Deep carbon fiber aero wheels

.... Maybe I am the only one that gets over 2,000 miles on a rim since no one bother to refute what he said.....
I guess others on this forum must be breaking wheels as well after one ride because no one refuted it.

No, we simply can’t be bothered with CT’s impure style of argumentation any more.
CT doesn’t seem to realize the difference between ”winning” an argument by attrition compared to as winning by the value of the arguments.
And since he can out-stubborn a mule, he’s simply not worth the effort.

Man, I leave the forums and comeback to this. What was that whole heap of **** info from the n00b? That read like a copy and paste job from a Chinese website translated by a dog.

Cheap carbon rims should be ridden and inspected with the a little more care than anything else. Personally, I wouldn’t touch them even with a long pole but each to their own. I’ve had enough crashes to entertain equipment that is somewhat dubious of nature - things that Chinese knockoffs and Campagnolo wheels made in licorice factories in Romania.

If you’re wearing out aluminium rims in 2,000 miles you really need to either (a) get an accurate bike computer and quite the real distance or (b) learn how to ride a bicycle without full death grip on the brakes. Just thinking back to my trusty Mavic MA40s from the 80s, they probably had a good 30,000+ miles on them. That could actually be well over 50,000 but I can remember exactly how many years I used them in training with many hours in cold wet English winters - uphill both ways, lots of salt in the roads and a headwind everywhere. The Open 4CD’s that replaced them after a pothole the size of Lake Windermere ate the back wheel, had about the same and still lives to this day. A set of Open4 Ceramics lasted for years before someone made me an offer for them I could not refuse. I miss those rims. My GEL280’s took a fair beating for such a light rim and had more than a few thousand racing miles on them as did my trusty GP4’s and SSC’s. I still have the GEL280s and maybe I’ll get them built up with some new hubs.

That said, skinny ol’ me also manage to break the unbreakable wheel - an original DuPont/Specialized trispoke, the original matte black ones.

The only reason Campybob has some many pictures of failed carbon rims is that he made too many emergency stops when suddenly spotting sheep in his local fields, dirty old man...

oopsie!

carbon-bike-wheel-fail-3.jpg

Chinese carbon wheel warning. Avoid carbonspeedcycle at all costs!
My advice: avoid ebay seller carbonspeedcycle and anything from a seller called Helin Liu on AliExpress (or anywhere else).
Thanks for advice! It's a real problem:(

Reading back through this string I see that I was offensive in some places. I am not aware of the dates I posted these things because I was in the process of recovering from severe concussion and didn't really have a close control of my temper at the time. But being faced with people that simply don't ride like me saying things like "you can't wear a set of aluminum wheels out in 2,000 miles shows that they probably don't ride that many miles in a year. Around the time of these postings I was riding 8,000 miles a year and 400,000 ft of climbing. If you do a lot of descending you do a lot of heavy braking and that wears out wheels fairly fast. On one of my bikes (a Tommasini Fire with a steel fork) I presently have a set of Campy Shamals of the new type. Even though, at 78, I am now only riding about 4,000 miles a year and 146,000 feet of climbing and that Tommasini is only one of six bikes it is beginning to show wear.

My Cheap Chinese Carbon wheels that look and weigh very suspiciously like Campagnolo Bullets haven't given me one moments worry while the Shamals have - I just hit a large pothole a couple of weeks ago and knocked the front wheel out of alignment and Misaligned the tire on the rim.

I'm sure that you can break a carbon fiber wheel. While trying to get a tubeless tire to jump up on the step to seal I had two of these wheels delaminate from overpressure. If you don't think that ANY carbon wheel will not do the same thing, you don't know how they are manufactured.

After seeing one too many carbon fiber bikes break, I have returned to steel and have never been happier. Yes, most of the old classics are pretty heavy and climb more slowly. So who am I racing? And the Waterford Racing and Tomassini Fire are very close to the weight of a carbon fiber bike. I put a steel fork on my Tommasini Fire and it weighs 17.8 lbs. My 2018 Trek Emonda weighed 17.25 lbs. The sheer increase in comfort of a steel frame more than makes up for the increase in weight.

And I had perhaps six disk brake bikes (most of them were CX bikes). How many people here and elsewhere argued with me that if I went over the bars I didn't know what I was doing? While watching a pro race yesterday I watched a pro go right over the bars. At least when I did it I was descending a 20% grade and pulling over into deep dust so that a group of MTB'er could get by on the hard path. So people that do not ride a great deal, should not complain about my equipment choices. Nor tell me what could wear out in how many miles.

