Delaware river + Sesquahanna river tour

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Norm, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
    across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
    MD. It looks like a lot of fun and bloods boiling just thinking about it. Anyone ever done this or
    sections of it. I,am looking for worthy diversions along the way. I'am sure there are hundreds.
    Anyone intrested in joining me. I am just starting to plan it. I am thinking about 60 miles a
    day or less. I am shooting for june or july of 2003, long day light. I want to travel light but
    want to try to camp most of the way. Most of the route is close to civilization so I'am not
    going to carry much food or food prep stuff. I'am going to try to plan in plenty of time 2 to 3
    weeks. I don't want to ride in the rain and I want to enjoy myself. I may try to time the end
    with a triathlon in MD. I don't know yet. Any info anyone might have would be appreciated. This
    will be my first tour. Any words of wisdom from experienced tourers would be welcome also.

    Tags:

  2. Anne

    Anne Guest

    "Norm" <nomd @ netcarrier.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
    > across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
    > MD. It looks like a lot of fun and bloods boiling just thinking about it. Anyone ever done this or
    > sections of it. I,am looking for worthy diversions along the way. I'am sure there are
    > hundreds. Anyone intrested in joining me. I am just starting to plan it. I am thinking about
    > 60 miles a day or less. I am shooting for june or july of 2003, long day light. I want to
    > travel light but want to try to camp most of the way. Most of the route is close to
    > civilization so I'am not going to carry much food or food prep stuff. I'am going to try to
    > plan in plenty of time 2 to 3 weeks. I don't want to ride in the rain and I want to enjoy
    > myself. I may try to time the end with a triathlon in MD. I don't know yet. Any info anyone
    > might have would be appreciated. This will be my first tour. Any words of wisdom from
    > experienced tourers would be welcome also.

    I like the sound of this route. can you hhire bikes here? i am travelling from the UK.

  3. Dstra999

    Dstra999 Guest

    >I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
    >across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace

    I find this idea very interesting. I have toyed with the idea of touring the length of the
    Susquehanna...it branches northeast and north west in central Pa. The head waters seem to be in
    south NY, near Bingham?? You might want to ask some BikePa people about the Delaware part as they
    have previously (and maybe still) had a bike the Delaware tour. Good luck. I would be interested in
    your plans and progress Dave

  4. Al Davis

    Al Davis Guest

    Norm wrote:

    > I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
    > across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
    > MD.

    Planning a route along the Delaware is easy. Most of the way, the obvious route is a good one. It is
    better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side. I do not like 209 (PA side), but 521 and Old Mine
    Road (NJ side) are much better.

    Along 97 (between Hancock and Port Jervis) the ride is significantly better southbound. This is not
    just because of it being downhill. Southbound, the canyon is on your right. Part of the way the road
    follows the rim. Northbound, the scenery is across the road.

    My first thought was ... Why stop at Hancock? Above that, the Delaware forks. Following either fork
    is a good ride. It is good, low traffic roads, with relatively mild terrain, and easy navigating.

    NY 30 follows the east fork. NY 10 follows the west fork. The headwaters of both are near the
    Schoharie - Delaware county line. You could go up one and down the other. They are about 10 miles
    apart there. I recommend that loop as a good beginner tour. This part of 30 is good, but north of
    there it has more traffic than I like.

    You could connect them on NY 23, but that is too much of a highway for me. My preference is to go a
    little more north and connect on county road 2. If you try to cross over south of 23, there are big
    hills. There are no bad roads in that area, but some are very hilly.

    Planning a route along the Susqehanna is more difficult. The source is Otsego Lake (Cooperstown). At
    least for the New York part, the obvious route is not the best one.

    I am not familiar with the Pennsylvania part except for a few pieces. On the map, it doesn't look
    easy to navigate. Some ride reports I have read recommend against 11. From the map, it looks like
    there are other ways that should be better, but they are not obvious.

  5. Mark Boyd

    Mark Boyd Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, al davis wrote:

    > ... good stuff about riding along the Delaware...
    >
    > Planning a route along the Susquehanna is more difficult. The source is Otsego Lake (Cooperstown).
    > At least for the New York part, the obvious route is not the best one.
    >
    > I am not familiar with the Pennsylvania part except for a few pieces. On the map, it doesn't look
    > easy to navigate. Some ride reports I have read recommend against 11. From the map, it looks like
    > there are other ways that should be better, but they are not obvious.

