on rye to
> > the list please) such that a Shimano 105 equipped Giant frame would
> > run a mere $450 (after the 'olive' and 'English reading materials'
> > rebates are applied).

> > -M- Hide quoted text -

> Which model of new Giant bike are you referring to? You seem to be
> very vague with specific details.-

The black one on top of the Shimano display cabinet at the corner in
the back of the store just opposite the air conditioner. Sandwhiched
between the display of pre-built non-Mavic wheels and the cheaper bike
clothing.

I thought I was being funny... ie, bring me these specific food
products and I will make sure that the combined nature of my uber-
discounts at the shop plus paying you above and beyond your real cost
for the goodies and you will end up with a bike at X price.

I honestly have no idea how much the actual bike in question is
supposed to cost retail but I a) know that retail here is generally
less than retail in the US, and b) in light of the stuff I do for the
shop I get an uber discount.

-M

On May 12, 12:12 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marian wrote:
> > On May 11, 4:34 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Is there a such thing? A 5'9" female friend of mine will be doing Bike and
> >> Build (http://www.bikeandbuild.org/cms/) this summer and wants a road bike.
> >> I suggested maybe she look for a used touring bike or even a used steel mtb
> >> but with slicks, but she's got her heart set on a new roadie. She found a
> >> steel Fuji League for $360http://tinyurl.com/2g6wam. Any other options?
> >> TIA.

> > I'm mostly being a pain in the ass with this response, but if she's
> > also willing to eat the cost of a plane ticket (around $1100 round
> > trip) she can come visit me in the tropics, bring me books and cheese
> > and olives and cheesy poofs and pretzels (I'd pay seriously big bucks
> > for the pretzels) and get a Shimano 105 equipped Giant aluminum frame
> > for around $450.

> Are you sure it's not a Giamt bike with 1O5, rather than a Giant with 105?-

Never seen a Giamt but I've seen a Ginte.

-M

On May 14, 9:53 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marian wrote:
> >> FWIW, you can't get a good corned beef sandwich in California (at least
> >> Northern California) and have the be content with the Asian food and
> >> save the corned beef cravings for trips to the east coast. I can't get
> >> Cheese Doodles out here either, which I think is what you mean by cheesy
> >> poofs. Krispy Kremes are closing out here, the fad is over.

> > What?!? No.  Say it ain't so... how can a fad for sugar coated fat
> > end???

> IMVAIO, Krispy Kreme donuts sucked. Too small and too sickeningly sweet,
> and relatively expensive though heavily discounted if you plan ahead.

I got a thing for their cinammon rolls. The rest of their donuts I
(when not in Asia) mostly have a take it or leave it attitude about.
Over here I could probably end up physically fighting off contenders
for a mere Dunkin Donuts offering.

I have a thing for cinammon rolls in general but KK are one of the few
commercial big box cinammon rolls that I especially like.

> We
> have one small donut shop near me that is good, they don't use
> commercial pre-made donut mix, but make their donuts from scratch. The
> line is out the door on weekends.

Oh drool.

> We probably get that craving about
> every four months or so, but they really are not a health food. At least
> with the Chinese donuts (油條) you're dipping them in soybean milk (甜豆
> 漿), or putting them into rice porridge (米粥).

My ob bike content is that the bike shop owner makes really good
soybean milk, good enough to drink without adding sugar while the bike
shop manager (using the same machine and the same measuring cups)
produces something vaguely gritty which requires lots and _lots_ of
sugar.

She also makes a fabulous iced green pea porridge which can often be
found in the back of the shop after large group rides.

> >> OTOH, you can probably easily get 牛肉燒餅and 蔥油餅 where you are,
> >> while most people in the U.S. would have a hard time finding these
> >> delicacies.

> > last character looks sort of like 饼 so I'm guessing (I don't really
> > read traditional) that these are fried bread products of some kind and
> > that one of them is made with beef.

> Difficult to translate, but the first one is sometimes called a Chinese
> hamburger or Pita Bread w/Simmered Beef.

Oh, them things. I used to eat them all the time in Shijiazhuang.
The ones in Hainan suck. For breakfast on work days I'd ride (more ob
bike content) to the alley on Zhongshan about half a kilometer west of
Ping'an street (don't know why I'm bothering with directions, since
the street is no longer there) and get one with green peppers and one
with a hard boiled egg and then go a little farther and get these red
bean paste filled yummies and have breakfast sitting on a stool in the
alley.

