Demanding a new headset from the LBS?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by the beef, Jun 6, 2006.

1. the beef

the beef New Member

So I've got a 2005 Bianchi Brava - the last model year to feature a threaded headset w/ quill stem and all. I'm kicking myself right now for not going for the 2006 w/ threadless. Here's the deal.

The stock, 3-month old headset comes loose within a few days of getting tightened up properly. I took it into the bike shop twice - each time they took their wrenches and tightened it, only to have it get loose again on the trail, etc. The third time, they disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled/tightened it, and said I was good to go. Instead, it came loose again within twenty miles.

I'm now two days out of my LBS's 90-day free service period, but this has been happening since day one and it still hasn't been resolved. The last time I was there, the mechanic gave me the impression that I would have to pay for a replacement headset if it came to that, but he also mentioned that I had supposedly stripped the headset by riding on it while it was loose. Which wouldn't be my fault, given that it had been coming loose since day one. However, it complicates things that I tightened it up once with an ordinary crescent (stripping the finish but getting the job done).

So I'm heading down to the LBS sooner or later but I'm not sure what I should push for. What if they tell me I'll have to pay for a new headset? What if it turns out the fork is at fault? The 05 is still pretty much new, albeit with signs of hard riding. So I'm not sure how much I'm in a position to demand. Some told me to insist on a new headset, or a threadless fork, or even a NEW BIKE. I don't know what to do.

Tags:

2. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

Tough call. I really don't think I'd push for anything in specific. I guess I take my LBS mechanics/owner for granted. They're always really nice to me and even told me that basically any part on a bike I bought there could be returned and exchanged. I'd just tell them, peacefully may I add, that you have done nothing to the headset to make it fail on you. It may even be a bad headset, maybe you should contact the manufacturer? Just a thought. I'd tell your LBS that you want to work together to get your bike running smoothly and basically just try to compromise. It sounds like your LBS is being a dick about this whole thing. I know if I had a problem with my bike, they'd fix it for me for free guaranteed. Hope everything works out. Post and let us know what happened.

3. vchu7105

vchu7105 New Member

I wonder if the LBS are basically asked by Bike companies to deny most claims.or the process to replace an item is much harder under warranty..hoping you will go away. I had trouble with a Shimano pedal and they kept on asking me to test it out many times....After a couple of testing on the pedal it should have been replaced.

4. roadfix

roadfix New Member

Following your posts and replies from the past few days, I believe your LBS owes you a new headset. Seems to me like it was defective from day one.

The Fixer