Decided to rebuild my old bike

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
Prior to owning my current mountain bike, I had a GREAT bike called an AlpineStars AlMega. The bike climbed like no other despite being something like 27 lbs. Unfortunately, the front derailleur hanger broke off of it, and I retired the bike.

Some time ago, I found an old guy who was an expert aluminum welder, so I had the bike repaired. Now I've decided to get it ridable again, but it's full of non-standard parts (1-1/4" head tube, old Manitou 3 fork, etc). I've started by disassembling the fork, and look at the elastomers that I had to use a coathanger to remove:

elastomers
The one on the left is a normal one for comparison. The other two used to look just like it.

It may be too hard to get parts for this fork, and the brace interferes with V-brake operation, so I might just get a reducer and put a 1-1/8" fork on it.

Here's a pic of the frame. Notice the S-bend seat tube. Chainstay length for this sucker is just a tad over 15".
bike frame

If you guys find this interesting, I'll keep the thread updated with pics and progress. ;)

tyler_derden said:
Don't you need to heat treat aluminum after welding?
I don't know anything about welding, but this guy has been an aluminum welder for like 40 years, and he made race car frames and stuff like that. His garage was full of all these cool things he made.

tyler_derden said:
Nice bike!
Thanks! I'm starting to think the way to go is to ditch the Manitou 3 and shim the headtube down to 1-1/8th.

Anyone have any experience with SRAM X.9 Trigger shifters? Pricepoint has a shifter/derailleur combo that I'm thinking about trying out. I'm wondering if the shift action is similar to Shimano shifters.

So your wanting to change from an 1 1/4 threaded to an 1 1/8 threadless headset? If so check with sheldon browns site. I bet he can tell you how, May just need to change headset. AS for the Sram X9's they're great! crisp precise shifting easy to index, and the ergonomics of them work super! Good luck

Born2bahick said:
So your wanting to change from an 1 1/4 threaded to an 1 1/8 threadless headset?
Actually no - it's already threadless. I'm just considering converting headtube sizes to increase my fork selection.

Born2bahick said:
AS for the Sram X9's they're great! crisp precise shifting easy to index, and the ergonomics of them work super! Good luck
Great! Thanks for the feedback on that. I'm probably going to change my primary mountain bike over to SRAM since I just toasted the rear derailleur last ride.

cydewaze said:
Actually no - it's already threadless. I'm just considering converting headtube sizes to increase my fork selection.

Great! Thanks for the feedback on that. I'm probably going to change my primary mountain bike over to SRAM since I just toasted the rear derailleur last ride.

Here's a headset:

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_devo.html

Dunno where to get it. Do know it ain't cheap.

I may be able to supply some elastomers for you. How many would you need? I have an old bike with M4s that I'm thinking of converting to a modern fork. If so, the M4's will go on my wife's bike, but she won't need the mix of elastomers that I use.........

GV27 said:
Here's a headset:

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_devo.html

Dunno where to get it. Do know it ain't cheap.

I may be able to supply some elastomers for you. How many would you need? I have an old bike with M4s that I'm thinking of converting to a modern fork. If so, the M4's will go on my wife's bike, but she won't need the mix of elastomers that I use.........
Yeah, I've got a Chris King on my road bike. Over 10 years and still going strong.

As far as the elastomers go, I'll know once I get the thing rebuilt. I'm still looking for a manual on the thing.

cydewaze said:
I'm still looking for a manual on the thing.

Let me know if you'd like me to scan the M4 manual for you. IIRC it's only a few pages. I don't THINK the M3 and M4 were all that different.....but I don't remember. It was a LLLOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time ago when I thought I was hot-poopoo when my M2 ridin' buddy came back and said "WTF? I can't bottom out this fork?!?!?" "progressive springing man!" "oooooooooohhhh". LOL

edit: OTOH, I just ordered a new fork for my old bike. Technology has come a long way and I think it'll make a BIG difference to my bike. Won't quite have the same old-school cool factor, but it should flex less, damp better. Lock out feature, no cold-weather stiffness.........