Reading back through this string I see that I was offensive in some places. I am not aware of the dates I posted these things because I was in the process of recovering from severe concussion and didn't really have a close control of my temper at the time. But being faced with people that simply don't ride like me saying things like "you can't wear a set of aluminum wheels out in 2,000 miles shows that they probably don't ride that many miles in a year. Around the time of these postings I was riding 8,000 miles a year and 400,000 ft of climbing. If you do a lot of descending you do a lot of heavy braking and that wears out wheels fairly fast. On one of my bikes (a Tommasini Fire with a steel fork) I presently have a set of Campy Shamals of the new type. Even though, at 78, I am now only riding about 4,000 miles a year and 146,000 feet of climbing and that Tommasini is only one of six bikes it is beginning to show wear.

My Cheap Chinese Carbon wheels that look and weigh very suspiciously like Campagnolo Bullets haven't given me one moments worry while the Shamals have - I just hit a large pothole a couple of weeks ago and knocked the front wheel out of alignment and Misaligned the tire on the rim.

I'm sure that you can break a carbon fiber wheel. While trying to get a tubeless tire to jump up on the step to seal I had two of these wheels delaminate from overpressure. If you don't think that ANY carbon wheel will not do the same thing, you don't know how they are manufactured.

After seeing one too many carbon fiber bikes break, I have returned to steel and have never been happier. Yes, most of the old classics are pretty heavy and climb more slowly. So who am I racing? And the Waterford Racing and Tomassini Fire are very close to the weight of a carbon fiber bike. I put a steel fork on my Tommasini Fire and it weighs 17.8 lbs. My 2018 Trek Emonda weighed 17.25 lbs. The sheer increase in comfort of a steel frame more than makes up for the increase in weight.

And I had perhaps six disk brake bikes (most of them were CX bikes). How many people here and elsewhere argued with me that if I went over the bars I didn't know what I was doing? While watching a pro race yesterday I watched a pro go right over the bars. At least when I did it I was descending a 20% grade and pulling over into deep dust so that a group of MTB'er could get by on the hard path. So people that do not ride a great deal, should not complain about my equipment choices. Nor tell me what could wear out in how many miles.

I use my brakes a lot from dealing with plenty of downhills, hairpin turns, and from dealing with vehicular traffic. I'm a bit paranoid and don't like to see my rims wear fast.

So disc brakes are an absolute gift. Gravel bikes are also brilliant because of both disc brakes and wider tires. Never had troubles hitting large potholes at high speed, I still try to avoid them but if I can't, it's no biggie. The bike is unaffected at all. The wider tires also requires considerably less PSI so you'll have less worries using them with tubeless.

I use my brakes a lot from dealing with plenty of downhills, hairpin turns, and from dealing with vehicular traffic. I'm a bit paranoid and don't like to see my rims wear fast.

So disc brakes are an absolute gift. Gravel bikes are also brilliant because of both disc brakes and wider tires. Never had troubles hitting large potholes at high speed, I still try to avoid them but if I can't, it's no biggie. The bike is unaffected at all. The wider tires also requires considerably less PSI so you'll have less worries using them with tubeless.
I'm happy that you're content with your own choice of components. You chose your bikes and components for your conditions. Many others chose theirs to impress people with how much money they could spend on them.

Reactions: cobbwheels
I'm happy that you're content with your own choice of components. You chose your bikes and components for your conditions. Many others chose theirs to impress people with how much money they could spend on them.

I've just replace the disc rotors few months ago after around 7,000 miles covered since I got the bike. I'm happy it's wasn't a set of rims I'm replacing! It's actually a cheap bike I got just a hair thin above a department store class bike. Bottom end bike models now universally come with disc brakes.

I would have bought a more expensive bike if I had more budget. I looked for used nicer bikes but the quality I'd liked, none of them came within my budget. Surprisingly, my cheap gravel bike has so far not given me any problems despite brutal riding conditions as most of our roads are badly damaged and very poorly maintained, if maintained at all.

Hey! It's great to hear that your cheap gravel bike is holding up well, even after all those miles. Disc brakes on lower-end bikes are definitely a game-changer. They provide better stopping power and control, especially on challenging rides. I totally get what you mean about budget constraints when it comes to buying bikes. It can be tough finding a good quality bike within a tight budget. But it sounds like you made the best of the situation and found a bike that suits your needs. It's all about enjoying the experiences, right? Keep pushing those pedals and enjoying your rides!