Deep Alloy Rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tafi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. tafi

tafi Member

I am looking or a good set of Deep rims in alloy both for a bit of aerodynamic assistance and for the flywheel effect in long races and club TTs. They need to be 24 hole.
    I can get Veolcity Deep Vs (30mm) but I want to get as deep as I can.

I have already tried American Classic 420s (34mm) and found them to be made too light and flimsy (and not particularly aerodynamic in profile).

If I recall there were a few CXP rims made by Mavic which were a bit deeper than this. I remember seeing a few nice deep silver anodise'd rims a couple of years ago on somone's bike. Very retro and very cool.

Did Campagnolo ever make a deep section rim (similar to that on the old classic Shamal - I wish they were still legal).

Anyone have any info on this (rim model, depth etc.)?
    Where might I have luck finding some?

Cheers

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

Just found out about the Campagnolo Atlanta 34mm deep. Could be as solid as a shamal. How many holes and where do I get one?

3. TNT1

TNT1 New Member

You'll struggle to find Atlanta's with 24 holes...

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Mavic CXP30s are 30mm deep but they didnt come in 24h and are quite heavy but robust. Altho not in production anymore some bikeshops still have them in supply.

Amcalss 420s are fragile as you noted so stay away from them. The new shamals that come in gold anodized color are quite cool and you can download the pdf file specifications at the campy website.

Velomax has a couple of wheels that might interest you - Circuits and Vista. Hub bearings are quite good and are reasonably light and durable.

5. tafi

tafi Member

I was refering to REAL Shamals (pre 2001) not the fake alloy spoked plasticy jobs they make now. Those wheels were the real deal.

Thanks for that I will start scouring the shops for CXP30s (are CXP14s also that deep - or deeper?)

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

2007 shamals...

7. John M

John M New Member

I think that the CXP30 was/is about the same depth as Velocity Deep V. The Cadence Aero is also 30mm deep (Check the IRD website: http://www.interlocracing.com/rims.html)

DT Swiss RR 1.2 is 30.7mm tall.

The Reynolds solitude wheel has a 31mm rim. Don't know if that rim is available separately but it does come in 24h drilling.

If you want deep, why not go carbon with aluminum braking surfaces (if that is why you are going aluminum)

8. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

If you're happy with 30mm rims, I suggest the DT RR 1.2s -- as far as I know they come in 24-hole. I have some in 32-hole and they've been just as sturdy as all my other 30mm rims: Deep Vs, Mavic CXP30 and Rigida DP18s.

however, if you have the money, maybe you could get some Zipp 417s :)
    $$$$$. Not sure about the holr number though

http://www.zipp.com/Rims/tabid/84/C...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

9. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Also, why not consider Mavic Cosmic Carbone clinchers or Zipp Flashpoints?

10. capwater

capwater New Member

Rolf Vigors all the way, 35mm deep rim.

11. tafi

tafi Member

Zipps, Cosmics and so on are all good but they are proprietry and will cost to repair. I want the flexibility of building my own wheels (how I want them - cheaper and easier to fix).

Zipp rims are designed specifically for their spoke patterns (radial front, radial non drive, 2 cross drive) and I would risk damaging the carbon spoke bed if I laced them any other way. Granted, they are an option but I don't know if I can do those patterns with the hubs i am getting.

12. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

Araya used to make deep alu rims in the 90's...IIRC they were about the same height as the original Mavic cosmics (not the carbon-faired ones)...ie, about 38-40 mm or so. It might be worth doing a search. They were called, simply, "Araya Aero", and were silver, and came in pretty low spoke counts as well.

they look like this: http://wind.ap.teacup.com/kawamoto/img/1171959602.jpg

13. tafi

tafi Member

Interesting. Thanks. I am seraching for the Arayas but am comming up pretty short. Most searches come up with a much shallower section rim. I have found an online shop called "Yellow Jersey". I think they're american but they seem to stock a lot of wierd and wonderful retro rims. Maybe I'll send them an email. Anyone know of such a shop in Australia which sells older items (from the early to mid nineties)?
    I remember also seeing some Gipiemme rims a couple of years ago. They were bare alloy and looked awesome. Anyone know anything about these?

Cheers

14. tafi

tafi Member

Okay. I have just found the deepest rims so far, 40mm on the Gipiemme Techno 716's.

Not bad for all alloy but they seem to come in stupid drillings (16/28/32). Who the hell rides a 28 or 32 spoke 40mm deep wheel? What they really need is a 20 and a 24...

No where do I find some?.....

15. alpha2k

alpha2k New Member

I'm using a pair of Run Rims' Swift TA1. Welded, CNCed surface, 30mm profile, 500g for each. I have the 32-hole version and lace them 3X for triaining on flat. Very nice rims.

I'm afraid they don't have 24-hole version from the official spec.
    http://www.sun-ringle.com/2006/roadrims.jpg

16. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Mavic CXP30s did come in 24 holes. I can confirm this because I have a 24h CXP30 rim built up with a Mavic RD501 front hub and DT spokes. CXP30s have a 30mm tall v-profile and weight in at approx. 550g per rim. Heavy compared to the current crop of deep section carbon rims but comparable to or better than other manufacturer's aluminum rims of the same profile. The CXP30s are extremely strong and durable, they can take a serious beating and stay true without worries. CXP30s had all the usual Mavic design/manufacturing elements such as SUP, UB Control, etc. If I recall, I bought my CXP30 rim about 7 years ago for $75USD/rim (extra $10/rim for the Ti finish model). The odd LBS may still have a set hanging around. Not the lightest but a solid rim.

17. tafi

tafi Member

18. honglong123

honglong123 New Member

I've just got a pair of Easton Tempest II, it's very smooth and stiff. I think the rim is 30mm and it's not too expensive, might be worth a look

19. soretaint

soretaint New Member

Just wondering what you mean by "too light and flimsy". I'm 70kg and was considering a set of these with ceramic bearings. Light is good, so are they flimsy-light or flimsy-break?;)

BTW, I ride alot of hills, on fair to good roads.

Cheers,

Cam

20. tafi

tafi Member

I bought a pair and they were indeed light but not confidence inspiring in corners (flexy). When I later broke a spoke (a Sapim CX ray no less!) at a competition in Perth, I decided that they could go. So I cut the spokes out and sold the hubs. All this within one year of race only use.

The profile in the area of the spoke bed is not very aerodynamic either: a flat trailing edge (presumably to make the walls thinner and save weight) rather than a tapered ridge as you would expect on an aero rim.

Now maybe they were just really badly built but I decided that it wasn't worth going back for another pair.

But lots of other people rave about them.