Decent, inexpensive brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Alpe, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Alpe

    Alpe Guest

    Hi,

    Bike: 2002 Iron Horse Desperado

    I've just upgraded my rear brake from a no-name v-brake to a Deore LX V-Brake, and the levers with
    similar Shimano V-Brake ones. The new setup feels more responsive, but the problem is that there
    isn't any significant improvement in braking power. And even with a stiffer cable, the brake still
    feels mushy, i.e. the lever continues to sink after the pads have gripped the rim.

    I have tried Kool Stop pads instead of the stock V-Brake ones, and they do stop better, but because
    they are softer, the spongyness factor is even greater.

    One other thing: When I squeeze the brake hard, I can catually see the chainstays bend under the
    tension. This doesn't look good, and it probably contributes to the mushy brake feel, so I am
    considering adding a brake arch. Do you think this is a good idea, and if so, can you recommend a
    good arch? (I know Blackspire makes one).

    Can anyone recommend a good brake solution? I am looking for something under $100.

    Thanks,

    -Aleko

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    alpe wrote:

    > One other thing: When I squeeze the brake hard, I can catually see the chainstays bend under the
    > tension. This doesn't look good, and it probably contributes to the mushy brake feel, so I am
    > considering adding a brake arch. Do you think this is a good idea, and if so, can you recommend a
    > good arch? (I know Blackspire makes one).

    If you can see your stays bending, then yes, it might be an idea to get a booster. Have a look
    around, there are loads.

    Bear in mind though, that most of your braking comes from the front.

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > alpe wrote:
    >
    > > One other thing: When I squeeze the brake hard, I can catually see the chainstays bend under the
    > > tension. This doesn't look good, and it probably contributes to the mushy brake feel, so I am
    > > considering adding a brake arch. Do you think this is a good idea, and if so, can you recommend
    > > a good arch? (I know Blackspire makes one).
    >
    > If you can see your stays bending, then yes, it might be an idea to get a booster. Have a look
    > around, there are loads.
    >
    > Bear in mind though, that most of your braking comes from the front.

    true, but try a steep rocky decent with only the front brakes. makes for an enlightening ride. 'ats
    what i did back when i did that photographic ride. camera in one hand, i rode it all out (on one
    wheel for some decents).

    I think the rear brakes are only really there to take some of the work off the front brake so it can
    be held with less power and allow the wheel to turn a little more free, thus maintaining control.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  4. Alpe

    Alpe Guest

    > If you can see your stays bending, then yes, it might be an idea to get a booster. Have a look
    > around, there are loads.

    Will look into that for sure. Thanks.

    > Bear in mind though, that most of your braking comes from the front.

    Oh, I realize that. The reason I am focusing on the rear brake is that I do a lot of trials as well
    as XC. In trials you spend a lot of time balancing on the rear wheel, often in dangerous places :).
    I need a _very_ strong rear brake to keep the rear wheel steady, especially in wet conditions.

    -Aleko

  5. Magura HS33

    "alpe" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > If you can see your stays bending, then yes, it might be an idea to get a booster. Have a look
    > > around, there are loads.
    >
    > Will look into that for sure. Thanks.
    >
    > > Bear in mind though, that most of your braking comes from the front.
    >
    > Oh, I realize that. The reason I am focusing on the rear brake is that I
    do
    > a lot of trials as well as XC. In trials you spend a lot of time balancing on the rear wheel,
    > often in dangerous places :). I need a _very_ strong
    rear
    > brake to keep the rear wheel steady, especially in wet conditions.
    >
    > -Aleko

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "alpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Oh, I realize that. The reason I am focusing on the rear brake is that I
    do
    > a lot of trials as well as XC. In trials you spend a lot of time balancing on the rear wheel,
    > often in dangerous places :). I need a _very_ strong
    rear
    > brake to keep the rear wheel steady, especially in wet conditions.
    >
    > -Aleko

    Get the Avid mechanical disc for under $70 then, my friend.

    Chris

  7. Caspar Lugtmeier & Eva Skotarczak wrote:

    > Magura HS33

    Agreed! But may you want to replace the originally provided (black) brakepads with the red Coolstop
    pads which are also available from Magura. Way better performance.

    hth Patrick