Definitive List of Doping Offenses

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Frigo's Luggage, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

After all of the dust settles, I'd like to figure out what type of damage has been caused to the sport. Can anybody add to this list of riders that have been implicated since the Festina Affair? I don't want to include debatable people like Valve/Piti and Cantador. I also don't want to include the Oil for Drugs people like DiLuca because it is not official yet. Nor do I want to include the guys are guilty by association like the entire Discovery Channel team or people that used Ferrari but were never involved in a specific scandal like Cippolini. Just the guys that are caught redhanded:

Marco Pantani
    Jan Ullrich
    Bjarne Riis
    Lance Armstrong
    Floyd Landis
    Ivan Basso
    Roberto Heras
    Stefano Garzelli
    Aitor Gonzalez
    Tyler Hamilton
    Johan Museeuw
    Oscar Camenzind
    Rolf Aldag
    Frankie Andreu
    Udo Bolts
    Dave Bruylandts
    Stefano Casagrande
    Danilo Hondo
    Jan Hruska
    Matthias Kessler
    Iban Mayo
    David Millar
    Christian Moreni
    Raimundas Rumsas
    Dario Frigo
    Michele Scarponi
    Fillepo Simeoni
    Patrick Sinkewitz
    Alex Zulle
    Frank Vandenbrouke
    Alexander Vinokpourev
    Richard Virenque
    Eric Zabel
    Christophe Moreau
    Oscar Sevilla
    Santiago Boterorr
    Jorge Jackse
    Jose Guitierez
    Santi Perez
    Franciso Mancedo
    Angel Vicioso
    Jesus Manzano
    Benoit Joachim

Is there anybody else?

Tags:

2. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Then why include Lance Armstrong? He wasnt caught redhanded.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Six positives for EPO. Sounds red handed to me.

4. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

Here we go....

5. tmctguer

tmctguer New Member

plus a positive test for cortocoids in 1999 albeit with a Theraputic Use Exemption.

6. jrtalon

jrtalon New Member

when was this? can you cite a source....and not some guys book either, an official commision report( UCI, WADD, etc)

7. jsull14

jsull14 New Member

You could have a sequel to this thread of all the riders who have passed away due to heart failure (i.e. too much doping). I was reading through some names yesterday. It's quite shocking how many there are and I don't think it's brought up enough. Doping in general is talked about non-stop, but not dying from doping.

8. poulidor

poulidor New Member

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Rodolfo Massi (1998 TDF, part of Festina - was destroying everyone in the KOM competition when he and his team were booted off the TDF).

Philippe Gaummont of Cofidis is another notorious doper who was allowed back after having been found to dope and was caught again as the Cofidis doping ringleader.

Ivan Gotti's another guy who got caught : rival of Pantani in the mid 1990's.

10. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Lim how much storage does cyclingforums.com have? I am affraid the server might explode if we make a full list...:D

11. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Last year or the year before when the lab was "working to perfect" their epo test they just happened to test LA's blood and somehow the sample numbers were leaked to the press. Not sure if I'd call it redhanded, but caught nonetheless. It was blood from the 01 tour I believe, before they were testing for epo.

12. IH8LANCE

IH8LANCE New Member

As soon as you start qualifying your list, it becomes an opinion. Some people think Armstrong was caught "red-handed", yet he hasn't been sanctioned by anyone, an official report was issued exonerating him, and rather than "causing damage to the sport", his unique circumstances actually generated positive interest in it among Americans and cancer victims worldwide. That's not to say he was clean -- I simply take issue with your criteria for inclusion.

IMO, the people who have done "damage" to the sport are the media and agenda-driven officials who at some point decided that demonizing the riders for doing something that the entire enterprise silently condones was a good idea. Pound, LeClerc, etc. -- these are the people who ripped the sport apart with their hypocritical sanctimony. IMO, it's time to lay off the riders. They are only doing what the industry compels them to do to be able to compete. They didn't set up the system.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

It was testing for EPO in urine samples & from the 99 TDF.

15. jsull14

jsull14 New Member

Lance destroyed the field in 2004 and 2005. How could he have been + before and not in these dominant years? He held yellow for like a decade and dealt with some sloppy doctors (the same one who guided Vino). You would think he would have gotten busted red-handed somewhere in there. Maybe he is just a freak with an enlarged heart.

16. Wayne666

Wayne666 New Member

The doctors who treated Armstrong were most likely the ex-ONCE doctors Bruyneel brought in and as far as I am aware all of them are still untainted by criminal investigations and therefore probably not so sloppy. Ferrari may have guided the doping but I doubt he was actually administering it. Probably not unlike the apparent relationship between Chechini and Fuentes.

17. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

Ok. Lets exclude Armstrong for a moment. Despite the six positive EPO tests, some people don't think he was caught red handed. Are there other people that should be on the list? I will add my own:

Justin Spinelli

18. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

99, that's right! 01 was when they began testing for EPO. Thanks for the correction. :)

19. waxbytes

waxbytes New Member

I also like to point out that as of today (Aug 7/07) Floyd Landis is still in arbitration and the length of time it's taken for a decision could indicate that it is far from the open and shut case it's portrayed as.

20. jsull14

jsull14 New Member

If I am a juror I need more to go on than a five year old re-sampling from some dungy lab in Amsterdam from a doctor who can legally smoke pot before the test. Especially since Lance was never busted when they actually did start testing for EPO.

The French sports daily L'Equipe reported in August that six of Armstrong's urine samples from 1999, when he won the first of his record seven-straight Tour titles, came back positive for the endurance-boosting hormone EPO when they were retested in 2004.