Denver Riding Partner--Cherry Creek

xiaochou

Aug 24, 2004
I'm not sure how many Denver folks visit the site, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway...
I'm looking for a riding partner to do some training with when the weather is acceptable and then later in the early spring when it's more consistently warmer.
I'm specifically training for the Iron Horse Classic on May 28 and would like to put in some base miles here in February and March and then start getting a bit more intense in April/early May.
I'm sure there are groups out there around Denver that have all levels, but it would be nice to find somebody who wants to start getting in shape.
BTW, I live very near Cherry Creek Reservoir and usually do two circuits (21 miles from my home) on the weekends (Sa & Su)...this will increase as the weeks pass.
Any takers?

xiaochou said:
I'm not sure how many Denver folks visit the site, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway...
I'm looking for a riding partner to do some training with when the weather is acceptable and then later in the early spring when it's more consistently warmer.
I'm specifically training for the Iron Horse Classic on May 28 and would like to put in some base miles here in February and March and then start getting a bit more intense in April/early May.
I'm sure there are groups out there around Denver that have all levels, but it would be nice to find somebody who wants to start getting in shape.
BTW, I live very near Cherry Creek Reservoir and usually do two circuits (21 miles from my home) on the weekends (Sa & Su)...this will increase as the weeks pass.
Any takers?

Hello,
I too, live near the Cherry Creek Res. and have been doing some riding around the area. You asking for a training partner? Well, I am also looking for someone to ride with. I recently had major medical problems but am capable of riding as hard as you'd like. Maybe we can get together and do some riding!
Let me know what type of training you prefer to do.

snyper0311 said:
Hello,
I too, live near the Cherry Creek Res. and have been doing some riding around the area. You asking for a training partner? Well, I am also looking for someone to ride with. I recently had major medical problems but am capable of riding as hard as you'd like. Maybe we can get together and do some riding!

I am moving to Denver next year and am curious to know how the road racing scene is out there. The only races I have come across in that area are crits and track racing. Also, are there any decent clubs/teams out there open to non-pro racers?

memphiscyclist said:
I am moving to Denver next year and am curious to know how the road racing scene is out there. The only races I have come across in that area are crits and track racing. Also, are there any decent clubs/teams out there open to non-pro racers?

There are a lot of local races and events that you could do. I travel as far south as Silver City New Mexico for the Tour of the Gila in June. It's a 4 day event that has everything from a stage race to crit.

As far as clubs go, a lot of clubs also and a lot of group rides with the LBS around the area. It all depends as to what area you move to. I live in the southern subberbs of Denver and ride with two groups, Adventure Cycling and Treads Bike Shop. Most of the bike shops here have information on teams and races throughout the season.

There are also a lot of organized rides throughout the year. There are a lot of centuries and one day events. One ride that you NEED TO DO is the Triple bypass. This ride will let you know how tough you are! :eek:

Hope to see you here! Denver is a GREAT bike town!

snyper0311 said:
Hello,
Hey there...sorry for the long delay in responding.
Well, I'm pretty new to the sport so I'm not riding too terribly hard right now...I've been spending too much time in the gym on those horrible exercize bikes! But, I just got a trainer so that should ease the pain a bit.
As far as the type of training: I suppose just some easier riding for a few months and then in April I'd like to integrate some more intervals and maybe try to find some L-O-N-G hills to climb for practice. I like the Cherry Creek area because it's pretty traffic-free. I'm doing the equivalent of about 100 miles per week now....hope to kick that up to 180-200 or so by early May.
Let me know what you think and we can touch base.
Cheers.

xiaochou said:
Hey there...sorry for the long delay in responding.
Well, I'm pretty new to the sport so I'm not riding too terribly hard right now...I've been spending too much time in the gym on those horrible exercize bikes! But, I just got a trainer so that should ease the pain a bit.
As far as the type of training: I suppose just some easier riding for a few months and then in April I'd like to integrate some more intervals and maybe try to find some L-O-N-G hills to climb for practice. I like the Cherry Creek area because it's pretty traffic-free. I'm doing the equivalent of about 100 miles per week now....hope to kick that up to 180-200 or so by early May.
Let me know what you think and we can touch base.
Cheers.

As long as I'm on my bike, I'm HAPPY! If you want to ride, I ride every saturday at about 0800. I leave from the east side (Adventure Cycles) and do between two and four laps around the lake.

snyper0311 said:
As long as I'm on my bike, I'm HAPPY! If you want to ride, I ride every saturday at about 0800. I leave from the east side (Adventure Cycles) and do between two and four laps around the lake.
Nice. I live about a mile or so South of Adventure so that would work out. I'm actually on my mountain bike for the next few weeks, but will be equipped with a new roadie in about 2 weeks or so. I average about 17-18 on my mountain bike around that circuit...I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with you at that pace.....if not, no worries. Or...if you're up for more of a laid back ride.
Let me know what you think. (I don't know if I can keep up with that Orbea!!)
Chad