Deciding on a cheap (approx $1200) touring bike.

I wonder how it is you people call me the troll when you've obviously taken on such traits yourselves.

Originally Posted by Strelok .

I wonder how it is you people call me the troll when you've obviously taken on such traits yourselves.

I don't think you are a troll, but I do think you are lacking in experience so you don't know what the issues are. And you seem to be looking for validation of your choices rather than suggestions. But that is common for everyone.

I think you mentioned Phil Wood. Back in the 80's I used his products - hubs and bottom brackets. They were much better than low end parts back then. Now, they are not much if any better than low end stuff. (By low end I mean components that one might find on $1200 bikes or the cheapest wheel sets from Performance or other on line stores.

---

I have said I can carry your month's worth of food on my racing bike. My son-in-law has a different bike (I think a Long haul trucker) and a 2 wheeled child carrier. He might come up with a different solution. Both solutions would be valid they just depend on what you have available.

Borrow several bicycles and do some test riding to determine what sort of loads you are willing to haul and how various setups work out.

alright. I'll keep that in mind. and you're wheels on that road bike would seriously hold up with an extra, probably 50 lbs? (i'm estimating a bit high most likely for safety's sake).

what are y'alls opinions on bikesdirect? do they use fake components or anything like that?

I can't figure out what to make of them. some people say they're great while there are other very believable stories about how horrible they are.

Fake parts? What are those? The use quality parts just like any other bike maker does that doesn't sell at Target or Walmart. Quite a few people have said Bikes Direct might be an option to consider. As per usual, those people have more experience than you. Perhaps if you keep asking the question though, you'll eventually get an answer that you like.

A logical person would go to an LBS or several to try out bikes and get a feel for what they might like.

I may try that. It's hard to get to a bike shop out here though.

And that's my dilemma with bikes direct. They get reviews that are at completely opposing ends of the spectrum.

Like alienator said, your best bet at this point is to go to a bike shop and at least test ride some bikes to see what style suits you. While you are there, try to get an idea of the size bike you might need. Most shops charge for a full fitting but when test riding bikes, they will usually tell you the basic size frame that fits you, that is the frame measures from the center of the bottom bracket spindle to the top of the seat tube.

Buying a bike online is a bit of a shot in the dark for an inexperienced cyclist. Most don't know a lot about fit and about the quality of components. It is also a bit of a shot in the dark for experinced cyclists because you don't have a chance to test ride the bike before you purchase it.

I don't have any first hand experience with Bikes Direct but I have freinds who have bought from them and most of them were happy with their purchases. Just remember that only about 25% of satisfied customer leave a positive review, but 100% of unhappy customers leave a negative review. From what I have seen, BD sells good quality bikes at a good price. Their shipping and communication with the customer is excellent. But once the bike is delivered, customer service is lacking to say the least. If you go with BD, hope that everything is right when the bike is delivered, some assembly required.

Katie Long is exactly right about online reviews. No matter what site is visited and no matter what the product, unhappy customers are far more likely to post than happy customers.