    I've ridden along the Sesquahanna in Pennsylvania twice. 11 isn't bad above Northumberland and 147,
    on the eastern side of the river is nice, but hilly, from there south to Halifax. Getting into
    Harrisburg from Halifax is a challenge but, if you are up to climbing a mile and a half of 10%
    grade, 225 is a very nice road <grin>.

    See http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour99/day48/day48.htm

    which is my ride report, with pictures, from the last time I rode along that river.

    Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

  6. Ken Roberts

    Ken Roberts Guest

    al davis wrote
    > Why stop at Hancock? Above that, the Delaware forks.
    > . . . You could go up one and down the other.

    What an idea. Thanks for sharing it. I had never noticed how the ends of the East and West Branches
    of the Delaware River come together so closely -- and how you could make a loop tour that way.

    > . . . [ south of Hancock] along the Delaware is easy. Most of the way, the obvious route is a good
    > one. It is better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side.

    Generally that fits my experiences in the PA/NJ parts. Except that I'm happy to ride on River Rd in
    PA between the Riverton / Belvidere car bridge and the footbridge between Portland and Columbia. But
    mostly on the PA side I have been happier to find some (hillier) roads inland away from the River.

    A pleasant side trip on the NJ side a bit south of Philipsburg is to ride SW down Pohatcong Creek,
    which we like to reach by leaving the river at Riegelsville and first riding NE along the
    Musconetcong River thru Warren Glen on Rt 627 and 639, then turning Left onto Municipal Dr - Rt 636
    to get to the Pohatcong.

    If you're into stopping at nice coffee shops, then it's worth a little side trip to go across the
    (smaller) bridge from Philipsburg into Easton PA, straight to the main square/circle, then turn
    south a block or two.

    Ken

  7. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    >I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper
    bucks, to
    > >Hancock NY and then across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
    >
    > I find this idea very interesting. I have toyed with the idea of touring the length of the
    > Susquehanna...it branches northeast and north west in central Pa. The head waters seem to be in
    > south NY, near Bingham?? You might want to ask some BikePa people about the Delaware part as they
    > have previously (and maybe still) had a bike the Delaware tour. Good luck. I would be interested
    > in your plans and progress Dave

    FYI,the headwaters of the Susquehanna are in southern NY state, specifically Otsego Lake in
    Cooperstown, NY.

  8. Al Davis

    Al Davis Guest

    Ken Roberts wrote:

    >> It is better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side.
    >
    > Generally that fits my experiences in the PA/NJ parts.  Except that I'm happy to ride on River Rd
    > in PA between the Riverton / Belvidere car bridge and the footbridge between Portland and
    > Columbia.  But mostly on the PA side I have been happier to find some (hillier) roads inland away
    > from the River.

    Thanks for the reminder. That's true.

    You are better off on the Pennsylvania side between I-80 and Belvidere.

    The I-80 bridge does allow bikes.

    From there to Portland of Columbia, it's the interstate in New Jersey or 611 in Pennsylvania. I
    don't remember what if anything parallels it on the Jersey side. The DeLorme map doesn't show
    anything. There is car parking near the bridge that we used as a starting place for club rides that
    headed north from there. 611 is scenic. As I recall, it had no shoulders. Traffic isn't horrible,
    but is enough that I wouldn't take the kids there.

    Between Columbia NJ (Portland PA) and Belvidere, the Jersey side is 46 which is a 4-lane highway. I
    would rather ride the shoulder of an interstate. River Road, in Pennsylvania is nice.

    South of there, to Easton and Frenchtown, either side will do but the Jersey side is much better.
    South of Frenchtown, it's a choice of PA 32 or NY 29. 29 has more traffic but has good shoulders. 32
    has less traffic, but not so much less to qualify as quiet. When I went that way it was usually down
    one side, up the other.

    Most of the NJ-PA bridges have sidewalks. You can cross with the bike, but you must walk. Some have
    guards to make sure you do. You cannot cross the toll bridge in Easton, but you can cross the free
    bridge, walking.