Decisions, Decisions!!!

tbuck

Jan 8, 2012
I am in the process of purchasing the 2012 Cervelo S5 but am having a difficult time deciding which groupset to equip the bike with. My 1st instinct was to purchase it with Shimano Ultegra Di2. However, I some are telling me that the technology is still in it's infancy at this point and I should wait for the 2nd generation. I currently ride Ultegra (mechanical) and have been happy with it. However, am intrigued by the Di2 as this appears to be where the industry is headed.

I am looking for feedback from anyone that is riding Ultegra Di2 and also what your thoughts are on if there is value in the cost differential (approx. $1,000).

I appreciate any advice that you can provide!

Thank you & Happy New Year!

personally i wouldn't invest " one grand " on that kind of improvement, for example you could buy a nice set of spare wheels instead,

Originally Posted by tbuck .

I am in the process of purchasing the 2012 Cervelo S5 but am having a difficult time deciding which groupset to equip the bike with. My 1st instinct was to purchase it with Shimano Ultegra Di2. However, I some are telling me that the technology is still in it's infancy at this point and I should wait for the 2nd generation.
Total BS. Shimano Di2 was released in 2009, and has excellent performance according to nearly everyone who's used it. Ui2, the e-Ultegra version, has actually improved on Di2 in several ways. Shimano's electronic gruppos are already several generations down the road.

There are a number of reviews on Ui2. You should google them. As it stands, between Di2 and Ui2, Ui2 is a tremendous deal.

From someone who rolled off the start line of his first race with downtube friction levers switching gears on a Shimano [SIZE= 10pt]600 RD, I got a chance to ride one of the new Bianchi's w/Ui2 at my LBS last weekend. Frankly I was blown away! Flawless and amazing. I don't have that kind of cash laying around anymore but if I did... fuggetaboudit. [/SIZE]