Delaware river + Sesquahanna river tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
MD. It looks like a lot of fun and bloods boiling just thinking about it. Anyone ever done this or
sections of it. I,am looking for worthy diversions along the way. I'am sure there are hundreds.
Anyone intrested in joining me. I am just starting to plan it. I am thinking about 60 miles a
day or less. I am shooting for june or july of 2003, long day light. I want to travel light but
want to try to camp most of the way. Most of the route is close to civilization so I'am not
going to carry much food or food prep stuff. I'am going to try to plan in plenty of time 2 to 3
weeks. I don't want to ride in the rain and I want to enjoy myself. I may try to time the end
with a triathlon in MD. I don't know yet. Any info anyone might have would be appreciated. This
will be my first tour. Any words of wisdom from experienced tourers would be welcome also.

"Norm" <nomd @ netcarrier.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
> across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
> MD. It looks like a lot of fun and bloods boiling just thinking about it. Anyone ever done this or
> sections of it. I,am looking for worthy diversions along the way. I'am sure there are
> hundreds. Anyone intrested in joining me. I am just starting to plan it. I am thinking about
> 60 miles a day or less. I am shooting for june or july of 2003, long day light. I want to
> travel light but want to try to camp most of the way. Most of the route is close to
> civilization so I'am not going to carry much food or food prep stuff. I'am going to try to
> plan in plenty of time 2 to 3 weeks. I don't want to ride in the rain and I want to enjoy
> myself. I may try to time the end with a triathlon in MD. I don't know yet. Any info anyone
> might have would be appreciated. This will be my first tour. Any words of wisdom from
> experienced tourers would be welcome also.

I like the sound of this route. can you hhire bikes here? i am travelling from the UK.

>I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
>across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace

I find this idea very interesting. I have toyed with the idea of touring the length of the
Susquehanna...it branches northeast and north west in central Pa. The head waters seem to be in
south NY, near Bingham?? You might want to ask some BikePa people about the Delaware part as they
have previously (and maybe still) had a bike the Delaware tour. Good luck. I would be interested in
your plans and progress Dave

Norm wrote:

> I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper bucks, to Hancock NY and then
> across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
> MD.

Planning a route along the Delaware is easy. Most of the way, the obvious route is a good one. It is
better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side. I do not like 209 (PA side), but 521 and Old Mine
Road (NJ side) are much better.

Along 97 (between Hancock and Port Jervis) the ride is significantly better southbound. This is not
just because of it being downhill. Southbound, the canyon is on your right. Part of the way the road
follows the rim. Northbound, the scenery is across the road.

My first thought was ... Why stop at Hancock? Above that, the Delaware forks. Following either fork
is a good ride. It is good, low traffic roads, with relatively mild terrain, and easy navigating.

NY 30 follows the east fork. NY 10 follows the west fork. The headwaters of both are near the
Schoharie - Delaware county line. You could go up one and down the other. They are about 10 miles
apart there. I recommend that loop as a good beginner tour. This part of 30 is good, but north of
there it has more traffic than I like.

You could connect them on NY 23, but that is too much of a highway for me. My preference is to go a
little more north and connect on county road 2. If you try to cross over south of 23, there are big
hills. There are no bad roads in that area, but some are very hilly.

Planning a route along the Susqehanna is more difficult. The source is Otsego Lake (Cooperstown). At
least for the New York part, the obvious route is not the best one.

I am not familiar with the Pennsylvania part except for a few pieces. On the map, it doesn't look
easy to navigate. Some ride reports I have read recommend against 11. From the map, it looks like
there are other ways that should be better, but they are not obvious.

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, al davis wrote:

> ... good stuff about riding along the Delaware...
>
> Planning a route along the Susquehanna is more difficult. The source is Otsego Lake (Cooperstown).
> At least for the New York part, the obvious route is not the best one.
>
> I am not familiar with the Pennsylvania part except for a few pieces. On the map, it doesn't look
> easy to navigate. Some ride reports I have read recommend against 11. From the map, it looks like
> there are other ways that should be better, but they are not obvious.

