Decent waterproof jacket?

EnglishDude

Jul 13, 2004
Can anyone recommend me a decent waterproof jacket good for commuting in the British weather also for normal use off the bike? £30 to £50 preferable. Is there any manufacturer I should look at, or should I just go for any one?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

The problem I always found with wearing cycling jackets when off the bike was that you got cold when not riding, as (what I see as) a decent cycling waterproof will keep the worst of the rain out but is deliberately not made to keep you even slightly warm - you need a fleece or jumper underneath. If you don't, you are going to cook out.

With this in mind, the best one I ever bought isn't specifically a cycling jacket - it's made by The North Face. It isn't cut longer at the back like most cycling clothes, but is quite long all round. It is paper thin (if I ever crashed, I'm sure that would be the end of it) and has some nice (subtle) reflective piping on it - this has probably saved my life a couple of times. Bought it in a sale for £10, they normally cost £30-£40ish

Failing that, I have an Altura jacket which is quite good but flourescent yellow - at least your mates would find you in the pub. Problem is it really looks like a cycling jacket and as such it's cut quite tight, which limits your choice of clothes to wear underneath. It cost £29.99 last winter.

Of course, you don't have to spend that much. I bought an excellent cycling jacket from (believe it or not) LIDL for £8 in March. I think it's a bit too well insulated -getting "up on the cam" would quickly make you sweat, but the quality is OK and it is a fairly normal looking jacket. While I was there I also bought a wireless HRM/computer - for £15! Pot luck when they have things like that in though.

Let me know if you find something you like.

A friend of mine has a nice plan black Altura jacket. He says its very waterproof and i've seen him wear it off the bike you'd be hard-pressed to notice that it was a bike-specific jacket. Check out www.wiggle.co.uk

cd667 said:
The problem I always found with wearing cycling jackets when off the bike was that you got cold when not riding, as (what I see as) a decent cycling waterproof will keep the worst of the rain out but is deliberately not made to keep you even slightly warm - you need a fleece or jumper underneath. If you don't, you are going to cook out.
Yeah, that's sorta the point what I'm looking for - a jacket that will keep the water off (very important!) but don't cook me while cycling, and when off bike, I can waer something underneath.

How waterproof are cycling jackets in general? Though I obviously know if it's raining like someone is pouring a bucket on my head, water is going to get inside me anyway.

Also what about hoods? Should I look for a jacket with hoods, or should I get it seperately?

Thanks very much for your advice once again ;)

EnglishDude said:
Yeah, that's sorta the point what I'm looking for - a jacket that will keep the water off (very important!) but don't cook me while cycling, and when off bike, I can waer something underneath.

How waterproof are cycling jackets in general? Though I obviously know if it's raining like someone is pouring a bucket on my head, water is going to get inside me anyway.

Also what about hoods? Should I look for a jacket with hoods, or should I get it seperately?

Thanks very much for your advice once again ;)

The sort we're talking about can be quite good if they're kept clean and washed in Nikwax and tumble dried or ironed(it's a bit like a waterproof fabric conditioner, costs about £6 a bottle from outdoorsy type shops and turns all sorts of clothes into waterproofs), although they won't keep you dry in a downpour. Then again properly waterproof jackets will make you damp even when it isn't raining! The truth is if you get into cycling, you're going to get wet!

Hoods are a matter of personal preference. You need to make sure that:-

a) they don't obstruct your vision - some can act as blinkers and give you instant tunnel vision.
b) if you choose to wear a helmet, the hood needs to fit over the top.

Personally I wouldn't bother, although mine all have built in hoods. Try it and see what you like.