Delta Trike (Kettwiesel) Questions

mapletrail

Dec 12, 2005
I am considering buying a Kettwiesel and was hoping for comments from someone with even a little experience with delta trikes. I’m 60+ and do mostly trail riding & shopping. A friend thinks I'm crazy to spend this kind of money on a "bicycle" but he spent 4 times as much on a motorbike and didn't even get any exercise thrown in! Can you believe it?

Some questions, please.

1) I would like to get out of the derailleur maintenance business & wanted a Schlumpf 2 Speed Drive at the front and a Shimano Nexus 8 hub at the rear, giving 16 gears? The HASE catalog shows both as options on the Kettwiesel if I’m reading it right. A top-shelf recumbent dealer advised against this, citing increased friction. But I wonder how an internal hub setup can have any more friction than a derailleur & cassette?

Can anyone comment on how this would compare to the standard Schlumpf + 9 speed derailleur drive train, or if it’s actually available?

2) So let's say you're pedaling uphill & get a little tired. Hey, that can happen, you know! You decide to walk…, ah, I mean change exercise modes. How do you push/steer/pull this USS trike up a hill?

3) So I’ve walked a little bit and want to sit down again. With 3 wheels, I should have no trouble getting started uphill again, right. Or is it true the front wheel might lift/skitter if you have no added weight (pannier) up there?

mapletrail said:
I am considering buying a Kettwiesel and was hoping for comments from someone with even a little experience with delta trikes. I’m 60+ and do mostly trail riding & shopping. A friend thinks I'm crazy to spend this kind of money on a "bicycle" but he spent 4 times as much on a motorbike and didn't even get any exercise thrown in! Can you believe it?

Some questions, please.

1) I would like to get out of the derailleur maintenance business & wanted a Schlumpf 2 Speed Drive at the front and a Shimano Nexus 8 hub at the rear, giving 16 gears? The HASE catalog shows both as options on the Kettwiesel if I’m reading it right. A top-shelf recumbent dealer advised against this, citing increased friction. But I wonder how an internal hub setup can have any more friction than a derailleur & cassette?

Can anyone comment on how this would compare to the standard Schlumpf + 9 speed derailleur drive train, or if it’s actually available?

2) So let's say you're pedaling uphill & get a little tired. Hey, that can happen, you know! You decide to walk…, ah, I mean change exercise modes. How do you push/steer/pull this USS trike up a hill?

3) So I’ve walked a little bit and want to sit down again. With 3 wheels, I should have no trouble getting started uphill again, right. Or is it true the front wheel might lift/skitter if you have no added weight (pannier) up there?
hi there Mapletrail
You could have written that for me. I'm looking at Ketts, Ride, normal with diff/Nexus/Schlumpf. Comes quite expensive, but wonder whether it would be too heavy for me, I'm 5'3" female and quite active 61. Have you had any replies I would be interested to hear from other folk on this site. Have seen really good report of the Ride on this site but of course the difference is between a strong/fit/male and me is tremendous.

mapletrail said:

Some questions, please.

hi there Mapletrail
You could have written that for me. I'm looking at Ketts, Ride, normal with diff/Nexus/Schlumpf. Comes quite expensive, but wonder whether it would be too heavy for me, I'm 5'3" female and quite active 61. Have you had any replies I would be interested to hear from other folk on this site. Have seen really good report of the Ride on this site but of course the difference is between a strong/fit/male and me is tremendous.

catminder said:
hi there Mapletrail
Catminder,

No, I haven’t received any answers yet. My wife & I plan to share this trike if we get it. She is 5’ and I am 5’11 but we hope we won't to add/remove chain links to trade off. She prefers a more upright pedaling position and so we are also looking into the Lepus model.

If by “too heavy” you were referring to the trike, I don’t think this would be a problem for you since they weigh 37 to 45 pounds, not so bad if you’re not racing! Consider the Penninger Voyager specs at ~52 pounds. The Hase catalog also features the Lepus Comfort for “Seniors”, not to say you are in this category : ).

You can find a detailed (albeit technical at times) discussion about the usefulness of the geared hubs vs. derailleurs here (I have also posted there):

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=1590283#

Thanks Mapletrail
The KW Ride is 45 lbs without nexus and schlumpf. No I wouldn't consider the Lepus for Seniors yet! I can see how it would be advantageous eventually though. I think either the Lepus (ordinary) or the Kettwiesel would be preferable. Another one I'm trying to find information about is the Sinner Comfort, from Holland. The website is not in English though. I find it easier to look at the German version because I haven't a clue of Dutch. I

I just purchased an ice trike and love it! I've had a hase for several years now, but I could not keep up with my husband on his scorpion, and I always struggled with the shlumpf drive. My husband has the internal hub, which we have on our old bike E's and I love that- it is the best gearing system. You can be at a dead stop and shift- no problems, ever. I needed a little adjustment time with the ice trike- and still think it would probably be perfect with the internal hub, which can be done on the ice.
I loved the comfort of the Hase, the seat height, and the turning radius, especially going down hill fast! I have to say though, I haven't lost much of that with the ice- I feel pretty comfortable taking curves at a good speed. The thing that annoys is the turning radius. With the hase you could turn on a dime, just can't do it with a tadpole. Also take note of where your seat is in relationship to your feet. Even though the hase sits up higher, your feet are also a bit higher, and I found that contributed to knee and hip stress for me. I haven't had any of that with the ice trike.
As far as pulling the hase up a hill just grab the front tire and go- it is pretty light weight!
I'm not that familiar with all the mechanics of trikes, so I'm afraid I'm not much help with questions on that front. I strongly suggest trying different styles of trikes, and what I've seen over the years, it seems that the tadpole styles are improving by leaps and bounds. Both of us have folding trikes that fit into the back of our honda crv. I can lift it with ease, and I have a bad back. Hope this helps!