Demand for wider tyres, 28x700c

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
Much to my surprise, when I advertised some tyres in the Quokka (Trading Post) I was swamped with inquiries from older riders of older iron frame bikes looking for 1" - 1&1/4" 700c tyres.

In less than 24 hours I sold 4 Kenda Kwest and 2 Maxxis Detonator 28x700c tyres and 4 28mm tubes. :rolleyes:

So, if upgrading from the original wider tyres to 23mm Contis, don't throw them out, sell them in the Trading Post/Quokka, they are in demand. :cool:

gclark8 said:
Much to my surprise, when I advertised some tyres in the Quokka (Trading Post) I was swamped with inquiries from older riders of older iron frame bikes looking for 1" - 1&1/4" 700c tyres.

In less than 24 hours I sold 4 Kenda Kwest and 2 Maxxis Detonator 28x700c tyres and 4 28mm tubes. :rolleyes:

So, it upgrading from the original wide tyres to 23mm Contis, don't throw them out, sell them in the Trading Post/Quokka, they are in demand. :cool:
Better yet, hang them in the closet, away from direct sunlight (UV degrades the rubber). That way, when you get tired of getting a flat-a-ride, and the numbness in your hands takes longer to go away, you get tired of giving your dentist all your cash to replace the fillings that have shaken loose, they'll be there patiently waiting for you.

PS: a wider tire (tyre? WTF is that? Don't go around mangling the language: that's what the Brits are for :D ) due to its' larger cross section deforms less under your weight, and thereby provides lower rolling resistance. The hard part is finding sub-250g 25c tires.....

sabretech2001 said:
PS: a wider tire (tyre? WTF is that? Don't go around mangling the language: that's what the Brits are for :D )

Sabre, here in Australia we spell it correctly - it is you guys that have it wrong.
:D

I'm not suprised. There are a lot more 'not so young' on bikes these days. Once your hands are sore from one ride to the another, you start to think if you really need those 23's or whether you'd prefer just to have a good time while leaving those hands behind. Unless one is averaging 30-40km/h, those 700x28 may not feel that much slower I suspect. That is unless you park it in a cafe, where all the 'mistakes' become so obvious :eek:.

I've recently performed the "upgrade" the other way around... I went from 700x23 to 700x32. Yes, they do fit on my commuter - a 20-something-year-old steel beauty. Lugged, of course.

I'm very pleased with the result. While I've ridden some really horrible 27"1/4 rubber on bikes years back, this time the Conti SportContact perform very well. I'm not that much slower but I can brake a lot better and my hands do not rattle after the ride for hours and hours.... The reflective sidewall on these just makes them ever so gorgeous.

I still keep my Michie ProRace for that Sunday ride with Boys and Girls...

gclark8 said:

So, it upgrading from the original wide tyres to 23mm Contis, don't throw them out, sell them in the Trading Post/Quokka, they are in demand. :cool:

I trained on a set of 700cx28 Vittoria Randonneurs for 12 months on my last bike with no punctures. It was comfy running 80psi as well. When I chucked the 23mm Pro Races on for racing it felt like I was fair flying as well.

I won't buy into the spell cheque debate. :)

However, I do wish the same demand existed for all the 26x1.95 MTB/Comfort bike tyres I have stored up from fitting slicks to ladies MTBs. :eek:

sabretech2001 said:
(tyre? WTF is that? Don't go around mangling the language: that's what the Brits are for :D )
au contraire, when the English-speaking world wants to "access" really mangled language, we go to America!

62vette said:
I trained on a set of 700cx28 Vittoria Randonneurs for 12 months on my last bike with no punctures.
I've recently bought a Giant CRX1 fitted with Maxxis detonators. I've had two punctures in three weeks riding to work (since moving up from my MTB I've started to notice how much glass there is on the roads and bike paths).

What are some suggestions for tougher, more puncture resistant tyres? 12 months on the same set sounds more than good!

rrsamac said:
I've recently bought a Giant CRX1 fitted with Maxxis detonators. I've had two punctures in three weeks riding to work (since moving up from my MTB I've started to notice how much glass there is on the roads and bike paths).

What are some suggestions for tougher, more puncture resistant tyres? 12 months on the same set sounds more than good!
I got $40 for a pair of 28mm Maxxis Detonators last Thursday :) and replaced them with Conti Ultra Gator Skins in 23mm.

Edit: Conti Sport Contact 28x700c were my second choice for those wheels, but they would not fit the Felt front forks. :(

rrsamac said:

I personally find Detonators pretty rugged. Kind of no frills commuter tyre.

If you're after something more rugged then have a look at these: Vittoria Randonneur or Continental SportContact. They both come in 700x28 or bigger.

Vittoria Randonneurs are very tough. SportContacts are faster (and more expensive).

cluster blaster said:
I personally find Detonators pretty rugged. Kind of no frills commuter tyre.

If you're after something more rugged then have a look at these: Vittoria Randonneur or Continental SportContact. They both come in 700x28 or bigger.

Vittoria Randonneurs are very tough. SportContacts are faster (and more expensive).

Conti Gatorskins handle much better than the Vittoria Randoneurs and the Sport Contacts.
The local distributor wont import the 28x700c size though so I bring mine in from the US.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Conti Gatorskins handle much better than the Vittoria Randoneurs and the Sport Contacts.
The local distributor wont import the 28x700c size though so I bring mine in from the US.

Cheers

Geoff
I'd like to have a go at Gatorskins in size 700x28 too. Are you actaully going to the US in person or buying online? If online, can you give us a link to that shop?

geoffs said:

Cheers

Geoff
Geoff

I fitted Conti Ultra Gatorskins in 700 x 28c at the end of June supplied from Bikeforce Southern River (Perth) to replace 32 mm sport contacts.

cluster blaster said:
I'd like to have a go at Gatorskins in size 700x28 too. Are you actaully going to the US in person or buying online? If online, can you give us a link to that shop?

I buy online from Tandems East
They dont have the most sophisticated website but I've been buying parts from for 15yrs with no problems.
Mel will get the tyres into the smallest possible box which cuts the postage a bit.

Geoff
Co-motion Mocha Copilot (from Tandems East)