I've ridden along the Sesquahanna in Pennsylvania twice. 11 isn't bad above Northumberland and 147,
on the eastern side of the river is nice, but hilly, from there south to Halifax. Getting into
Harrisburg from Halifax is a challenge but, if you are up to climbing a mile and a half of 10%
grade, 225 is a very nice road <grin>.

See http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour99/day48/day48.htm

which is my ride report, with pictures, from the last time I rode along that river.

Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

al davis wrote
> Why stop at Hancock? Above that, the Delaware forks.
> . . . You could go up one and down the other.

What an idea. Thanks for sharing it. I had never noticed how the ends of the East and West Branches
of the Delaware River come together so closely -- and how you could make a loop tour that way.

> . . . [ south of Hancock] along the Delaware is easy. Most of the way, the obvious route is a good
> one. It is better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side.

Generally that fits my experiences in the PA/NJ parts. Except that I'm happy to ride on River Rd in
PA between the Riverton / Belvidere car bridge and the footbridge between Portland and Columbia. But
mostly on the PA side I have been happier to find some (hillier) roads inland away from the River.

A pleasant side trip on the NJ side a bit south of Philipsburg is to ride SW down Pohatcong Creek,
which we like to reach by leaving the river at Riegelsville and first riding NE along the
Musconetcong River thru Warren Glen on Rt 627 and 639, then turning Left onto Municipal Dr - Rt 636
to get to the Pohatcong.

If you're into stopping at nice coffee shops, then it's worth a little side trip to go across the
(smaller) bridge from Philipsburg into Easton PA, straight to the main square/circle, then turn
south a block or two.

Ken

>I'am trying to map out a route up the Delaware river, from upper
bucks, to
> >Hancock NY and then across to the Sesquahanna and down to Harv'e de grace
>
> I find this idea very interesting. I have toyed with the idea of touring the length of the
> Susquehanna...it branches northeast and north west in central Pa. The head waters seem to be in
> south NY, near Bingham?? You might want to ask some BikePa people about the Delaware part as they
> have previously (and maybe still) had a bike the Delaware tour. Good luck. I would be interested
> in your plans and progress Dave

FYI,the headwaters of the Susquehanna are in southern NY state, specifically Otsego Lake in
Cooperstown, NY.

Ken Roberts wrote:

>
>> It is better to stay on the New York - New Jersey side.
>
> Generally that fits my experiences in the PA/NJ parts.  Except that I'm happy to ride on River Rd
> in PA between the Riverton / Belvidere car bridge and the footbridge between Portland and
> Columbia.  But mostly on the PA side I have been happier to find some (hillier) roads inland away
> from the River.

Thanks for the reminder. That's true.

You are better off on the Pennsylvania side between I-80 and Belvidere.

The I-80 bridge does allow bikes.

From there to Portland of Columbia, it's the interstate in New Jersey or 611 in Pennsylvania. I
don't remember what if anything parallels it on the Jersey side. The DeLorme map doesn't show
anything. There is car parking near the bridge that we used as a starting place for club rides that
headed north from there. 611 is scenic. As I recall, it had no shoulders. Traffic isn't horrible,
but is enough that I wouldn't take the kids there.

Between Columbia NJ (Portland PA) and Belvidere, the Jersey side is 46 which is a 4-lane highway. I
would rather ride the shoulder of an interstate. River Road, in Pennsylvania is nice.

South of there, to Easton and Frenchtown, either side will do but the Jersey side is much better.
South of Frenchtown, it's a choice of PA 32 or NY 29. 29 has more traffic but has good shoulders. 32
has less traffic, but not so much less to qualify as quiet. When I went that way it was usually down
one side, up the other.

Most of the NJ-PA bridges have sidewalks. You can cross with the bike, but you must walk. Some have
guards to make sure you do. You cannot cross the toll bridge in Easton, but you can cross the free
bridge, walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.