Decent pumps

Steve Watkin

Guest
I seem to remember this, or a similar thread some time ago but as is always the case I wasn't
interested then! But now after trying to fix a puncture a few days ago I have decided that my
compact pump has to go cos. it's bloody useless! So can you either reccomend a good compact pump
that will acheive 100psi or thereabouts to carry on my bike or point me to the relavent thread.

Thanks SW

n Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:59:13 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So can you either reccomend a good compact pump that will acheive 100psi or thereabouts to carry on
>my bike or point me to the relavent thread.

Is there any pump other than a Zéfal HPX?

Well, OK, there is - I have Topeak RoadMorph and a track pump as well
- but the Zéfal is the best for carrying on a bike :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Steve Watkin wrote:

> But now after trying to fix a puncture a few days ago I have decided that my compact pump has to
> go cos. it's bloody useless! So can you either reccomend a good compact pump that will acheive
> 100psi or thereabouts to carry on my bike or point me to the relavent thread.

I've got an SKS one that telescopes to give a bit more oomph, and has a fold-up T grip to make life
easier, and is what I take with me on the Streetmachine (just drop it in a pannier). It's better
than useless, but not really the sort of thing I'd like to try and pump 100 psi into a tyre with. In
practice I'd just put in enough to get home, and then take out the track pump.

I've yet to see any mini pump that's as good as a full size frame pump, and I doubt I will: size
does matter.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Steve Watkin <[email protected]> said:
> I seem to remember this, or a similar thread some time ago but as is always the case I wasn't
> interested then! But now after trying to fix a puncture a few days ago I have decided that my
> compact pump has to go cos. it's bloody useless! So can you either reccomend a good compact pump
> that will acheive 100psi or thereabouts to carry on my bike or point me to the relavent thread.

Wiggle sell a minature footpump for twenty quid that will achieve anything up to 120psi. It can
easily be carried on the bike; indeed it comes with its own little bag to attach it to the frame.

I've found it very effective, but then I only inflate to 85-90psi. It's certainly much easier than
the Massi minipump that I keep in my desk drawer.

Regards,

-david

Looks good but I need to use it with a Trice Trike as well as my DF. Is there anything shorter, or a
way of fitting it to the trike?

SW

> n Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:59:13 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >So can you either reccomend a good compact pump that will acheive 100psi
or
> >thereabouts to carry on my bike or point me to the relavent thread.
>
> Is there any pump other than a Zéfal HPX?
>
> Well, OK, there is - I have Topeak RoadMorph and a track pump as well
> - but the Zéfal is the best for carrying on a bike :)
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

CO2 cylinders have always worked for me. Carry as many as you deem necessary. Plus a compact pump as
a get you home job if you want to be totally covered. I seem to recal someody making a CO2 inflater
that also had a crude pump action for use if you ran out of CO2. Seemed like a good idea.

Cheers,

Andy

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
> Is there any pump other than a Zéfal HPX?
>
> Well, OK, there is - I have Topeak RoadMorph and a track pump as well
> - but the Zéfal is the best for carrying on a bike :)

I too am a big fan of the Zefal HPX, but with the Airnimal (which has such an awkard frame that it's
difficult to attach anything to it) I put a Topeak Mountain Morph in my Camelback. The Mountain
Morph, despite its name, can inflate over 100psi! The only thing that keeps me from recommending it
without reservation is that I know by experience that Zefal HPXs last pretty much forever, while I
haven't had the Mountain Morph long enough to attest to its durability.

-Myra

Steve Watkin wrote:

[re HPX]
> Looks good but I need to use it with a Trice Trike as well as my DF. Is there anything shorter, or
> a way of fitting it to the trike?

Just been looking at some pics of Trices..... How about rigging up a velcro strap/holder behind the
seat? Or put in bag (if using bags)? ...I would find a way. Can use the smallest size (1) if
necessary, although the longer ones pump better.

~PB

Steve Watkin wrote:

> Looks good but I need to use it with a Trice Trike as well as my DF. Is there anything shorter, or
> a way of fitting it to the trike?

I carry the Road Morph under the rack of my Stinger recumbent, and could undoubtedly rig up a holder
for the shorter HPX on the back of the seat.

--
Guy
===

> CO2 cylinders have always worked for me. Carry as many as you deem necessary. Plus a compact pump
> as a get you home job if you want to be totally covered.

Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the Crank bros minipump - it's short
enough to fit into a small saddle bag along with tube and other essential tools, yet still quite
adequate IME.

James

[email protected] wrote:

> CO2 cylinders have always worked for me.

Heh! My HPX has been used to inflate the tyres of the bloke with the CO2 inflater, after he'd failed
twice and run out of cartridges :)

--
Guy
===

In message <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
<[email protected]> writes
>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Is there any pump other than a Zéfal HPX?
>>
>> Well, OK, there is - I have Topeak RoadMorph and a track pump as well
>> - but the Zéfal is the best for carrying on a bike :)
>
>The Mountain Morph, despite its name, can inflate over 100psi!

How are these Road/Mountain Morph pumps? Do you recommend them? I almost bought one before then
didn't for some reason or other.

Though since I nearly always have a saddle bag with me nowadays I could probably just buy a
short HPX.

>The only thing that keeps me from recommending it without reservation is that I know by experience
>that Zefal HPXs last pretty much forever,

Not if you stand on them too heavily........ (as ever it seems I found Spa Cycles cheapest for a
replacement)

--
Chris French, Leeds

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>>CO2 cylinders have always worked for me.
>Heh! My HPX has been used to inflate the tyres of the bloke with the CO2 inflater, after he'd
>failed twice and run out of cartridges :)

This is how CO2 cylinders work. When they fail, within 10 minutes a chap with an HPX will be along
to taunt the CO2 user and eventually inflate the tyres.

chris French wrote:

> How are these Road/Mountain Morph pumps? Do you recommend them? I almost bought one before then
> didn't for some reason or other.

Adequate - I've used mine a couple of times following visits from the p*nct*r* fairy and it does the
job, but the Zéfal is quicker to get up to pressure, and I found I tended to catch my fingers in the
T-handle if not careful.

--
Guy
===

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > CO2 cylinders have always worked for me. Carry as many as you deem necessary. Plus a compact
> > pump as a get you home job if you want to be totally covered.
>
> Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the Crank bros minipump - it's short
> enough to fit into a small saddle bag along with tube and other essential tools, yet still quite
> adequate IME.

Is that the one that switches from double action to single action? An excellent pump that (bought my
brother one for xmas - think I'll get another for myself). Save the CO2 for your soda stream.

In message <[email protected]>, James Annan <[email protected]> writes
>Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the Crank bros minipump - it's short
>enough to fit into a small saddle bag along with tube and other essential tools, yet still quite
>adequate IME.

I'll second that. I have mine on the seatpost of my folder where it's out of the way. It will
comfortably get the tyres from flat to 80psi - after that everything bar a track pump seems like
hard work (including a Zefal hpx)

Graham
--
Graham Glen

In message <[email protected]>, Rory <[email protected]> writes

>> Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the Crank bros minipump - it's short
>> enough to fit into a small saddle bag along with tube and other essential tools, yet still quite
>> adequate IME.
>
>Is that the one that switches from double action to single action? An excellent pump that (bought
>my brother one for xmas - think I'll get another for myself).

Yes, single & double action, presta and schrader (sp?) valves and a pressure gauge.

Graham
--
Graham Glen

Rory wrote:
> James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> CO2 cylinders have always worked for me. Carry as many as you
deem
>>> necessary. Plus a compact pump as a get you home job if you
want to
>>> be totally covered.
>>
>> Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the
Crank
>> bros minipump - it's short enough to fit into a small saddle bag
along
>> with tube and other essential tools, yet still quite adequate IME.
>
> Is that the one that switches from double action to single
action? An
> excellent pump that (bought my brother one for xmas - think
I'll get
> another for myself). Save the CO2 for your soda stream.

I have to agree, it's a good pump and it comes with patches that are stored in the (what's the
word?) thing that holds it on the bike.
--
Mark

Graham Glen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In message <[email protected]>, Rory <[email protected]> writes
> >>
> >> Or else just carry the compact pump. I'm impressed with the Crank bros minipump - it's short
> >> enough to fit into a small saddle bag along with tube and other essential tools, yet still
> >> quite adequate IME.
> >
> >Is that the one that switches from double action to single action? An excellent pump that (bought
> >my brother one for xmas - think I'll get another for myself).
>
> Yes, single & double action, presta and schrader (sp?) valves and a pressure gauge.

Not quite the one I have. The smaller one fits in the toolkit as well as being cheaper and lighter,
but the bigger one may be a bit better functionally.

James

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
> chris French wrote:
> > How are these Road/Mountain Morph pumps? Do you recommend them? I almost bought one before then
> > didn't for some reason or other.
>
> Adequate - I've used mine a couple of times following visits from the p*nct*r* fairy and it does
> the job, but the Zéfal is quicker to get up to pressure, and I found I tended to catch my fingers
> in the T-handle if not careful.

I think they are as good as the Zefal HPX (although as I've noted it may not be as durable, and I
say this simply because I haven't had the Mountain Morph very long to test its durability). I have
small bikes and use the HPX2, so the difference in volume between the Mountain Morph and my HPX2
is not great. They are equally effective at inflation. So many mini-pumps leak air like crazy, but
the Morph and the HPX just stay attached, and all your work at compressing the air goes into
inflating the tire.

-Myra