Deep fryers... Recipes/advice please? :-)

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Andy wrote:
>> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
>> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

>> > Calibrate? -aem

>> I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I
>> stand correctly. :D
>>

> I'm down to only one gun nowadays, and I can't remember when I last
> accurized it -- I mean, sighted it in. Is it your trigger finger
> that's broken? Bummer, when there are soon going to be all those
> escaped Easter bunny rabbits that need shooting. -aem

Yeah, my trigger finger. Aw well. What's a mother to do? ;)

If the township allowed I'd .22 rat-shot every squirrel, mole, jack
rabbit, and groundhog (for that 6 extra weeks of winter') on my property.
Them and trash-day crows. Like "shoootin' fish in a barrel." *sigh*

Andy

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>>> Did he say anything specific about problems that
>>> would result from messing with the witches coven?

>> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
>> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

> People fear what they do not understand...
>
> Read this (very long) essay for a better understanding of the older
> spiritual process, Pre-dates the Christian pantheon:

(snipped essay) Uh, I didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate aka
Chung.

Jill

Andy wrote:

> If the township allowed I'd .22 rat-shot every squirrel, mole, jack
> rabbit, and groundhog (for that 6 extra weeks of winter') on my property.
> Them and trash-day crows. Like "shoootin' fish in a barrel." *sigh*

Reminds me of someone I knew in college,
who divided all types of birds into two
categories: eatin' birds and gooney birds.

Eatin' birds you shoot and eat. Gooney
birds you just shoot.

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
> >> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> >> I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I
> >> stand correctly. :D
> >>

> > I'm down to only one gun nowadays, and I can't remember when I last
> > accurized it -- I mean, sighted it in. Is it your trigger finger
> > that's broken? Bummer, when there are soon going to be all those
> > escaped Easter bunny rabbits that need shooting. -aem

> Yeah, my trigger finger. Aw well. What's a mother to do? ;)
>
> If the township allowed I'd .22 rat-shot every squirrel, mole, jack
> rabbit, and groundhog (for that 6 extra weeks of winter') on my property.
> Them and trash-day crows. Like "shoootin' fish in a barrel." *sigh*
>
> Andy

Buy a pistol crossbow with mini-bolts.

Great for varmints and totally silent.

Just don't miss. ;-)

Seriously, I've used one to "off" possums and racoons in the trap that
were eating my poultry.

BudKworldwide sells them. Cheap.

http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CB2

A good air rifle will easily take out the smaller varmints, but I'd not
try that on a rabbit or groundhog unless you are one helluva shot.

There are some very powerful BB guns on the market now...
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
> >> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

> > People fear what they do not understand...
> >
> > Read this (very long) essay for a better understanding of the older
> > spiritual process, Pre-dates the Christian pantheon:
> >

> (snipped essay) Uh, I didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate aka
> Chung.
>
> Jill

<snork> That's ok... 1 third of the thread is actually answering my
question, 1 third of it is a religious debate and the remaining 1 third
is probably going to be another gun thread. ;-)

I'm ok with that as long as I get the help that I asked for.

So, has anyone here actually ever USED a Fry Daddy
appliance?????????????????????????????????

And does anyone know jack about cooking low carb with one? <G>

Thanks luv!
--

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:52:31 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>>

>> > How many times can I re-use the oil?
>> > How long can I keep it for use???
>> >
>> > and advice! :)

>> Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
>> Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
>> as expensive and a great product.

> I won't use Canola oil.
> The smoke point is not high enough, but thanks! :)

How hot do you fry? .. I think canola smoke point is over 400 f.

The fry daddy most likely will not get to 400f. lol

OmManiPadmiOmlet <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

>> > I'm down to only one gun nowadays, and I can't remember when I last
>> > accurized it -- I mean, sighted it in. Is it your trigger finger
>> > that's broken? Bummer, when there are soon going to be all those
>> > escaped Easter bunny rabbits that need shooting. -aem

>> Yeah, my trigger finger. Aw well. What's a mother to do? ;)
>>
>> If the township allowed I'd .22 rat-shot every squirrel, mole, jack
>> rabbit, and groundhog (for that 6 extra weeks of winter') on my
>> property. Them and trash-day crows. Like "shoootin' fish in a
>> barrel." *sigh*
>>
>> Andy

> Buy a pistol crossbow with mini-bolts.
>
> Great for varmints and totally silent.
>
> Just don't miss. ;-)
>
> Seriously, I've used one to "off" possums and racoons in the trap that
> were eating my poultry.
>
> BudKworldwide sells them. Cheap.
>
> http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CB2
>
> A good air rifle will easily take out the smaller varmints, but I'd
> not try that on a rabbit or groundhog unless you are one helluva shot.
>
> There are some very powerful BB guns on the market now...

OK,

This thread has taken a turn for the worse. .22 rat-shot is good on
average to at best 75 feet, depending on windage.

I can't see my neighbors but that's the law.

The foxes take care of the mice and chipmunks.

Andy

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:06:35 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> (snipped essay) Uh, I didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate aka
> Chung.

