Deda Zero stem with single bolt steerer clamp

Pete Biggs

Guest
picture: http://tinyurl.com/3wr25

This version has a small internal protruding fastening device and comes
with a metal shim for 1". Is it suitable for 1" and 1 1/8" steerers of
any material or should certain steerers be avoided?

Thanks for any help.
~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/3wr25
>
> This version has a small internal protruding fastening device and comes
> with a metal shim for 1". Is it suitable for 1" and 1 1/8" steerers of
> any material or should certain steerers be avoided?

My understanding is that this clamp is not suitable for carbon steerers.
That is the reason Deda went to the two-bolt clamp on later models of this
stem.

FWIW - I have used this stem and clamp configuration on an alloy steerer
fork for several years and love it.

Regards,
Mish

Pete Biggs wrote:
> picture: http://tinyurl.com/3wr25
>
> This version has a small internal protruding fastening device and comes
> with a metal shim for 1". Is it suitable for 1" and 1 1/8" steerers of
> any material or should certain steerers be avoided?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> ~PB

probably fine for steel or aluminum steerers. to state the obvious, it
should discuss application in the instructions.

jim beam wrote:
> probably fine for steel or aluminum steerers. to state the obvious,
> it should discuss application in the instructions.

Thanks Jim & Mish.

The instructions only mention the two-bolt version.

~PB

Definitely not for use with carbon steerer - I had been running this
stem with carbon steerer for 2 seasons/5000 miles a couple of years
ago. Then I saw the stem on closeout in a Nashbar catalog with the
miniature caption "not for use with carbon steerer" - never geard or
read this anywhere else. Took the stem off to find my steerer tube with
two large cracks - lucky I didn't kill myself; had to buy a new fork
(and stem.) If you're not using a carbon steerer, it was otherwise a
good (although heavy) stem. I've switched to Thomson and haven't looked
back.

Lou D'Amelio