I remember the day I discovered than hundun were wontons. Must've had
like five bowls in a row cause it was the first I'd had wontons since
coming to China.

> The second one is green onion pancake or scallion cake.

Not so fond of them as street food goes.

-M

On May 15, 10:44 am, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 14, 10:26 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 11, 5:44 pm, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Ummm, I was talking about a new bike.

> > > Provided the person in question is willing to eat the cost of a $1100
> > > round trip air ticket and bring me lots of expensive goodies like
> > > pretzels and cheesy poofs I would be so grateful for these difficult
> > > to obtain goodies (add Krispy Kreme and a corn beef sandwich on rye to
> > > the list please) such that a Shimano 105 equipped Giant frame would
> > > run a mere $450 (after the 'olive' and 'English reading materials'
> > > rebates are applied).

> > > -M- Hide quoted text -

> > Which model of new Giant bike are you referring to? You seem to be
> > very vague with specific details.-

> The black one on top of the Shimano display cabinet at the corner in
> the back of the store just opposite the air conditioner. Sandwhiched
> between the display of pre-built non-Mavic wheels and the cheaper bike
> clothing.
>
> I thought I was being funny... ie, bring me these specific food
> products and I will make sure that the combined nature of my uber-
> discounts at the shop plus paying you above and beyond your real cost
> for the goodies and you will end up with a bike at X price.

You *were* being funny, IMO. Some people just take themselves too too
too seriously.

Marian wrote:

> I remember the day I discovered than hundun were wontons. Must've had
> like five bowls in a row cause it was the first I'd had wontons since
> coming to China.

I don't know what it is about wonton in China, but every Cantonese
person I know swear up and down that you just cannot get wonton as good
as you can get in Hong Kong and Southern China. They'll eat wonton
non-stop when they go back for a visit.

My wife was horrified when I told her that I ate at Yoshinoya, a
Japanese fast food place, in Hong Kong. It was late at night, I speak
barely a word of Cantonese other than "hello" and "delicious," and I was
not in the mood to seek out a late night local place and deal with
pointing at other people's food. This was like ten years ago, but she
still reminds me of it every time we see a Yoshinoya in the U.S..

On May 15, 12:09 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 15, 10:44 am, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 14, 10:26 pm, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Which model of new Giant bike are you referring to? You seem to be
> > > very vague with specific details.-

> > The black one on top of the Shimano display cabinet at the corner in
> > the back of the store just opposite the air conditioner. Sandwhiched
> > between the display of pre-built non-Mavic wheels and the cheaper bike
> > clothing.

> > I thought I was being funny... ie, bring me these specific food
> > products and I will make sure that the combined nature of my uber-
> > discounts at the shop plus paying you above and beyond your real cost
> > for the goodies and you will end up with a bike at X price.

> You *were* being funny, IMO. Some people just take themselves too too
> too seriously.
>

> > I honestly have no idea how much the actual bike in question is
> > supposed to cost retail but I a) know that retail here is generally
> > less than retail in the US, and b) in light of the stuff I do for the
> > shop I get an uber discount.

> > -M- Hide quoted text -

I get the attempt at humor. But the person's first writing implied a
used Giant since everyone knows there are zero reasonably current new
Giant bicycles with Shimano 105 components for $450. So the person
was obviously talking about a used bike and the question asker said
new bike. Exactly opposite. I realize on the internet people answer
questions by not answering them. Like someone wanting a low cost bike
and people yapping about Rivendell bikes. Or someone saying they want
to spend $3,000 on a bike and internet people yapping about buying an
old 1970s steel bike at a garage sale and riding it.

On May 15, 2:24 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 15, 12:09 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 15, 10:44 am, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The black one on top of the Shimano display cabinet at the corner in
> > > the back of the store just opposite the air conditioner. Sandwhiched
> > > between the display of pre-built non-Mavic wheels and the cheaper bike
> > > clothing.

> > > I thought I was being funny... ie, bring me these specific food
> > > products and I will make sure that the combined nature of my uber-
> > > discounts at the shop plus paying you above and beyond your real cost
> > > for the goodies and you will end up with a bike at X price.

> > You *were* being funny, IMO. Some people just take themselves too too
> > too seriously.

> > > I honestly have no idea how much the actual bike in question is
> > > supposed to cost retail but I a) know that retail here is generally
> > > less than retail in the US, and b) in light of the stuff I do for the
> > > shop I get an uber discount.

