Decisions, decisions - Cannondale, Specialized or Giant?

blackshadow

Jul 18, 2009
It's been 20 years or more since I have done any bike riding but I'm looking at buying a bike for commuting and fitness. I'm 182cms tall, 100kgs and want a machine to ride about 8kms to and from work each day as well as taking out for a ride on weekends.

I've done some research and visited a number of bike shops and narrowed my choice down to three bikes with similar features and price bracket. They are:
Cannondale Quick 3
Specialized Sirrus Elite
Giant CRX One

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any of these bikes and what they like/dislike about each.

TIA Richard

blackshadow said:
It's been 20 years or more since I have done any bike riding but I'm looking at buying a bike for commuting and fitness. I'm 182cms tall, 100kgs and want a machine to ride about 8kms to and from work each day as well as taking out for a ride on weekends.

I've done some research and visited a number of bike shops and narrowed my choice down to three bikes with similar features and price bracket. They are:
Cannondale Quick 3
Specialized Sirrus Elite
Giant CRX One

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any of these bikes and what they like/dislike about each.

TIA Richard

I have no direct knowledge of the three bikes but the Giant has wheels that 'may' be a problem at 220 pounds(100kgs). In any case, you often buy the bike shop as much as the bike. BUT make sure they true, round, dish and tension the wheels on any of them before you buy.

I would have said Giant straight off the bat as thier value for money in these sorts of ranges is next to impoosible to beat.

That said those wheels will not last you as long as others will. They won't explode the first day you ride them, but over time will require more attension. If you were to get the giant, I'd actually down grade the wheels, I'm fairly sure shimano still do a 20/24 wheelset. I'd even go for a different brand. Some of the lower campy/fulcrum wheels may still be acceptable and come with more spokes, bascially stronger wheels.

Since you are in melbourne how about considering one of these:
azzurri.com.au
the opal (flat bar section) is a similar price range, has the 20/24 spoke wheels, 105, and CF seat stays (bit of bling). RRP is about the same as the giant.

Bought a Quick 2 almost a month ago. I'm heavier than you and are using the bike for the same reason. Back and forth to work every day (10 miles roundtrip) and a longer ride on Saturday (15 - 20 miles). Bike has been excellent so far.

I am 6ft tall 220lbs and have been riding my Giant OCR since Jan. The bike is great, has a light frame and nice ride. As far as the wheels i have not had any problems. I did however change the pedals shortly after i bought it to a shimano pedel. SPD

Are there any other potential problems with the Giant that i should know about.