Neither did I! <g> Matter of fact, I always thought the warnings
against harming any of the Queen's ducks were more interesting than a
spooky witches coven. Apparently the ducks hung out at a pond on the
base and were known to walk across the major roads. The rule was that
the ducks had the right-of-way so it behooved you to stop your Yank tank
and wait them to cross.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:55:11 -0500, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Walnut Sesame Chicken Strips
>
>2 whole chicken breasts (or 4 chicken breast halves, doh!)
>1 c. finely chopped walnuts
>1 c. sesame seeds
>2 egg whites
>1/4 c. milk
>1/4 c. cornstarch
>1 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. sugar
>2 Tbs. dry sherry
>4 c. vegetable oil
>
>Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
>Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
>seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
>stiff batter. Stir in sherry and blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
>batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
>sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or
>wokt o 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
>golden brown.

Whoa, does this sound good! I had to throw my sesame seeds away
because they'd gone rancid (next jar will be stored in the
refrigerator). As soon as I get more, this dish will be on the table.
If we can find the table. <G>

Thanks,
Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:50:07 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A 4-cup Fry-Daddy? That's pretty whimpy. But I guess efficient
>for small batches of food (nothing bigger than chicken wings).

I guess you've never seen the Fry-Baby. Check it out the next time
you're in an appliance department.

Carol
--

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:01:25 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
>@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
>>> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

>> Calibrate? -aem

>I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I stand
>correctly. :D

LOL! Well, I happen to *like* the new word you created. It's
absotively poifect!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>May you live long and prosper!

I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:17:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So, has anyone here actually ever USED a Fry Daddy
>appliance?????????????????????????????????

I did. Years and years ago. I don't own it anymore. Probably went
with the ex during the divorce. For just a couple people, it worked
great. I loved it.

>And does anyone know jack about cooking low carb with one? <G>

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I think you can do broccoli, mushrooms,
that kind of thing, without breading.

Okay, this is pure speculation. How about making mozzarella strips,
freezing them solid, then deep frying them? The outside would likely
get brown and bubbly without melting all over the place, and the
center would hopefully get heated through. That's how it works with
the ones you get in the frozen section at the store. A very light
coating of flour or something might be good on these without raising
the carbs too much.

I'll keep thinking.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:35:42 -0700, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>aem wrote:
>>
>> Andy wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize
>> > your temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

>> Calibrate? -aem

>A sad consequence of 5 years of Dubya's reign.
>Our language is crumbling, and nobody cares.
>It's like our roads, bridges, and educational
>system.
>
>The neo-con strategerie seems to be
>to Americanize Mexico and Mexicanize America.
>When complete, the whole continent will be
>like Texas. They're even trying to change the
>global climate to be more like Texas. :-O

I'm detecting a subliminibable message here.
--
modom

In article <[email protected]>,
jay <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:52:31 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > jay <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
> >> Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
> >> as expensive and a great product.

> > I won't use Canola oil.
> > The smoke point is not high enough, but thanks! :)

> How hot do you fry? .. I think canola smoke point is over 400 f.

Don't know, I've never fried before. ;-)
I'm trying to learn.

The other half of it is that my father believes that Canola oil
is toxic so I can't use it to cook _anything_. I don't like the
way it tastes anyway. I generally use EVOO or Grapeseed oils,
or occasionally nut oils.

> The fry daddy most likely will not get to 400f. lol

I'll have to look into getting a cooking thermometer for it, thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmiOmlet <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> Yeah, my trigger finger. Aw well. What's a mother to do? ;)
> >>
> >> If the township allowed I'd .22 rat-shot every squirrel, mole, jack
> >> rabbit, and groundhog (for that 6 extra weeks of winter') on my
> >> property. Them and trash-day crows. Like "shoootin' fish in a
> >> barrel." *sigh*
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Buy a pistol crossbow with mini-bolts.
> >
> > Great for varmints and totally silent.
> >
> > Just don't miss. ;-)
> >
> > Seriously, I've used one to "off" possums and racoons in the trap that
> > were eating my poultry.
> >
> > BudKworldwide sells them. Cheap.
> >
> > http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CB2
> >
> > A good air rifle will easily take out the smaller varmints, but I'd
> > not try that on a rabbit or groundhog unless you are one helluva shot.
> >
> > There are some very powerful BB guns on the market now...

> OK,
>
> This thread has taken a turn for the worse. .22 rat-shot is good on
> average to at best 75 feet, depending on windage.
>
> I can't see my neighbors but that's the law.
>
> The foxes take care of the mice and chipmunks.
>
> Andy

I can't discharge firearms in my yard. Not even BB guns.
I live within the city limits and could get arrested. ;-)

Possums are not as dangerous to handle as racoons so a steel club
to the back of the head works too.