> > > -M- Hide quoted text -

> I get the attempt at humor. But the person's first writing implied a
> used Giant since everyone knows there are zero reasonably current new
> Giant bicycles with Shimano 105 components for $450. So the person
> was obviously talking about a used bike and the question asker said
> new bike. Exactly opposite. I realize on the internet people answer
> questions by not answering them. Like someone wanting a low cost bike
> and people yapping about Rivendell bikes. Or someone saying they want
> to spend $3,000 on a bike and internet people yapping about buying an
> old 1970s steel bike at a garage sale and riding it.-

So many "internet bicyclists" and only one Russell Seaton to save the
Usenet bicycle NGs! What's a SuperHero to do?

Unclench and have a cheese ****, Russ.

On May 16, 3:24 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 15, 12:09 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 15, 10:44 am, Marian <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The black one on top of the Shimano display cabinet at the corner in
> > > the back of the store just opposite the air conditioner. Sandwhiched
> > > between the display of pre-built non-Mavic wheels and the cheaper bike
> > > clothing.

> > > I thought I was being funny... ie, bring me these specific food
> > > products and I will make sure that the combined nature of my uber-
> > > discounts at the shop plus paying you above and beyond your real cost
> > > for the goodies and you will end up with a bike at X price.

> > You *were* being funny, IMO. Some people just take themselves too too
> > too seriously.

> > > I honestly have no idea how much the actual bike in question is
> > > supposed to cost retail but I a) know that retail here is generally
> > > less than retail in the US, and b) in light of the stuff I do for the
> > > shop I get an uber discount.

> > > -M- Hide quoted text -

> I get the attempt at humor. But the person's first writing implied a
> used Giant since everyone knows there are zero reasonably current new
> Giant bicycles with Shimano 105 components for $450. So the person
> was obviously talking about a used bike and the question asker said
> new bike. Exactly opposite.

There are zero reasonably current new Giant bicycles with Shimano 105
components that can be purchased FULL PRICE for US 450. That does not
mean there are zero reasonably current new Giant bicycles with Shimano
105 components that can be purchased for US 450.

The first person to bring me pretzels and olives, cheez poofs and some
Krispy Kreme donuts, a bit of English reading material (say 30-40 nth
hand novels), and a few blocks of cheese (I'm quite partial to Brie)
will get a new Giant with Shimano 105 purchased from the local bike
shop for a mere US 450. I will pay the difference.

There. Am I clear now? Has the attempt at humor been sufficiently
dissected?

> I realize on the internet people answer
> questions by not answering them. Like someone wanting a low cost bike
> and people yapping about Rivendell bikes. Or someone saying they want
> to spend $3,000 on a bike and internet people yapping about buying an
> old 1970s steel bike at a garage sale and riding it.

I think the part where I said "I'm mostly being a pain in the ass with
this repsonse" made it quite clear that I was joking and not answering
the question by not answering but was answering the question by way of
answering the question and it was simply answering the question.

-M

On May 16, 1:25 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marian wrote:
> > I remember the day I discovered than hundun were wontons. Must've had
> > like five bowls in a row cause it was the first I'd had wontons since
> > coming to China.

> I don't know what it is about wonton in China, but every Cantonese
> person I know swear up and down that you just cannot get wonton as good
> as you can get in Hong Kong and Southern China. They'll eat wonton
> non-stop when they go back for a visit.

Oh yeah baby. It's always a hard decision between late night wonton
and late night rice porridge (with vampire killing amounts of garlic,
various animal products that are probably meat, and some shrimp). The
best wontons in Haikou can be found in the alley on the east side of
Xinhua North street. Conveniently less than a kilometer from the bike
shop and and on my way home from there.

> My wife was horrified when I told her that I ate at Yoshinoya, a
> Japanese fast food place, in Hong Kong. It was late at night, I speak
> barely a word of Cantonese other than "hello" and "delicious," and I was
> not in the mood to seek out a late night local place and deal with
> pointing at other people's food. This was like ten years ago, but she
> still reminds me of it every time we see a Yoshinoya in the U.S..

I'm horrified that you ate at Yoshinoya in Hong Kong. They speak
English in Hong Kong. You don't need Cantonese (and Mandarin is only
slightly less useful than English).

I speak two sentences and one phrase of Cantonese:
Lei hou, qingmun, lei simpsee gam yingmun?
Lei hou, qingmun, lei simpsee gam potonnghwa?
Gweilo.

Hello, excuse me, do you speak English?
Hello, excuse me, do you speak Mandarin?
Foreign devil.

-M