Dent on rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SniperX, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. SniperX

    SniperX New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    are small dents on the rims normal? will they affect performance ?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Small dents are not "normal". They may or may not affect performance. Mostly you get pulsating
    brakes, the risk of a tire blowoff and the chance the tire may be abraded by the brakes, depending
    on how bad the dent is. Also, you may have a structurally compromised wheel since the spoke tension
    at that one spot is likely to be incorrect. I once dinged my rear rim on my MTB on a rock. It was a
    significant dent, very obvious from 2 or 3 feet away. I rode it that way for 2 weeks with no ill
    effects other than an almost useless rear brake. I eventually rebuilt the wheel with a new rim. It's
    almost a case of what can you live with, really.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson