Deciding on next upgrade: wheels &/or groupset ?

DanDare

Jul 15, 2009
I recently posted a topic regarding some wheel options as an upgrade over the hoops which came with my old Giant Defy 4: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/491926/recommend-to-me-read-confuse-me-even-more-lol-a-wheelset-from-my-list I had some useful info but i've had a thought... I can either stick to purchasing some new wheels which i've shortlisted around the £3-400 mark (Fulcram 3's, Campag Zondas, Shimano RS80 C24's all around 15-1560g) or justify an increase in budget & purchase a descent but slightly cheaper wheelset (Campag Scirocco 35's @ 1725g) and a new groupset to replace the low end Shimano groupy which again was fitted to my old Giant Defy 4 (so Campag Veloce, or maybe Campag Centaur or Shimano 105 5700) I'm unsure about doing a 'half way house' by buying cheaper wheels to help fund the groupset but, by upgrading both it'll free up my old wheels/groupy etc to build up a winter trainer/club turbo session etc bike) I know there may not be a right or wrong answer to this but i am interested to hear you opinions. To recap, bike is used for anything from TT's to 30-60mile training rides. Dan.

I suggest having a wheel builder build you a custom set of wheels. For the price mentioned you can get a set of wheels at least as good as those mentioned, and that set of wheels could very well be lighter, too.

From the choices you list, personally I would get a new Veloce group AND a new set of handbuilt wheels. You could get a set of nice wheels built on Campy record hubs with your rim of choice by a local builder (or at a reputable mail order place like Excel Sports) for around three hundred quid. In the end you will have some of the industries finest hubs and imo the best shaped brifters ever (yes ever) to grace the cycling world. Another of many opinions.

danfoz said:
From the choices you list, personally I would get a new Veloce group AND a new set of handbuilt wheels. You could get a set of nice wheels built on Campy record hubs with your rim of choice by a local builder (or at a reputable mail order place like Excel Sports) for around three hundred quid. In the end you will have some of the industries finest hubs and imo the best shaped brifters ever (yes ever) to grace the cycling world. Another of many opinions.
That's a good option, too. While I liked the old Campy brifter ergos, the new ergos are even better. IMHO, they're damned near perfect.

I've read concerns regarding the flexable feel of the 'plastic' shifters on the Veloce levers, whereas the Centaur shifters are metal. Any experiences ? Still not sure about the handbuilt wheels, i can see the point it's just that i have a budget & i can get the Campag Scirocco 35 wheelset for £190 ($305) or the Zondas for £267 ($428) I'll see, lol.

DanDare said:
I've read concerns regarding the flexable feel of the 'plastic' shifters on the Veloce levers, whereas the Centaur shifters are metal. Any experiences ? Still not sure about the handbuilt wheels, i can see the point it's just that i have a budget & i can get the Campag Scirocco 35 wheelset for £190 ($305) or the Zondas for £267 ($428) I'll see, lol.
I've idea about Veloce shifters, but the Centaur shifters are nice. It's fairly common to switch out the previous generation of brifters for Centaurs'.

Originally Posted by DanDare .

I've read concerns regarding the flexable feel of the 'plastic' shifters on the Veloce levers, whereas the Centaur shifters are metal. Any experiences ?
Still not sure about the handbuilt wheels, i can see the point it's just that i have a budget & i can get the Campag Scirocco 35 wheelset for £190 ($305) or the Zondas for £267 ($428) I'll see, lol.
I switched from Shimano DA/Ultegra to Campy Athena 11 earlier this year. Some article review also accused the Athena levers of feeling "plasticky" compared to the chorus/Record/SR and I was hesitant at first - got such a good deal on ebay I couldn't resist though. IMO however they shift well and feel quite solid. Point being if possible you should find out personally, which may be tough as not too many LBS OEM bikes come w/Campag, and Veloce to boot - if you can find a Bianchi dealer the 2012 Sempre comes in a Veloce flavor. You could also just go for the Centaur group and the cheaper wheel option.

Edit: Just looked on ebay and the price for Veloce group is about 700US and the Centaur 1000US. LBS prices will be a bit higher.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I've idea about Veloce shifters, but the Centaur shifters are nice. It's fairly common to switch out the previous generation of brifters for Centaurs'.
I have a friend who is running the new Centaur levers on an older Campy group (not sure which but I think it's Veloce) and he likes very much. The ergos are refined, the lines are sexy, and the breaking leverage from the hoods is the best of any lever I have ever used.

danfoz said:
I have a friend who is running the new Centaur levers on an older Campy group (not sure which but I think it's Veloce) and he likes very much. The ergos are refined, the lines are sexy, and the breaking leverage from the hoods is the best of any lever I have ever used.
The only downside is the difference in shifting. You can only go one up or three down at a time. Braking from the hoods is excellent.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The only downside is the difference in shifting. You can only go one up or three down at a time. Braking from the hoods is excellent.
Luckily if one is switching from Shimano to the Powershift Campy options, they'll never know (and miss) the shifting glory that is Ultra-Shift.

Thanks for your replies, I've decided to go for the Campy Scirocco 35 wheelset (i know they're not handbuilt!) & the Campy Centaur black groupy with the carbon cranks & carbon covered brakes.

DanDare said:
Thanks for your replies, I've decided to go for the Campy Scirocco 35 wheelset (i know they're not handbuilt!) & the Campy Centaur black groupy with the carbon cranks & carbon covered brakes.
:thumbup: