Deciding on Lemond TDC vs Giant TCR 0

sonomasp

Feb 19, 2004
OK here is the dilema. Actually it is a pretty good one.

I have a custom steel frame that weighs in at 3.6 according to the build sheet.

The total bike weighs in at something between 18-19 lbs. I have done 3 Terrible Two Centuries on this bike(check out Santa Rosa Cycling Club), numerous Crits, and a few road races. The bike fits well, and climbs great because of the relaxed seat angle 72 D. The only thing I wish to change is that I got the Ouza Pro fork used. So I need to find a stem with a short stack height and flip it to keep the proper fit. I would like to have a longer steerer.

Well every year the bikes keep getting lighter, and in Crits that is exceleration speed out of a corner. Lets say I'm giving up 2.5 lbs.
Multiply that by 4 corners X 20 laps. That's 200 lbs. extra.

So I have the opportunity to buy a Lemond Tete de Course for $2000 or a Giant TCR 0 for $2700. I'm am leaning towards the Lemond for cost but am concerned about the craftmanship. It has a lot of negative feedback on Road Bike Review. And of course it is DA 9 vs DA 10 brand new with warranty to original buyer for the Giant

One final note. The Lemond was previously owned by on of the Webcor riders but not raced last year. So the parts are in excelent shape.

What are your thoughts. Or just keep what I have and get a new fork with a longer steerer?

sonomasp

sonomasp said:
OK here is the dilema. Actually it is a pretty good one.

I have a custom steel frame that weighs in at 3.6 according to the build sheet.

The total bike weighs in at something between 18-19 lbs. I have done 3 Terrible Two Centuries on this bike(check out Santa Rosa Cycling Club), numerous Crits, and a few road races. The bike fits well, and climbs great because of the relaxed seat angle 72 D. The only thing I wish to change is that I got the Ouza Pro fork used. So I need to find a stem with a short stack height and flip it to keep the proper fit. I would like to have a longer steerer.

Well every year the bikes keep getting lighter, and in Crits that is exceleration speed out of a corner. Lets say I'm giving up 2.5 lbs.
Multiply that by 4 corners X 20 laps. That's 200 lbs. extra.

So I have the opportunity to buy a Lemond Tete de Course for $2000 or a Giant TCR 0 for $2700. I'm am leaning towards the Lemond for cost but am concerned about the craftmanship. It has a lot of negative feedback on Road Bike Review. And of course it is DA 9 vs DA 10 brand new with warranty to original buyer for the Giant

One final note. The Lemond was previously owned by on of the Webcor riders but not raced last year. So the parts are in excelent shape.

What are your thoughts. Or just keep what I have and get a new fork with a longer steerer?

sonomasp
I have bought alot of brand new forks for very little money,including Ouzp Pros and Looks. Beats the **** out of $2700 even if you pay list.

boudreaux said:
I have bought alot of brand new forks for very little money,including Ouzp Pros and Looks. Beats the **** out of $2700 even if you pay list.

Actually The Giant TCR 0 list is $4050, not $2700. That is my price through the Team