decided to make it myself [52 teeth crankset with pics]

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by zanrock, Apr 29, 2013.

1. zanrock

zanrock New Member

i decided to move this from the cafe to here because i think that the topic really belongs here. like i said it got welded and cleanup and pretty much trued so i hope thathe pictures help do the justice of the work it took to do this. also i repressed the shaft into the drive side so now the fitting and shimming begins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

nice truvativ part (crank and spider), hopefully it works well

3. zanrock

zanrock New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are some pic's of the crank mounted and with the old crank shimano m-522 42 32 21 later i will show it mounted [bike upside down] so you can see the shims. you cant see it in these pictures but the shim needed on the drive side ended up being 8.25mm wide, i wanted this crank to sit pretty much like the old one and it looks factory just like it should be. i know the left side will be some work i got to get the side pressure right so i have no vibrations or looseness and the crank arm needs to look right too ill get it as long as i dont rush it....Rocky j

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Looks good ...

BTW. I'm glad (or, I hope) your front derailleur swings out far enough!

5. zanrock

zanrock New Member

Mr alfeng, good guess, i got the front derailer to work but it needs to be about a 1/2 inch longer. When the chain is in the first gear [the 30 tooth] the chain rubs on the bottom roller only when i choose 7,8,9 gear on the rear wheel. Otherwise the derailer works great. back on my progress got to put a few miles on and had to cut down the shim and collar on the left side. i'm pretty close to getting it fitting correctly but man what a difference this is. the bike feels like it should have been made this way, so before i push it more i need to finish the fitting but this was definetly worth this to me [the time and effort] i cant wait to push harder and make the smile bigger. rocky j

6. zanrock

zanrock New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i took these last night, sorry if they are a liitle dark. now you can see all the shims and collar and that it looks good. still glad to say that i really love the bike and i have gained 4 m.p.h. except for the last 3 gears i have gaind 6+ mph. when i was in 27 gear my speed while peddling semi- hard was 18-19 mph now in 23rd is the same 18-19 mph and in 27th i average 25-27 and while peddling like a squirrel have hit 30mph [i need thinner tiresagain] so YEA its worth it. definetly created i think the right balance of a road bike and a mountain with a proper suspension rocky j PS if there are any questions or a comment about the bike or possibly wanting to see it [if you are in the new jersey area] leave a e-mail and i'll get back thanks

7. zanrock

zanrock New Member

Incase anyone still wants to know I got about 100 miles and have it pretty much adjusted to where the cranks spins freely with no play side to side. Still I am glad to have done this., one note I have changed my 1.65 wide tires to 1.5 wide and have gained only a little bit more but I think that's it. but compaired to a 1.95 wide the thinner is best. well I guess that my story about the build is over but I now have the hybrid I think that should have been built.....rocky j

8. zanrock

zanrock New Member

Well I have added 150 more miles to the crank and bike [been busy, weather work etc] and i got it totally worked out. that is the shimming, fitting etc I also had the guys at the bike shop try it and they were very impressed on how it all worked out so again I feel that is was worth it and for now the bike shop guys believe I have the only full [ modern not spring loaded] suspension hybrid bike in n.j. and I think there right

9. zanrock

zanrock New Member

Hi everyone, I know it has been a long time since I commented about this build, I have to say that I wish it was not so cold here to ride but I have put 2000 miles with no problems. Due to my m.s. issues the cold temps make riding very hard.During rides I have had some problems keeping up with the road bikes ( 52 teeth compared to 57 teeth) but definetly made the roadies look while a mountain was staying with them. Later I will look for a 57 tooth gear but then the crank will be a 2 gear not a 3 so I am definetly proud of this build and would be glad if I could see more of like I have done, Rich

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Sounds great ...

Nicely done!

You might want to try a 53t-or-54t Chainring, first, before installing a 57t Chainring ...

Depending on the incline-and-number of hills you encounter on your rides + the Cassette you are choosing to use, a 54t-42t combination might eventually serve you well.

BTW. Did you heat the crank up to remove the spindle (and, at ~what temperature) OR were you able to simply press/tap it out & back in place?

11. zanrock

zanrock New Member

One tooth may help but well have too see what's available before I proceed again, I may have improved my mountain bike and made it a trainer but it will never be a road bike. So i may have to leave well enough alone.The shaft was a easy press out only used a 10 ton press set and removed it by hand and reinstalled by hand too.

12. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member