dented frame

nitrogenmustard

Feb 3, 2004
i crashed my bike and put a nice little dent in the top tube. It's about 1inch in an elliptical shape, and about a half an inch in from where is should be. the top tube is straight as far as i can see. Is it still rideable, and if not is it fixable?

Originally posted by nitrogenmustard
i crashed my bike and put a nice little dent in the top tube. It's about 1inch in an elliptical shape, and about a half an inch in from where is should be. the top tube is straight as far as i can see. Is it still rideable, and if not is it fixable?

Same thing happened on my aluminum tcr. Sold it and got a composite. I saw the bike again and what the new owner did was bring it to a paint shop had the dent filled and repainted good as new.:D

how bad is it? are there any creases where the dent is? what frame material? what kinda riding do you do?

id look into frame replacement thru the manufactuer, it took a while for me thru lemond/trek when my handlebar came around and dented my top tube pretty darn good in collision with a car. i dunno, its just money, and even tho i dont have very much i thought it was worth while.

how are your forks? was it a frontal collision?

Originally posted by tcr99
Same thing happened on my aluminum tcr. Sold it and got a composite. I saw the bike again and what the new owner did was bring it to a paint shop had the dent filled and repainted good as new.:D
Best to leave dented aluminum 'as is' so you can see if it's starting to crack.

Originally posted by nitrogenmustard

My first question is, "What kind of a frame is it?"

ya, i guess itd be especially bad if its cf

i think it really depends on how bad the dent is, and if some people tell you its ok that you trust then do what you feel comfortable with. if you keep riding it just be smart about it and pay attention, watch to see if the dent changes at all or if the bike feels funny. if so get off the bike or at least slow down. but you could very well get years and years of trouble free riding yet. or not.