dental student applying to medical school

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bookworm, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Bookworm

    Bookworm Guest

    I'm currently a 2nd yr dental student wishing to apply to medical school for the 2004-2005
    application cycle. I intend to apply for first year MD programs ( will not apply for advanced
    standing ) and, if accepted, I will be starting my first year of medical school right before my 4rd
    yr of dental school. For personal reasons, I do not plan to apply to DO schools.

    I had received a BS degree in engineering from a respected tier 1 private university. I ended up
    graduating with a 2.98 gpa overall and in science ( with about 4 W's, 2 D's, and 6 C's, with
    everything else being A's and B's ).

    In dental school, I'm managing about a 2.7 gpa. My gpa is low but, then again, the dental curriculum
    is rigorous and has about 26-30 credits per term in sciences and dental labs. Also, all the basic
    science courses ( biochem, histo, cell bio, gross anatomy, etc. ) I took doesn't seem any different
    from those in med schools.

    Given that I was able to come this far, I know and I am confident in myself that I can handle an MD
    curriculum.

    I plan to take the MCAT this April. However, due to my dental courses, I cannot provide myself ample
    time to study for this exam. ( can't take it in August because my 3rd yr courses will begin in July
    and there will be no summer breaks ). I also don't remember much of undergrad physics/orgo and the
    MCAT's bio section seems somewhat different from the basic sciences I've been learning.

    I realistically expect a 27-ish ( 9's across all sections ) score on my MCAT. Also, throughout the
    last 3 yrs, I was not able to hold any extracurriculars/volunteer experience because of my busy
    schedule in dental school. My dental profs will be writing my recs based on my 2.7 gpa, so I don't
    expect great letters.

    I am a NY resident and understand that SUNY schools are highly competitive. Hence, I'll just be
    applying to a batch of low-end private schools like Albany, Finch, MCP, Temple, Tulane, GWU,
    Jefferson, etc.

    Anyways, what do you guys think? Will I be able to make it anywhere? Am I wasting my time? Do
    medical schools look favorably on candidates from dental schools? Would I be a stronger applicant if
    I graduated from dental school? What should I do?

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'd be happy to make a couple comments. But you'll have to take what I take with a grain of salt,
    since I go to GW, which I believe you called "a low-end private school".

    1. It is near impossible to get into medical school with a GPA below 3.0. There are ways to
    overcome a low undergraduate GPA, such as a strong MCAT scores, a high GPA in post-bacc or
    graduate courses.

    2. Your dental school GPA isn't that strong. I agree that the dental curriculum is rigorous, but the
    medical school curriculum is even harder. The bottom line is that your dental school record will
    probably do little to convince medical schools that you've been able to turn things around.

    3. You plan to get 27 on the MCAT may be unrealistic. It's very hard to do well on the MCAT unless
    you got A's in your undergraduate courses (bio, chem, org, phys). In addition, you probably need
    a strong MCAT score (at least 33) to have any chance at all.

    Here's what I suggest.

    4. You need to take some time to figure out why you don't want to be a dentist, and why you want to
    be a doctor.

    5. You also need to take some time to figure out why you haven't been able to do well academically.
    You say that you are "confident in myself that I can handle an MD curriculum", but your actual
    record doesn't support this. I'm not trying to rag on your, but no medical school will take you
    seriously until you demonstrate this.

    6. If you really want to become a doctor, you may need to retake your premed courses (and get all
    A's) in order to demonstrate that you can indeed do well academically. You may also need to take
    an addition 30 credits of sciences courses on top of this (getting all A's).

    7. In short, I think you'll need a 4.0 GPA over 30 to 60 credits of science courses (bio, chem, org,
    phys), and at least a 33 on the MCAT to have a chance.

    --
    Mike
    George Washington University School of Medicine

    "bookworm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm currently a 2nd yr dental student wishing to apply to medical
    > school for the 2004-2005 application cycle. I intend to apply for
    > first year MD programs ( will not apply for advanced standing ) and,
    > if accepted, I will be starting my first year of medical school right
    > before my 4rd yr of dental school. For personal reasons, I do not plan
    > to apply to DO schools.
    >
    > I had received a BS degree in engineering from a respected tier 1
    > private university. I ended up graduating with a 2.98 gpa overall and
    > in science ( with about 4 W's, 2 D's, and 6 C's, with everything else
    > being A's and B's ).
    >
    > In dental school, I'm managing about a 2.7 gpa. My gpa is low but,
    > then again, the dental curriculum is rigorous and has about 26-30
    > credits per term in sciences and dental labs. Also, all the basic
    > science courses ( biochem, histo, cell bio, gross anatomy, etc. ) I
    > took doesn't seem any different from those in med schools.
    >
    > Given that I was able to come this far, I know and I am confident in
    > myself that I can handle an MD curriculum.
    >
    > I plan to take the MCAT this April. However, due to my dental courses,
    > I cannot provide myself ample time to study for this exam. ( can't
    > take it in August because my 3rd yr courses will begin in July and
    > there will be no summer breaks ). I also don't remember much of
    > undergrad physics/orgo and the MCAT's bio section seems somewhat
    > different from the basic sciences I've been learning.
    >
    > I realistically expect a 27-ish ( 9's across all sections ) score on
    > my MCAT. Also, throughout the last 3 yrs, I was not able to hold any
    > extracurriculars/volunteer experience because of my busy schedule in
    > dental school. My dental profs will be writing my recs based on my 2.7
    > gpa, so I don't expect great letters.
    >
    > I am a NY resident and understand that SUNY schools are highly
    > competitive. Hence, I'll just be applying to a batch of low-end
    > private schools like Albany, Finch, MCP, Temple, Tulane, GWU,
    > Jefferson, etc.
    >
    > Anyways, what do you guys think? Will I be able to make it anywhere?
    > Am I wasting my time? Do medical schools look favorably on candidates
    > from dental schools? Would I be a stronger applicant if I graduated
    > from dental school? What should I do?

