Deore crank: spider coming loose!

Travers Waker

Guest
Hi.

I've got a Deore Hollowtech crankset, just over a year old. In that year,
I've put some serious milage onto it, but no other abuse.

I was very unimpressed to discover that the spider is now loose (has play)
on the crank arm. I think they're attached to each other with splines, but
it doesn't look like they're designed to come apart, so I can't really check
that.

What I'd like to do is take the spider off the crank arm, and then put them
back together again with some bonding agent (Loctite/Epoxy?) on the splines.
Has anyone managed to get the spider off the crank arm of Deore cranks
before (without writing off the crank set)? If so, how?

The dealer that sold the cranks to me (as part of a complete bike) told me
that the guy who evaluates warranty claims said that this was "normal wear
and tear", and not covered by warranty. I've been thinking about this: How
can it be normal if the orginal chain rings are still okay to use a new
chain (they are), but the actual cranks need replacing? Maybe Deore cranks
have bolt-on chainrings so you can replace the arms and spider regularly,
but re-use the same chain rings!

Thanks for any help,

Travers

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:40:15 +0200, "Travers Waker" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I've got a Deore Hollowtech crankset, just over a year old. In that year,
>I've put some serious milage onto it, but no other abuse.
>
>I was very unimpressed to discover that the spider is now loose (has play)
>on the crank arm. I think they're attached to each other with splines, but
>it doesn't look like they're designed to come apart, so I can't really check
>that.
>
>What I'd like to do is take the spider off the crank arm, and then put them
>back together again with some bonding agent (Loctite/Epoxy?) on the splines.
>Has anyone managed to get the spider off the crank arm of Deore cranks
>before (without writing off the crank set)? If so, how?
>
>The dealer that sold the cranks to me (as part of a complete bike) told me
>that the guy who evaluates warranty claims said that this was "normal wear
>and tear", and not covered by warranty. I've been thinking about this: How
>can it be normal if the orginal chain rings are still okay to use a new
>chain (they are), but the actual cranks need replacing? Maybe Deore cranks
>have bolt-on chainrings so you can replace the arms and spider regularly,
>but re-use the same chain rings!
>
>Thanks for any help,
>
>Travers

Deore cranks are so cheap it's not worth investing much time or effort
in trying to repair this one. On the other hand, there's no way this
swaged junction should start coming apart before the rings wear out,
so you should be hassling your shop, the bike company and Shimano over
premature failure.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts