Dented chainstay (pics)

tx_newbie

Jun 10, 2006
I have a dented driveside chainstay (cf pics)--Is this frame toast?

The dent measures 1.5 x 1 cm in surface area, to a focal depth of 0.2cm; the overall angle of the chainstay still runs "true" and is not visibly compromised on the other side. There are no shears or other visible stress to the chainstay. The drivetrain itself is unaffected.

On flatlands at 14-16 mph, I can't detect any faults...but I've not subjected it to higher speeds, interval road work, hard turning, or the hills. If I can't take it outside, maybe it could be a permanent indoor trainer (trainer, not roller).

FWIW, it is a Specialized comp, made from Columbus aluminum alloy; my weight = 152-158 lbs.

Thanks

Judging from the photos, a little dent like that on an aluminum frame shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately photographs are not a good medium for frame inspections, therefore, you should take it to a bike shop and have them take a look at it just to be safe. An accident that could cause a dent like that could have knocked other areas of the bike out of kilter and are not apparent to the untrained eye.

If you were going to use this as an excuse to buy a new bike, then delete the above and use thge following:
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU RIDE THIS BIKE EXCEPT AS A STATIONARY TRAINER!!!!

That should cover all the bases for you.:)

Looks like it is pretty minor to me, but as suggested, it is hard to tell from the photo alone.

tx_newbie said:
I have a dented driveside chainstay (cf pics)--Is this frame toast?

The dent measures 1.5 x 1 cm in surface area, to a focal depth of 0.2cm; the overall angle of the chainstay still runs "true" and is not visibly compromised on the other side. There are no shears or other visible stress to the chainstay. The drivetrain itself is unaffected.

On flatlands at 14-16 mph, I can't detect any faults...but I've not subjected it to higher speeds, interval road work, hard turning, or the hills. If I can't take it outside, maybe it could be a permanent indoor trainer (trainer, not roller).

FWIW, it is a Specialized comp, made from Columbus aluminum alloy; my weight = 152-158 lbs.

Thanks
Eh. Just do what me old man would have done in such a circumstance. Grab a mallet and whack that sucker back in place.

Of course he would do this knowing he didn't have to ride the damn thing. :D

from the supplied pics, its looks to be fine to ride, but id take it to a bike shop and have them look. Aluminum can be funny if its bent up just right...

in steel, id say go ahead and ride, steel is a bit better at taking bends and keep going. Maybe my next bike will be steel, wait it will im going to look at a $30 Schwinn mtb/comfort bike tomorrow for a beater (might be too nice of condition to be a beater even!).

if the shop says its ok, go out and ride it, but check it every day to make sure no cracks are forming. if cracks start forming, get a new frame and use all the components you currently have!