Decision: Campy Chorus or Centaur Shifter

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I have a decision to make...spend $250 on a Chorus 9spd shift lever or $160 on a Centaur 9spd shift lever. From the specs on both shift levers, they look on par, minus a few grams from the Chorus. Both have anodized levers (The Chorus 9spd does not have Carbon...Carbon is only available for 10 spd drivetrain, not an option for me) I cannot detect any fundamental difference in the shifter setups except for the weight. Are there any major differences between their shifting capabilities?

I am currently using a 10 speed Chorus rear dr on a 9 spd casette with 9spd Mirage shifters (Old hand-me downs I took from a previous bike) This config has given me no issues so far, but I want to scrap the cheap plastic levers for a more robust set of shifters. Right now, I would really prefer not to upgrade to a 10 speed cassette and carbon shifters just yet, unless there is no other way.

What are some thoughts out there?

Thanks

lohsnest said:
I have a decision to make...spend $250 on a Chorus 9spd shift lever or $160 on a Centaur 9spd shift lever. From the specs on both shift levers, they look on par, minus a few grams from the Chorus. Both have anodized levers (The Chorus 9spd does not have Carbon...Carbon is only available for 10 spd drivetrain, not an option for me) I cannot detect any fundamental difference in the shifter setups except for the weight. Are there any major differences between their shifting capabilities?

I am currently using a 10 speed Chorus rear dr on a 9 spd casette with 9spd Mirage shifters (Old hand-me downs I took from a previous bike) This config has given me no issues so far, but I want to scrap the cheap plastic levers for a more robust set of shifters. Right now, I would really prefer not to upgrade to a 10 speed cassette and carbon shifters just yet, unless there is no other way.

What are some thoughts out there?

Thanks
Why would you pay $250 for a 9s Chorus lever.

Heck, I remember when performance had 10s Record levers (carbon fiber) that you could get for $200 after 20% discount.

10s Carbon Fiber Chorus levers are usually only $225.

Why do you want to spend so much for yesterday's stuff?

You have a 10s rear derailleur, why do you feel so attached to that old 9s cassette you have on there? ($35 dollar item)

P.S. I don't know what the differences are between the 9s levers, but on 10s levers the Chorus have bearings and the Centaur Bushings.

53-11 said:
You have a 10s rear derailleur, why do you feel so attached to that old 9s cassette you have on there? ($35 dollar item)
Nothing wrong with 9 speed and 10 speed cassettes and chains are generally more expensive.

53-11 said:
Why would you pay $250 for a 9s Chorus lever.

Heck, I remember when performance had 10s Record levers (carbon fiber) that you could get for $200 after 20% discount.

10s Carbon Fiber Chorus levers are usually only $225.

Why do you want to spend so much for yesterday's stuff?

P.S. I don't know what the differences are between the 9s levers, but on 10s levers the Chorus have bearings and the Centaur Bushings.
Thanks.... It's not that I'm attached to the cassette..... They are just new..... I have two rear wheels and I cannot justify paying an extra $200 or so for two new chorus 10 sp cassettes.

boudreaux said:
Nothing wrong with 9 speed and 10 speed cassettes and chains are generally more expensive.
I noticed the cost of the cassette jumps considerably as well..... :mad:

Don't buy either. Get on ebay, there are at least two Chorus brake/shifter lever pairs in the $50-75 range, probably won't go for over $100. (I have a pair of unscratched 10 spd Chorus alum. levers I might let go for $150, just so I could justify buying carbon Record levers) Campy shifters are pretty robust, so buying used is probably a safe thing to do, and given the price difference, definitely a smart thing to do.

Campy 9 speed equipment is a real bargain these days. One more gear isn't going to make that much difference. The chain and cassette cost quite a bit more.

From Centaur to Chorus, you get bearings instead of bushings in the shifters, according to Campy's specs. I've never used Centaur, but can say that my 10 spd Chorus levers are a delight to use.

If I was buying 10s cassettes I'd just get the Veloce 10s cassettes.

But if you are dead set on the 9s shifters just buy some new ones off ebay.

There is no reason to pay a lot of money for really old shifters when you can get NOS for at least half the price of what you are quoting.

The cheapest thing to do is rebuild your Mirage shifters. You are not really going to gain anything functionally by upgrading to Centaur or Chorus. The springs that commonly wear out are like 8 bucks, and even if you don't want to tackle it yourself, even an incompetent LBS mechanic can handle the job. Your shifters will be good as new (worst case you spend 30bucks with the other three springs that don`t commonly wear much). I ride with Record, so don't think I am a ducktape mechanic or anything, but when I was poor I made a set of mirage shifters last 4 years (and I was racing frequently then). Just being honest that there isn't a big enough difference to justify the cost if you are counting pennies.

Hey everybody...thanks for all the feedback. I just wanted to let everybody know what I ultimately settled on.....

After much consideration, I decided against migrating to a 10 spd drivetrain... Somehow, the idea of spending more money on carbon shifters (yeah, they're pretty cool) a new chain, and a new cassette, came out to be too much. I settled on 9spd Chorus shifters which also have a carbon body, with anodized levers. They work extrelmely well and didn't break the bank!