  3. Kent H.

    Kent H. Guest

    What dental school are you in? Depending on that there is something going for you you may have not
    considered. Regardless of how phenomenal the grade point credentials are for most medical students,
    there are always several that for various reasons drop out of their classes, creating vacancies in
    the 3rd and 4th year, more rarely, even in the 2nd year. It's hard for medical school admissions
    people to find people to fill these positions with the proper credentials. You may have more going
    for you than you realize. Kent

    bookworm wrote:

    > I'm currently a 2nd yr dental student wishing to apply to medical school for the 2004-2005
    > application cycle. I intend to apply for first year MD programs ( will not apply for advanced
    > standing ) and, if accepted, I will be starting my first year of medical school right before my
    > 4rd yr of dental school. For personal reasons, I do not plan to apply to DO schools.
    >
    > I had received a BS degree in engineering from a respected tier 1 private university. I ended up
    > graduating with a 2.98 gpa overall and in science ( with about 4 W's, 2 D's, and 6 C's, with
    > everything else being A's and B's ).
    >
    > In dental school, I'm managing about a 2.7 gpa. My gpa is low but, then again, the dental
    > curriculum is rigorous and has about 26-30 credits per term in sciences and dental labs. Also, all
    > the basic science courses ( biochem, histo, cell bio, gross anatomy, etc. ) I took doesn't seem
    > any different from those in med schools.
    >
    > Given that I was able to come this far, I know and I am confident in myself that I can handle an
    > MD curriculum.
    >
    > I plan to take the MCAT this April. However, due to my dental courses, I cannot provide myself
    > ample time to study for this exam. ( can't take it in August because my 3rd yr courses will begin
    > in July and there will be no summer breaks ). I also don't remember much of undergrad physics/orgo
    > and the MCAT's bio section seems somewhat different from the basic sciences I've been learning.
    >
    > I realistically expect a 27-ish ( 9's across all sections ) score on my MCAT. Also, throughout the
    > last 3 yrs, I was not able to hold any extracurriculars/volunteer experience because of my busy
    > schedule in dental school. My dental profs will be writing my recs based on my 2.7 gpa, so I don't
    > expect great letters.
    >
    > I am a NY resident and understand that SUNY schools are highly competitive. Hence, I'll just be
    > applying to a batch of low-end private schools like Albany, Finch, MCP, Temple, Tulane, GWU,
    > Jefferson, etc.
    >
    > Anyways, what do you guys think? Will I be able to make it anywhere? Am I wasting my time? Do
    > medical schools look favorably on candidates from dental schools? Would I be a stronger applicant
    > if I graduated from dental school? What should I do?

  4. Njbmd

    Njbmd Guest

    Hi there, Finish dental school and then apply for medical school. Most medical schools require you
    to finish any graduate degree (dentistry included) before they will admit you. Besides, you can use
    the money that you can make moonlighting.

    njbmd

    "bookworm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm currently a 2nd yr dental student wishing to apply to medical school for the 2004-2005
    > application cycle. I intend to apply for first year MD programs ( will not apply for advanced
    > standing ) and, if accepted, I will be starting my first year of medical school right before my
    > 4rd yr of dental school. For personal reasons, I do not plan to apply to DO schools.
    >
    > I had received a BS degree in engineering from a respected tier 1 private university. I ended up
    > graduating with a 2.98 gpa overall and in science ( with about 4 W's, 2 D's, and 6 C's, with
    > everything else being A's and B's ).
    >
    > In dental school, I'm managing about a 2.7 gpa. My gpa is low but, then again, the dental
    > curriculum is rigorous and has about 26-30 credits per term in sciences and dental labs. Also, all
    > the basic science courses ( biochem, histo, cell bio, gross anatomy, etc. ) I took doesn't seem
    > any different from those in med schools.
    >
    > Given that I was able to come this far, I know and I am confident in myself that I can handle an
    > MD curriculum.
    >
    > I plan to take the MCAT this April. However, due to my dental courses, I cannot provide myself
    > ample time to study for this exam. ( can't take it in August because my 3rd yr courses will begin
    > in July and there will be no summer breaks ). I also don't remember much of undergrad physics/orgo
    > and the MCAT's bio section seems somewhat different from the basic sciences I've been learning.
    >
    > I realistically expect a 27-ish ( 9's across all sections ) score on my MCAT. Also, throughout the
    > last 3 yrs, I was not able to hold any extracurriculars/volunteer experience because of my busy
    > schedule in dental school. My dental profs will be writing my recs based on my 2.7 gpa, so I don't
    > expect great letters.
    >
    > I am a NY resident and understand that SUNY schools are highly competitive. Hence, I'll just be
    > applying to a batch of low-end private schools like Albany, Finch, MCP, Temple, Tulane, GWU,
    > Jefferson, etc.
    >
    > Anyways, what do you guys think? Will I be able to make it anywhere? Am I wasting my time? Do
    > medical schools look favorably on candidates from dental schools? Would I be a stronger applicant
    > if I graduated from dental school? What should I do?

  5. Noob

    Noob Guest

    looks like a long shot for med. school (right now), esp.
    since your dental school gpa isn't that high (isn't even
    making up for your undergrad gpa).

    i suggest you buckle down and finish dental school, and then
    take the prereqs. for med. school after.

    med. schools don't like to see people jumping around from
    school to school...you should at least get your degree and
    not "quit" early...if you quit dental school early, then
    admissions committees will wonder if you're going to just
    "quit" med. school also...