decent road bike tires?

Veeral

Apr 14, 2003
I am looking to get new tires, something which lasts alot longer than my current crappy hutchison carbon compo. These have cuts all over and are not prone to the usual rubbish on the road. What do others use? I am looking for tires suited for riding in dry and wet weather. I came across Vittoria Open All Weather. Does anyone use this? and how durable are these tires? What is the degree of cut resistance the Michelin Pro Race tires offer ?

cheers

veeral

In terms of durability at all costs, I've heard the Continental GP 4-Seasons and Continental Gatorskin are very good.

Not sure of the puncture-resistant models of other brands.

I'm using Michelin Carbon Tires rated for a lot of miles (forgot exactly how many) but I've never gotten a flat due to the tire being punchered but rather from wrong tire pressure (snake bites). After purchasing my floor pump and setting the pressure before each ride I've noticed improvements as well as no flats. Only thing I wish Michelin made the Carbon tires in different colors rather than only yellow...oh well.

Veeral,

Some info on tyres.

Vredesein Fortezza TriComps - only ever got a maximum 2,500kms out of them riding around Melbourne. The 145psi rating was fantastic but puncturing every third or fourth ride on average and going through 25 inner tubes each year was not. Also the side walls suck - get them wet and they will start to come undone soon after. In one instance the side wall on my front tyre actually got tangled in the spokes and hub while riding.

Michelin Axial Pro - great tyres in dry and wet. A very comfortable ride with low rolling resistance and excellent handling. Only downside was they got cut up pretty easily riding around Melbourne (don't ask me how) such that after 1,500kms they looked as though they'd travelled 10 times that distance. Never actually got to ride them full distance to discover durability.

Michelin Pro Race - currently riding them and would not recommend anything else. Very sweet ride with great cornerning/handling ability (much like Axial Pros) - have done 3,500kms on currently pair and they is virtually no sign of wear. There are no cuts or small nicks in the tyre surface and I've not had one puncture with them (which is most pleasing). Now have 8 more of these tyres in my wardrobe for future use.

id agree about the michelin pros and pro racing being fast and good but not in RAIN. They slide like anything and have no grip.
cheapy vittoria runinos grip much better but are slower

I use Continentals for everything.

Ultra 2000's are fairly cheap and work very well. You could even race on them if you had to. Of course, these are clinchers. The best tubular out there is the Continental Comp GP and can be inflated to 170 psi (i've heard of people using 180-190 psi!!!).

Try the Ultra 2000's. They corner well in the rain, ride nice, and are reasonably priced.

thanks for the replies.. i just ended up getting conti ultra gatorskin. Lets see how this goes.

Want durable?

Look at the more inexpensive tires. These give you more rubber and will defiently last longer.

The Hutchinson Excel, IRC RedStorm, Maxxix Detonator, are a few alternatives.