Now that I no longer have poultry, I won't be offing any more of them...
They ate my chickens, ducks and pigeons.
--

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:55:11 -0500, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Walnut Sesame Chicken Strips
> >
> >2 whole chicken breasts (or 4 chicken breast halves, doh!)
> >1 c. finely chopped walnuts
> >1 c. sesame seeds
> >2 egg whites
> >1/4 c. milk
> >1/4 c. cornstarch
> >1 tsp. salt
> >1 tsp. sugar
> >2 Tbs. dry sherry
> >4 c. vegetable oil
> >
> >Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
> >Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
> >seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
> >stiff batter. Stir in sherry and blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
> >batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
> >sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or
> >wokt o 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
> >golden brown.

> Whoa, does this sound good! I had to throw my sesame seeds away
> because they'd gone rancid (next jar will be stored in the
> refrigerator). As soon as I get more, this dish will be on the table.
> If we can find the table. <G>
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

I buy Sesame seeds for $7.00 per 5 lb. bag at the Oriental market. ;-)
I keep them in the freezer in a ziplock except for what I dispense into
my 8 oz. shaker jar for cooking.

I use them quite a bit on stir fry's and steamed veggies, and sometimes
grilled meats. I also use them a lot in sauces. My dad and I like them a
lot! The 8 oz. shaker jar lasts about a month at most.

I have a large chest freezer.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >May you live long and prosper!

> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
>
> Carol

I can.

With both hands. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:17:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >So, has anyone here actually ever USED a Fry Daddy
> >appliance?????????????????????????????????

> I did. Years and years ago. I don't own it anymore. Probably went
> with the ex during the divorce. For just a couple people, it worked
> great. I loved it.
>
> >And does anyone know jack about cooking low carb with one? <G>

> I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I think you can do broccoli, mushrooms,
> that kind of thing, without breading.

Ooh good idea!
Or I can try minimal "breading" using Tempura batter.
I think that is corn starch based? I'll have to google it.

> Okay, this is pure speculation. How about making mozzarella strips,
> freezing them solid, then deep frying them? The outside would likely
> get brown and bubbly without melting all over the place, and the
> center would hopefully get heated through. That's how it works with
> the ones you get in the frozen section at the store. A very light
> coating of flour or something might be good on these without raising
> the carbs too much.
>
> I'll keep thinking.
>
> Carol

Thanks Carol! :)
I'm always striving to make dad's meals more interesting for him.
--

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Okay, this is pure speculation. How about making mozzarella strips,
> freezing them solid, then deep frying them? The outside would likely
> get brown and bubbly without melting all over the place, and the
> center would hopefully get heated through. That's how it works with
> the ones you get in the frozen section at the store. A very light
> coating of flour or something might be good on these without raising
> the carbs too much.

Om & Damsel,

Daughter bought me a Sunbeam Cafe Series Deep fryer not so long ago...
still enjoying the occasional fry-up! Can thoroughly recommend it - it
has a low-heat zone at the bottom of the vat preventing burning of
particles which inevitable come off during cooking period.
Also all stainless steel and comes apart completely and the whole lot
(minus control unit with 2400 watt heating element, thermostat & timer)
can go in the dishwasher! Including the outer casing and the 4L
capacity s/s tank! The element is suspended creating a cool zone, which
doubles the life of the oil.

Recipe booklet included some great hints and tips, as well as some
recipes:
Fried Mozarella Sticks
185g mozarella
2Tbls milk
qtr cup plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup breadrcumbs (fresh)
salt & pepper
1 & a half ups Italian tomto sauce

Cut Mozarella into 1.5cm thick sticks
Dip sticks into milk, then flour, shake off excess
Dip sticks into egg, then coast in seasoned breadcrumbs
Place coated sticks on onto a tray and freeze for aprox 25 mins.
Heat oil to 170Deg.C.
Deep fry for about 30 seconds, or until crumbs are golden.
Drain on absorbent paper
Serve with warmed tomato sauce

Perfect Potato Chips (fries)
old potatoes are ideal - waxt variety, low starch are best - Sebago,
Russet, Burbank, Spunta, King Edward, Bintje
Rinse cut fries/chips under running water until water runs clear. (This
removes excess starch which will burn at high temperatures)
dry on paper towels before frying

thin fries - blanch at 140DegC for 5 mins. Drain. RIncrease oil to
190DegC and refry for 5 mins
thick chips - blanch @ 140DegC for 7-8 mins. Drain. Increase oil to
190DegC & refry for 7-8 mins
wedges - blanch @ 140DegC for 10 mins. Drain. Increase oil to 180DegC &
refry for 10 mins

Frozen chips:
don't that
heat oil to max setting (190DegC)
Drain before removing from basket

Tempura Batter (great for vegetables!! beans, carrots, broccoli,
cauliflower, eggplant, onion rings, spring (green) onions:

half cup plain flour
qtr cup rice flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup soda water (ice cold)
1 egg

Sift dry ingredients
Add liquids and mix until smooth.
Keep batter as cold as possible
Coat food in seasoned flour before coating in batter

cheers & enjoy your deep fryer Om - and give the high carb stuff a look
in - it's not too bad if you only have high carb occasionally....and is
so nice!!!
LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"