Denny Creek Hill Climb TT

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Reid, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Any folks in the Northwest that have done this hill climb? What is the profile like? Seems to only
    have a 5% average gradient. Are there some really shallow sections with 8 or 9% sections to get the
    average up to 5%?

    Reid

    Tags:

  2. I did it a couple of years ago. Cant really tell you the exact gradient, but my memory was that
    towards the end (last mile or two), it gets much steeper. Maybe 7-8% gradient? I can say this: it is
    notably steeper than the I-90 portions of the route up to the pass.

    Reid wrote:

    >Any folks in the Northwest that have done this hill climb? What is the profile like? Seems to only
    >have a 5% average gradient. Are there some really shallow sections with 8 or 9% sections to get the
    >average up to 5%?
    >
    >Reid

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:23:18 -0700, "Reid" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any folks in the Northwest that have done this hill climb? What is the profile like? Seems to only
    >have a 5% average gradient. Are there some really shallow sections with 8 or 9% sections to get the
    >average up to 5%?

    A topo program is great for plotting road rides, with gradient profiles and more. I use DeLorme's
    Topo USA 4. Give me some coords, towns, etc and I'll post the stats.

    Doug

  4. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Thanks Doug.

    I got a thumbnail sketch from the race organizer but I would love more detail from topo programs
    like the one you have.

    The TT is in Washington state about 70km east of Seattle just off highway 90 near Snoqualmie Pass.
    Look for Denny Creek and Denny Creek campgrounds. Is that enough to start?

    Reid

    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:23:18 -0700, "Reid" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Any folks in the Northwest that have done this hill climb? What is the profile like? Seems to
    > >only have a 5% average gradient. Are there some really shallow sections with 8 or 9% sections to
    > >get the average up to
    5%?

    > A topo program is great for plotting road rides, with gradient profiles and more. I use DeLorme's
    > Topo USA 4. Give me some coords, towns, etc and I'll post the stats.
    >
    > Doug

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >I got a thumbnail sketch from the race organizer but I would love more detail from topo programs
    >like the one you have.
    >
    >The TT is in Washington state about 70km east of Seattle just off highway 90 near Snoqualmie Pass.
    >Look for Denny Creek and Denny Creek campgrounds. Is that enough to start?

    Ok, a quick Google found info on the campground.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/recreation/activities/campgrounds/denny.htm

    Following the directions listed there, the topo program took me to what looks like the campground
    between the sides of I-90. Now the Q is, on what part of Denny Creek Rd. is the TT held?

    I saved the Topo data to the files here: http://draizk.tripod.com/maps/

    The tif is 4.4MB if you have a fast connection, the jpg is 650k.

    Denny Lake is there slightly to the upper left, and what probably is the creek running from it. The
    data shows a steep trail headed that way, maybe it's paved now. But otherwise, the red line is 2
    miles long, highlighting what the map on the campground link calls Denny Creek Rd., ending at the
    entrance to the campground, starting near exit 47 on I-90.

    Take a look and ID the TT stretch and I'll have the topo generate a profile. This thing is
    invaluable for planning hilly rides.

    Doug

  6. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > Denny Lake is there slightly to the upper left, and what probably is the creek running from it.
    > The data shows a steep trail headed that way, maybe it's paved now. But otherwise, the red line is
    > 2 miles long, highlighting what the map on the campground link calls Denny Creek Rd., ending at
    > the entrance to the campground, starting near exit 47 on I-90.

    the part of the road that you're showing is flat, unless i'm really losing it, and if so i apologize
    for butting in.

    ( an aside - the steep trail on your map is exactly that, not paved and follows denny creek up to
    lake melakwa.)

    i had assumed the tt followed the road to the north and east of what you are showing (heading up to
    snoqualmie pass) i don't see that part of the road on the map you posted, but on my us dept of the
    interior (snoqualmie pass quadrangle) it shows up nicely.

    hth, h

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >> Denny Lake is there slightly to the upper left, and what probably is
    >
    >the part of the road that you're showing is flat, unless i'm really losing it, and if so i
    >apologize for butting in.

    It is basically, 350' gain over 2 miles.

    >( an aside - the steep trail on your map is exactly that, not paved and follows denny creek up to
    >lake melakwa.)

    Gotcha.

    >i had assumed the tt followed the road to the north and east of what you are showing (heading up to
    >snoqualmie pass) i don't see that part of the road on the map you posted, but on my us dept of the
    >interior (snoqualmie pass quadrangle) it shows up nicely.

    It's there in the data, I just didn't include it. I'm waiting on Reid to post more info from
    his race ad.

    Doug