degreasing with engine degreaser

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by swimbikerun_boy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. swimbikerun_boy

swimbikerun_boy New Member

I've had my cannondale R700 for a year and a half now, and have never used anything other than Finish Line to degrease my chain and cassette. I picked up a bottle of motomaster engine degreaser. The back says that it is safe for surfaces like metals, enamel, porcelain, masonary so i am not too concerned about my drivetrain. But i am worried about my paint. I bought the gray model, which isn't exactly the most reliable paintjob and tends to chip.

So i was wondering if using this as my degreaser sounds like a good idea.

Thanks

Tags:

2. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

I can't comment on either the particular degreaser you bought or the paint you have. I have a CAA7 with the team paint job on it and every other week (or weekly if I'm using a wet lube) I'll wash my bike which involves me using whatever aerosol degreaser is available from the auto shop. I've not had an issue with the paint though I only leave it on for 5 minutes or so while I wash the rest of the bike.

Maybe try a little of the degreaser on the paint under the bottom bracket and see if it effects the paint before you make your mind up.

--brett