Deore crank as "stiff" as XTR?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by C. Eastman, May 31, 2003.

  1. C. Eastman

    C. Eastman Guest

    I have this good friend who claims that his $35 square taper Deore cranks are almost as light, and
    just as "stiff" as the Truvativ Team Stylo or XTR crank.

    With that said, are some cranks "stiffer" than others and does it really matter?

    I remember Keith Bontrager wrote a nice article on frame stiffness and how a flexy BB doesn't
    necessarily rob power from the rider. I understand how a frame can be "stiff" in the BB but cranks?

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "C. Eastman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have this good friend who claims that his $35 square taper Deore cranks are almost as light, and
    > just as "stiff" as the Truvativ Team Stylo or XTR crank.
    >
    > With that said, are some cranks "stiffer" than others and does it really matter?
    >
    > I remember Keith Bontrager wrote a nice article on frame stiffness and how a flexy BB
    > doesn't necessarily rob power from the rider. I understand how a frame can be "stiff" in the
    > BB but cranks?

    Stiffness isn't the reason for moving from square-taper spindles to ISIS/Octalink/XT-Dura-Ace
    pinch-bolt designs. The reason is to avoid breaking the cranks at the crank/spindle interface.
    That said, the square taper works fairly well. Not perfect, but in most circumstances it won't
    let you down.

    Cranks take a lot of load, and you really don't want them to bend at all. But I doubt a Deore crank
    would bend appreciably more than a fancier crank under normal use.

    A few moments with a scale will verify that Deore cranks are "almost as light" as others, but that
    almost is not good enough for many people, rightly or wrongly.

    Removing weight by replacing my gut with carbon fibre,

  3. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "C. Eastman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have this good friend who claims that his $35 square taper Deore cranks are almost as light, and
    > just as "stiff" as the Truvativ Team Stylo or XTR crank.
    >
    > With that said, are some cranks "stiffer" than others and does it really matter?

    I worked at a bike shop for almost 14 years, starting out as a wrench, then being the head wrench,
    and then getting promoted (or demoted, depending how you look at it) to manager. I and all the other
    wrench heads used to get crazy shaving a gram here, and adding titanum or carbon fiber wherever
    possible to make our rides stiffer and lighter. Did it really matter? Maybe in our heads it did, but
    quite frankly probably not. A basic XT build kit will probably suit any rider just as well as a
    fully tricked out custom component set. Maintentance and smart riding go a lot farther than a bag
    full of titanium bolts ;-)

  4. On Sat, 31 May 2003 19:09:52 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A few moments with a scale will verify that Deore cranks are "almost as light" as others, but that
    >almost is not good enough for many people, rightly or wrongly.
    >
    >Removing weight by replacing my gut with carbon fibre,

    Liposuction would probably give a better dollars-to-weight ratio than most of the really expensive
    bike gear.. it certainly would for me.

    Jasper