Decisions decisions ugh!!

Hazy

Aug 19, 2010
Ok so I have been doing my research, looking closely at, and speaking with LBS dealers about bikes. More specific, road bikes.

Since I have no desire to be competitive I am looking at road bikes with a geometry leaning towards comfort rather than race. I have looked at Felt Z85 ( probably my favorite but just a bit outside my upper budget limit ) Cannondale Synapse 5 ( again just outside the budget limit ) Cannondale Synapse 6 , Giant Defy 2, Trek 1.5 . I have interest in a Norco crd 1 but not sure if this bike has a relaxed enough geometry as I have not yet been to the bike shop to see this one yet.

The LBS with the Felt was very knowledgeable and willing to "deal" and certainly gave me a good feeling when I left but again the bike is probably just out of reach. They also sell Scott bikes but the geometry seems a bit different for what I am wanting.

The LBS with the Cannondales also carried the Giant brand. Very reputable group of people and willing to deal. However, they did not have the Syapses in stock and seemed to deter me away from them in favor of the Giant. I like the Giant Defy 2 and is well within my budget at the price point I negotiated with them. However, I cant help but feel a little cheated by not being able to see the Cannondales.

Trek is Trek and while I know they are a good bike, the LBS feels more like a big box store than what the other bike shops seem to offer. So I can probably nix my purchase decision from them.

Back to the Norco, I will most likely go take a look at the bike within the coming week unless someone can tell me with some certainty that the geometry is not what I want.

As for me, this will be my first road bike and will be using it for personal fitness and recreation which will include but not limited to training rides and long distance recreational rides.

Any advice, opinions and/or commentary on my situation will be greatly appreciated.

both the giant and the felt look good . I like the fact that the felt has some shimano 105 components on it (10 speed components vs giants 9 speed components ).these bikes are both in the 1000.00 $ range and I would imagine that the LBS's are willing to deal , especially on 2010 models . it's easy for me to add bikes to your list especially when the price keeps going up and I know you stated that you not interested in being competitive but as you better yourself , ride after ride , and your personnel fitness comes into play , you will find the need to constantly improve on your own levels . it's possible to go into a bike such as a cannondale caad 9 and change the geometry by changing the stem to one that brings you more upright , keeping the original stem for if your desires change in the future . just an idea ! after all this is about purchasing one bike to meet all your needs (for a while) . this time of year it's a buyers market ( 2010 models ) and some of the LBS's are willing to make sales on bikes that you would have thought to be out of your price range. make sure they know that you are shopping around .

I bought a 2011 Felt Z85 and love it!! I would highly recommend it. The 2010 is the same geometry, so if you can find one it'll ride the same - just a slightly lower grade of component as the 2011 comes with the new 105.

Nothing wrong with the others on your list either :)

Thanks for the replies Maddog and CC. I was really hoping to hear from someone about the Cannondale Synapse but oh well.

I'm going to see what I can do about fitting the Z85 in my budget but I hate putting myself in a bind even for a short while. I wish the Z series of bikes came with a Tiagra option therefore a little less pricey but that does not seem to be the case.

Anyway, I have several weeks before I make my final decision so who knows what may happen before then.

All in God's time anyway :)

remember - dont settle . If you got an itch to check out that cannondale , than do it .maybe another bike shop ? I know this turns into a pain in the butt - but what the heck , you got a couple of weeks yet . go for it hazy ! remember - you have no obligation and do not owe anybody anything yet . LATER

Hazy I can give you a little input on the synapse. I purchased a 2010 synapse4 Rival in August. Got a good deal due to the new models being out. I have put about 2500 miles on it in 5 months. I wore the tires out at about 1400 miles and replaced with Conti4000s. Took the stock seat off after 2 blocks, it was REALLY uncomfortable and replaced it with a Selle Italia max flite gel. Just recently upgraded from the stock Aksium wheelset to the Krysium SL. The Aksiums were fine but tended to go out of true sometimes. May have been due to my weight. Started at 243lbs, but have went down to 195.

So far the bike has been absolutely great. Normal rides of 25-45 miles daily. Have had normal tuning of the deraillers mainly due to chain stretch. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the alum bikes start around $800.00 I think and go up from there. So far the CF frame has been fine for me with a very comfortable ride. Hope this helps.

Did you look at the Z100? It's a Sora equiped bike for $800....

I think the 85 is worth the extra $300 personally, but the Z100 looks to be a nice bike :)

Thanks MidTex for your personal review of the Synapse. I was looking at aluminum but the only LBS that carries Cannondale in my area has none of those in stock and really didnt have anything good to say about the aluminum Synapse but did have good things to say about the carbon synapse they did have in stock. Go figure.

CC, yea I looked at the Z100 but having test ridden some other models that were sora equipped I am not really fond of the Sora style shifters. :) Like the price better though :)

Talked to an LBS on the phone today about the Jamis Ventura line and will be making a visit there tomorrow. Specifically the Ventura Race which is 105 equipped but may also (UGH !!!!) be out of my budget. Sometimes I hate being good about staying within my means :) This same dealer carries Bianchi but does not have the bike I would be interested in (Via Narone 7 w/Tiagra group) and so then commenced to have not so nice things to say about that company and were actually contemplating dropping the Bianchi line. Sigh!!! Nice looking bike though.

So the search continues.... Feel free to add your 2 cents about any of the bikes I have mentioned or promote some I have not, and Thanx 4 the help

Just wanted to add congrats to MidTex on the weightloss. I went from 198 to 173 last year and now am beginning to gain ( Muscle mass ) untill I begin my regular riding regimen in the early spring. (Not crazy enough for Winter riding..... YET :) )

The Z100 uses some off-brand shifters I think without the thumb lever... I could be wrong...

The Via Narone 7 is a nice bike, I have a friend who rides the '10 model with 105 (that one has the Carbon seat stays!) and it is a sweet ride... even more outside your price range though. I wouldn't worry about Bianchi as a company - they make great bikes and have for years.

I love my Cannondales. I have a CAAD 9 3 and a Synapse 6 Carbon. The frame geometry on the Synapse carbon is the same as the aluminum frame bike. So why not test ride the Carbon bike to see if it tickles your fancy. You should be able to make a judgement on the riding position to see if you want to further pursue the Synapse.

davereo - good to know you fancy cannondales . in the classified section , there is a cannondale R900 with campy veloce for 950.00 . what do you think of the pricing ? considering for my son . Seems high to me .I was thinking around 600.00 .the bike has to be 4 to 5 years old .

Originally Posted by maddogbubba .

davereo - good to know you fancy cannondales . in the classified section , there is a cannondale R900 with campy veloce for 950.00 . what do you think of the pricing ? considering for my son . Seems high to me .I was thinking around 600.00 .the bike has to be 4 to 5 years old .
600 is more in line for this bike.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Quote: Originally Posted by maddogbubba .

600 is more in line for this bike.

THANX FOR YOUR OPINION , DAVEREO